Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading Rim size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
Listings
If you order a model x with 20 inch rims and down the road want to upgrade to the onyx 22 inch rims is it a normal swap out or does something with the software need to be programmed at the service center for the suspension to work correct ?

Thanks

If you order a model x with 20 inch rims and down the road want to upgrade to the onyx 22 inch rims is it a normal swap out or does something with the software need to be programmed at the service center for the suspension to work correct ?

Thanks

Technically there is a setting that only Tesla service can access which changes your car suspension settings from 20" to 22" wheels. However, many have swapped wheels without getting this changed and have reported that the car works fine.

Technically there is a setting that only Tesla service can access which changes your car suspension settings from 20" to 22" wheels. However, many have swapped wheels without getting this changed and have reported that the car works fine.

The software change is cosmetic, so the on screen images match up with what is installed. The wheels plus tires are the same dimensions. (the OD is the same).

The software change is cosmetic, so the on screen images match up with what is installed. The wheels plus tires are the same dimensions. (the OD is the same).

This is a different change. See a reference on Unplugged Performance's website for lowering links -

PLEASE NOTE: TO INSTALL ON YOUR MODEL X, YOU MUST HAVE THE 22″ WHEEL / TIRE SYSTEM CALIBRATION (THIS IS BY DEFAULT IF YOUR VEHICLE WAS FACTORY EQUIPPED WITH 22″ WHEELS, BUT CAN BE RECALIBRATED BY A TESLA SERVICE CENTER UPON REQUEST). YOU MAY USE ANY SIZE WHEELS ON YOUR TESLA X WITH THIS PRODUCT INSTALLED, BUT REGARDLESS OF YOUR WHEEL AND TIRE CHOICE, PLEASE ENSURE TESLA HAS CONFIGURED YOUR VEHICLE’S FIRMWARE FOR 22 INCH WHEELS.
Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model X - Unplugged Performance

This is a different change. See a reference on Unplugged Performance's website for lowering links -

Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model X - Unplugged Performance
That’s what I had seen, I’d like to get that lowering kit as well. I’m going to order my x with the 20’s and I just picked up a set of the 22’s tonight. Wanted to make sure if it was a real thing. Guess once it gets delivered I can tell them to program what ever they have to while it’s there.

Thanks