Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading: Recent Model X Trade-in Values to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I am upgrading from a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus to a new Model X Plaid (October EDD). In my state, we have high taxes (~10%), and the trade-in tax credit is significant, so I want to trade in to Tesla. I have a 7 seater, White on White, with FSD, the car has 33.8k miles on it now.

I bought it new for $98.3K, and Tesla is currently offering me $93.9k on trade-in, they are selling similiar used X’s for around $115K+. Big picture I cant complain for paying $4400 (+ $1700 for tires) to drive my Model X for 30 months. The high trade-in value is why I am wanting to upgrade.

What are others getting from Tesla for trade-in values on Model X? Anyone else upgrading? I saw my value go down $800 after the first estimate expired, but I did drive 2500 miles during the the time between assessments. Have others seen their value go down or up over time?

Last edited:
Hi!

I am upgrading from a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus to a new Model X Plaid (October EDD). In my state, we have high taxes (~10%), and the trade-in tax credit is significant, so I want to trade in to Tesla. I have a 7 seater, White on White, with FSD, the car has 33.8k miles on it now.

I bought it new for $98.3K, and Tesla is currently offering me $93.9k on trade-in, they are selling similiar used X’s for around $115K+. Big picture I cant complain for paying $4400 (+ $1700 for tires) to drive my Model X for 30 months. The high trade-in value is why I am wanting to upgrade.

What are others getting from Tesla for trade-in values on Model X? Anyone else upgrading? I saw my value go down $800 after the first estimate expired, but I did drive 2500 miles during the the time between assessments. Have others seen their value go down or up over time?
I currently have the same exact scenario. 2020 Blue MX LR Plus white interior FSD 24k miles and they are overing me $99.3k. Trading in for MX Plaid. But I will be losing unlimited Super Charging and the $8k I originally paid for FSD. I did pay $96k for it.

Reactions: steve86
I currently have the same exact scenario. 2020 Blue MX LR Plus white interior FSD 24k miles and they are overing me $99.3k. Trading in for MX Plaid. But I will be losing unlimited Super Charging and the $8k I originally paid for FSD. I did pay $96k for it.
Good trade!! I WISH i got 99k :) Its an incredible time to make the change, i am glad tesla Is giving good values on trades. it wasnt always this way. When do you take delivery. Definitely look over your car closely. I had some dings and nicks on my Plaid, that i didnt notice in the pouring rain in the lot where it was parked. DId you get your Plaid ordered before all the price increases?

I checked for fun the other day my 2020 X with 50k miles KBB said $90k. Crazy times. However, I also have lifetime unlimited supercharging so selling someday is going to be tough. Right now driving 20k miles a year, I would be spending over $7k in gas/year. I think they will also need an X with over 400 mile range to interest me.

Tesla trade-in estimate $81K - $88.7K for 2017 MX 100D, <22K miles, red, cream interior in excellent condition, no accidents. Purchase price was $119,500 with FSD added for $3K. Premium connectivity and Supercharging free for life. Surprised at high value so ordered new MX with everything the same. New MX priced at $138,940 with FSD and was to be 2023 delivery between April and July. Yesterday, delivery was changed to November 25, 2022 - February 3, 2023. New MX will not include free premium connectivity or Supercharging. Five years show only about 3% Supercharging and home has solar with free charging from the sun so I don't care about Supercharging fees. Since trade-in quote is only good for 30-days, I will need to request new quote once Tesla provides firm delivery date. Before Tesla, I had three MB S class vehicles that I traded in for a new MB S class after 2 - 3 years owning, all in perfect condition with same low mileage. MB trade-in only gave me an average of 30% trade-in value at < 3-years ownership. Tesla low end $81K provides 68% trade-in value after 5-years. Glad I got rid of all my MB vehicles and now only have two Teslas. New MX will be my 3rd Tesla, looking forward to delivery.

Reactions: jboy210
Purchased a 2017 X, 90D, 6-seat, 20", white interior, MSM, FSD, Free supercharging, 41000 miles used from tesla in 4/2020 for 65K.

Trading it in tomorrow with 72000 miles for 67K. So I drove for 2+ years and 30000 miles for free. I ordered LRMX in 5/21, just incase, and locked in the low price. When I saw the trade-in offer, I had to jump at the opportunity.

Tesla trade-in estimate $81K - $88.7K for 2017 MX 100D, <22K miles, red, cream interior in excellent condition, no accidents. Purchase price was $119,500 with FSD added for $3K. Premium connectivity and Supercharging free for life. Surprised at high value so ordered new MX with everything the same. New MX priced at $138,940 with FSD and was to be 2023 delivery between April and July. Yesterday, delivery was changed to November 25, 2022 - February 3, 2023. New MX will not include free premium connectivity or Supercharging. Five years show only about 3% Supercharging and home has solar with free charging from the sun so I don't care about Supercharging fees. Since trade-in quote is only good for 30-days, I will need to request new quote once Tesla provides firm delivery date. Before Tesla, I had three MB S class vehicles that I traded in for a new MB S class after 2 - 3 years owning, all in perfect condition with same low mileage. MB trade-in only gave me an average of 30% trade-in value at < 3-years ownership. Tesla low end $81K provides 68% trade-in value after 5-years. Glad I got rid of all my MB vehicles and now only have two Teslas. New MX will be my 3rd Tesla, looking forward to delivery.
Just updating, estimated delivery has now been changed back to April - July 2023. I noticed new orders placed today with the same configuration show estimated delivery of March - June 2023 so not sure why order completed in June would take longer vs a new order today? I wonder has anyone heard of any upgrades that may be pending for MX that may be causing delivery dates to be pushed out again?

After 14 months of waiting, I finally scheduled delivery of my 3rd MX for August 29. I previously leased the 2016 and 2019 models but am buying this one.

My 2019 7-seat FSD Raven has only 15k miles, and I bought out the lease for 60k when it expired in June assuming I could sell it for a lot more and giving me additional cash for my down payment on the new one. After seeing posts in these forums about the amounts Tesla offered other people, however, even though I wouldn't get quite as much as a private sale, freedom from hassles seemed worth the difference. So, I went through the trade-in process in my account.

But Tesla's offer was really disappointing--only about 80k. That was especially surprising because the car's in great shape except for a dent in the rear deck lid--caused by a Tesla mechanic who backed it into a pole during a service appointment to program new key fobs of all things. Tesla is replacing the entire trunk lid at their cost this week, so it should easily fetch a lot more.

Had Tesla offered $90k I would have taken it, but $80k makes no sense, especially after checking values online. KBB's trade-in estimate was $91k, with a range of $88-$94k, and givemethevin.com's range was $84-86k, but they said the price was negotiable. Third-party sales prices were even higher.

When I went the next step and asked givemethevin for a firm offer, however, their number was basically the same as Tesla...:( Fortunately, I was able to talk to one of their agents who said AutoCheck reported an accident or collision causing "moderate damage" in 2020 and that caused the lower offer.

I called AutoCheck (Experian) and filed a dispute. CarFax shows no accidents and the Experian rep said if the report was a mistake they'd correct it. We'll see--they said it will take 1-3 business days. I then called Tesla sales to see what could be done on their end and was told to send an email to [email protected]. I wrote them but have heard nothing yet. As a 3 time MX buyer (and my wife got a Model Y in December) I'd hope they'd at least give this a real review.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any other ideas about how to get this fixed?

Thanks

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
After 14 months of waiting, I finally scheduled delivery of my 3rd MX for August 29. I previously leased the 2016 and 2019 models but am buying this one.

My 2019 7-seat FSD Raven has only 15k miles, and I bought out the lease for 60k when it expired in June assuming I could sell it for a lot more and giving me additional cash for my down payment on the new one. After seeing posts in these forums about the amounts Tesla offered other people, however, even though I wouldn't get quite as much as a private sale, freedom from hassles seemed worth the difference. So, I went through the trade-in process in my account.

But Tesla's offer was really disappointing--only about 80k. That was especially surprising because the car's in great shape except for a dent in the rear deck lid--caused by a Tesla mechanic who backed it into a pole during a service appointment to program new key fobs of all things. Tesla is replacing the entire trunk lid at their cost this week, so it should easily fetch a lot more.

Had Tesla offered $90k I would have taken it, but $80k makes no sense, especially after checking values online. KBB's trade-in estimate was $91k, with a range of $88-$94k, and givemethevin.com's range was $84-86k, but they said the price was negotiable. Third-party sales prices were even higher.

When I went the next step and asked givemethevin for a firm offer, however, their number was basically the same as Tesla...:( Fortunately, I was able to talk to one of their agents who said AutoCheck reported an accident or collision causing "moderate damage" in 2020 and that caused the lower offer.

I called AutoCheck (Experian) and filed a dispute. CarFax shows no accidents and the Experian rep said if the report was a mistake they'd correct it. We'll see--they said it will take 1-3 business days. I then called Tesla sales to see what could be done on their end and was told to send an email to [email protected]. I wrote them but have heard nothing yet. As a 3 time MX buyer (and my wife got a Model Y in December) I'd hope they'd at least give this a real review.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any other ideas about how to get this fixed?

Thanks
Update-- Just got an email from AutoCheck saying the correction will be made today. The email didn't specify what the correction is, but I assume it is removing the accident report....

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017