Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UPGRADING SINGLE to DUAL/ TWIN ONBOARD CHARGERS, possible? how? prog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an early 2016 P90DL that has only the single 40 charger onboard.

I want to either ADD a secondary charger for the "dual charger" to charge at 80A from HPWC. OR upgrade to the single 72A charger... are either of these possible?

If I go the dual charger route, do I need to buy a matched/ paired set or can I have a seperate programmed to be "master/ slave"??

The service center said they "dont program or change the car from its original configuration" who can do this? how much would this cost? do I buy the charger/s from you?

sory for all the questions after much searching, I cant seem to get a definate answer.
thank you!

I don't believe an upgrade to the 72 is a viable path for you.

Tesla USED to sell the second charger and would do the upgrade for you, but it's been a while.

There are likely a few around here that could assist, maybe they'll chime in.

Thank you or the response!
The Service center said that i cant upgrade to the 72K but didnt say why.....if that was technical or policy, supply reasons.
for adding the 2nd charger they just said they "dont do that anymore"" no reasons or if its just "THEM" or policy.

Thats why im now looking outside of Tesla Co. buying the charger or chargers and having done/ programmed (if needed.)

I want to either ADD a secondary charger for the "dual charger" to charge at 80A from HPWC. OR upgrade to the single 72A charger... are either of these possible?

If I go the dual charger route, do I need to buy a matched/ paired set or can I have a seperate programmed to be "master/ slave"??

The service center said they "dont program or change the car from its original configuration" who can do this? how much would this cost? do I buy the charger/s from you?

sory for all the questions after much searching, I cant seem to get a definate answer.
thank you!

We have done classic cars to upgrade to 80A twin chargers. I actually have a 72A charger in my garage. It should be possible. Do you have any plans to be in the OC area?

I don't believe an upgrade to the 72 is a viable path for you.

Tesla USED to sell the second charger and would do the upgrade for you, but it's been a while.

There are likely a few around here that could assist, maybe they'll chime in.

The 48/72 config is actually an additional charger board inside the unit. The newer cars only have "1" charger in both configs. And AFAIK with exception a small number of cars the 48's are all missing a board. There were rumors some cars have a upgrade option. I would assume that's a upgrade option in app?

However not having seen all chargers, or actually working for Tesla, I can not completely be sure of all the details. I have opened the 48/72A chargers I have.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think this may be one of those things where you need to keep asking enough different people within various Tesla service centers until you get the answer you want.

I have not heard of the older cars with the 40/40 charger system being able to get switched to the newer 48/72 system. I don't know if that is possible at all. But adding a second 40A charger used to be an a la carte service they offered after purchase, and they must have some way to get access to the 40A chargers for warranty replacements, so all of the pieces exist to be able to do this. It's just not an "on the books item" anymore. You just need to reach some service manager who has the autonomy to write up the order and get it done for you.

I've heard of a couple of things like that, such as unlocking an old Model S 40 to a 60, where people were told by a few service centers that they couldn't do it anymore, until they got hold of someone who was able to say yes and get it done.

Oh nice catch @Rocky_H . If car is currently 40, the adding the second would give it 80. If car is currently 48, then whole unit needs to be swapped. Never looked into a 2nd to 3rd gen swap, Would likely be possible but cost prohibitive. Dual 40's will give higher charge rate with proper wall connector.

Adding the inverter and wiring is the hardware, Tesla would have to upgrade your software. I see alot of challenge. I have twin inverters, never used the second one but once. The charger needs 100 amp breaker , very hard to fine.

How do you "choose" not to use the 2nd one? you never charged higher thAn 40A??
I have the HPWC (Installed myself!!!) last model S charges at 72A

Out of curiosity why do you need a second one? Tesla saw this was impractical and eliminated the option with the advent of the SC network.

Because I Have a HPWC installed from my old Tesla and wanted to use it...
and because my driving habits / needs require much faster charge times when I am at home for short periods.
I prefer NOT to use the SC network as i have 45k on my car, wish to minimize battery wear AND this also helps keep the superchargers free for other who NEED it... I also dont like to be tied to waiting in mall / restraunt areas if I dont have to be...

Because I Have a HPWC installed from my old Tesla and wanted to use it...
and because my driving habits / needs require much faster charge times when I am at home for short periods.
I prefer NOT to use the SC network as i have 45k on my car, wish to minimize battery wear AND this also helps keep the superchargers free for other who NEED it... I also dont like to be tied to waiting in mall / restraunt areas if I dont have to be...

Wow, you must drive quite a bit daily to need more than 11kw charging. Do you work as a ride share driver?

• Funny
I was able to get Tesla to do the 48 amp to 72. My 48 failed. I was like hey can you give me a 72 amp? Initial answer was no. Then yes.
It was configured wrong and initially failed on its first software update as the car saw something that did not belong. After fixed charges at 17kw now.

Going from the twin chargers to a single 72amp I don't see in the cards. Would talk to aftermarket for the twin. Barking up the SC tree I would give little hope for in this case as others have mentioned. Configuration issues.

For many of us there is a time constraint for need of a high amp charger. My friends would describe me as a rideshare driver for my family and friends with no compensation.

I was able to get Tesla to do the 48 amp to 72. My 48 failed. I was like hey can you give me a 72 amp? Initial answer was no. Then yes.
It was configured wrong and initially failed on its first software update as the car saw something that did not belong. After fixed charges at 17kw now.

Going from the twin chargers to a single 72amp I don't see in the cards. Would talk to aftermarket for the twin. Barking up the SC tree I would give little hope for in this case as others have mentioned. Configuration issues.

For many of us there is a time constraint for need of a high amp charger. My friends would describe me as a rideshare driver for my family and friends with no compensation.

It sucks that Tesla itself no longer offers the warrantied upgrade! so now we have to turn to the unsupported aftermarket... Tesla should be providing as many charging options as possible with future growing charging demands I would think.

Yes I do rideshare with LYFT and can get through a night but not much left if I need to go somewhere soon after.

thank you!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

There is limited use for high speed home charging and Tesla was correct in eliminating the option, the demand is low and the cost is high to provide such a solution to a limited market which is why the do not do this anymore. I know people that have removed their second charger as they are actually heavy and dead weight if you don't NEED it which in most cases is the norm. There will always be people with special needs or desire but it does not make a good business case but does make a niche business for others. Some people still insist they need solar panels or range extender generators on their cars.

• Disagree