Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UPGRADING SINGLE to DUAL/ TWIN ONBOARD CHARGERS, possible? how? prog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to retrofit a gen1 on board charger on a 2013 US model S with one or 2 Gen2 chargers. Anyone else attempted this? I managed to replace the gen1 with gen3 and it worked with no issues. But with gen2, after sw redeploy, contactors don't close and dcdc doesn't show up. HVJB was installed properly, but I keep getting an error: Trans con not met. This basically sais that contactors close request was not successful. When I plug back gen1 charger, It closes contactors and car is drivable. Any idea?

Has anyone contacted Jason Hughes, aka wk057, about this? Seems right up his ally.

I have the dual chargers and love the fast turnaround charge capability. I don't believe it is hard on the HV battery, at least not mine, I'm still on the original battery at, let me check, 237,173 miles. Probably 2/3 of that at 80 amp/19.2 kw. I picked up the 100 amp breaker and wiring at Home Depot with no problems. (Home owners are allowed to do their own work in our jurisdiction.)

We have done classic cars to upgrade to 80A twin chargers. I actually have a 72A charger in my garage. It should be possible. Do you have any plans to be in the OC area?
@EV-Fixme How to you change the config after you complete the hardware upgrade? I was actually going to do a 48 to 72 amp charger upgrade in one of my Tesla’s but couldn’t find information anywhere on how to change the config in the vehicle (even checked on the dark web) so I had to give up on the project. Would still like to do it if I could figure out how to change the config.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upgrading a single GEN1 40A to 2x 40A is not an issue. I have done it before, it works. Upgrading from single GEN2 48A to 2x 48A also works without issues. There are issues replacing GEN1 with GEN2 chargers + GEN2 HVJB. I close HVIL properly, I understand well how the system works, but when I replace the GEN1 master charger with GEN2+ HVJB, contactors do not close anymore, log looks like this:
2021-05-24T07:51:52.554392-07:00 cid : cid-updater:16675: gwmon 35635: timeout - BMS contactors did not close, ctr state OPEN (0)
2021-05-24T07:51:52.578859-07:00 cid : cid-updater:16675: gwmon DCDC NOT present, NOT updateable (NO bootId, NO versionMsg, NOT enabled), BMS contactors NOT closed
It is normal that without contactors closing, DCDC does not show up. But what are the conditions not met that contactors don't close? When I plug back gen1 charger, it starts closing them again.
Did anyone here replace GEN1 with GEN2 charger ?
I think I am missing something simple, but not very well documented in Tesla technical docs. Do they perform this kind of retrofit to cars with deffective gen1 chargers ?

@EV-Fixme How to you change the config after you complete the hardware upgrade? I was actually going to do a 48 to 72 amp charger upgrade in one of my Tesla’s but couldn’t find information anywhere on how to change the config in the vehicle (even checked on the dark web) so I had to give up on the project. Would still like to do it if I could figure out how to change the config.
I can help you out, pm me.

Same here. Is used on every vacation to quickly recharge on 22kW chargers, which are quite usual in europe.
I dont get why Tesla chose to limit the max charge on AC.
With 48 amps AC charging you can charge any of the current cars in a single night, not so nice if you just wanna pick up some charge to continue a trip the same day, but that's what DCFC is for. Here in the states we are pretty hard pressed to find many destination chargers setup for more than 30 amps, so not even using the full charge power of the modern cars. Some Tesla Dest. Char. have 100 amps feeding them, but it is mated to three chargers so if you plug in a second charger the first cuts output by half.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
Same here. Is used on every vacation to quickly recharge on 22kW chargers, which are quite usual in europe.
I dont get why Tesla chose to limit the max charge on AC.
The electrical infrastructure is not as robust here in America as it is in Europe. Homes and neighborhoods are single phase 240 VAC instead of 3 phase. Therefore the load carrying capacity of the wiring and transformers are greatly diminished.

A single 100A circuit is the equivalent of the entire load carrying capacity of a house a lot of the time in pre-1970’s neighborhoods. 200A service upgrades are a common thing right now, but then the transformers in the neighborhoods themselves need upgrading at a certain point.

Bottom line, America isn’t quite as ready for EV as Europe is.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
Out of curiosity why do you need a second one? Tesla saw this was impractical and eliminated the option with the advent of the SC network.
My 2017 S100D came with 72 Amp charger. I had our HPWC circuit set up for 100 Amps.

We use 72 Amps several times a year, when we have a trip and charge time is limited. This can eliminate a Supercharger stop.

We installed a second HPWC, so the 100 Amp circuit is useful with 3, soon 4 Teslas in the family. Two cars can charge at the same time. The HPWCs automatically share the juice, with 40 Amps for each. If one car tapers, the other gets more Amps.

By accessing gateway directly. Pm me for more info.
hi - pardon the intrusion: could I ask for some assistance as well? I am getting ready to replace the 48A charger on my ‘17 S90D with 80A dual units. How would one reconfigure the vehicle to recognize 80A charging after doing so? I am told the pair of chargers are already programmed as master and slave.

Thank you for your time!

hi - pardon the intrusion: could I ask for some assistance as well? I am getting ready to replace the 48A charger on my ‘17 S90D with 80A dual units. How would one reconfigure the vehicle to recognize 80A charging after doing so? I am told the pair of chargers are already programmed as master and slave.

Thank you for your time!
Hmm 2017 car should be facelift with a Gen3 charger?

I really don't think it's possible to go backwards to dual earlier gen chargers.. duals were pre-facelift feature. In the very least this would take some software alteration. Probably hvjb wiring is different too.

Might be possible, but certainly I don't know how to do it.

I really don't think it's possible to go backwards to dual earlier gen chargers.. duals were pre-facelift feature. In the very least this would take some software alteration. Probably hvjb wiring is different too.

Facelift, yes. Thank you for the quick response!

Do you happen to have the parts list and steps to upgrade a 2015 P90D(L) from 40 > 40x2?

Do you happen to have the parts list and steps to upgrade a 2015 P90D(L) from 40 > 40x2?
You can find the parts at epc.tesla.com
The hoses are there, you really only need the charger, HV cables for 2nd charger and the hvil plug.

You need a charger that's been pre-programmed as slave, or Toolbox to configure.
I can help update the car configuration for duals, pm me if you decide to upgrade.

You can find the parts at epc.tesla.com
The hoses are there, you really only need the charger, HV cables for 2nd charger and the hvil plug.

You need a charger that's been pre-programmed as slave, or Toolbox to configure.
I can help update the car configuration for duals, pm me if you decide to upgrade.
Thank you so much. I will.

What about a 2015 P90D (ludicrous)?
I would like to upgrade it to dual 40.

Is there a thread that has the parts list?
If not, do you have one?