Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UPGRADING SINGLE to DUAL/ TWIN ONBOARD CHARGERS, possible? how? prog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about a 2015 P90D (ludicrous)?
I would like to upgrade it to dual 40.

Is there a thread that has the parts list?
If not, do you have one?
That can be upgraded. You really only need:
- slave charger (needs to be already configured as slave, or you need toolbox to configure)
- Slave Charger to HVJB orange harnesses (x2)- 1037648-00-B
- HVIL loopback connector, this goes to slave charger

The coolant hoses should be already there, just remove the single straight hose and put charger there.

And car needs to be configured for dual chargers and redeploy after that. I can help there remotely, you need a fakra cable.

it's not that I drive allot daily, but that whenI do, I like to have a full charge ready to go.. (see my earlier post about needs..)I do occasionally ride share w LYFT as it lets me "write off" my car, insurance and expenses..
For those interested, you only get to "write off" that portion which is used to support you actions, at the time. You drive 1000 miles a month and 800 of those miles are for ride share purposes. You get to deduct 80% and not 100% of your expenses related to the vehicle. You don't get to deduct everything. Most people are just opening themselves up to an audit if they try to take a full insurance deduction when their insurance doesn't support commercial use of their vehicle.

That can be upgraded. You really only need:
- slave charger (needs to be already configured as slave, or you need toolbox to configure)
- Slave Charger to HVJB orange harnesses (x2)- 1037648-00-B
- HVIL loopback connector, this goes to slave charger

The coolant hoses should be already there, just remove the single straight hose and put charger there.

And car needs to be configured for dual chargers and redeploy after that. I can help there remotely, you need a fakra cable.
Just got done doing this, since I'm on my own in a very rural area. Here's what I learned.

A few other parts to have on hand:
  • 1x Ground strap (same as master) PN 1008531-00-C. Rounded side goes to body.
  • 4x M6x1.0 flange nuts (to mount the charger)
  • 1x M6x1.0 20 flange bolt (for the ground strap at the charger)
  • 1x zip tie (for the old termination connector)
  • Extra G48 coolant. The chargers are filled with coolant, and you will lose some in the install also.

To expand on samppa's list:
  • The HVIL (High Voltage Interlock Loopback) connector is 1028415-00-A (or later)
  • The TSB calls for different Master HVJB (High Voltage Junction Block) cables, PN 1037646-A (or later). These are also called "Super Saber Cables" by some.

Tools
  • Some sort of clamp/ forceps to pinch the hoses. Need about 1 1/2-2" of mouth. You will need 2 when you remove the hose that takes the place of the second changer.
  • Multimeter to check for voltage
  • Magnetic sockets will make this much easier. There is limited space in which to get nuts and bolts started.
  • Trim pulling tool. Cables and hoses need to come off to gain access and remove items.
  • 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 13mm sockets.

Link to the TSB that gives mostly full instructions. Pull the instruction for rear seat frame removal also.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081836-5448.pdf

Notes:
  • Not terribly hard, just take your time and follow the instructions.
  • Car will continue to charge normally without being reconfigured.
  • Attaching the rear of the seat frame first will allow it to pull itself back into position.
  • Run the ground cable before you install the charger. It gets to tight to route it once installed. The HVJB has 3 or 4 bolts in it. The back ones are hard to see and get to. Make sure they're out, because you will break off the mounting tab otherwise.
  • If buying used, you might get lucky like I did and have the cables and termination thrown in (easier for them).
  • If looking used, try to find an auction where they have 2 for sale. These are the same part number, the only difference is the software. So if the same VIN is also listed, one is likely the slave. This will allow you to do the installation without having to have programming done twice (once on the charge, then on the car) also.
  • Take pictures, and remember that nothing is normally left loose. Most everything (hoses, cables, wiring, etc.) is secured every few inches. Make sure you put it back that way.
  • The hose clamps lock once expanded. Use a flat head screw driver to release once installed. You can readjust the angle/ position afterwards by gently compressing.
  • You will likely break the clips the hold the backseat cushion on, order a couple. I now need to.

Now just to get enough posts so I can message some to update my configuration....

I have an early 2016 P90DL that has only the single 40 charger onboard.

I want to either ADD a secondary charger for the "dual charger" to charge at 80A from HPWC. OR upgrade to the single 72A charger... are either of these possible?

If I go the dual charger route, do I need to buy a matched/ paired set or can I have a seperate programmed to be "master/ slave"??

The service center said they "dont program or change the car from its original configuration" who can do this? how much would this cost? do I buy the charger/s from you?

sory for all the questions after much searching, I cant seem to get a definate answer.
thank you!
057 has that option in there site he’s your best bet

Attachments

• 99D47992-F8B6-429F-BE67-9C670EBB4976.png
    99D47992-F8B6-429F-BE67-9C670EBB4976.png
    434.2 KB · Views: 133
057 has that option in there site he’s your best bet
Purchased a few of the parts I needed from 057, highly recommend. FYI, sourcing the parts and doing it myself wasn't much cheaper. Plus I lost a day putting it in, and whatever the reconfigure is going to cost... didn't know.

@rolling18 They can be separate master/slaves, as long as one is master slave. Also, the master can be turned into a slave and vice versa, but you need the toolbox to do it (same part number). The TSB I linked has instructions on how they do this.

Reactions: EstebanP212
Update: Reconfiguration was not needed. Today when checking my car on the app, was greeted by a max charge setting of 80 amps. Since my home is much lower, and I Did this as part of my CCS upgrade, I wasn't looking specifically for it. So not sure if it was the MCU reset, software reinstall, or something else, but I'll take it.
Dual Charger Sucess.jpg

Ignore my charge limit, was doing calculations earlier.

So in short, can be done entirely at home, as long as you start with a slave charger.

Update: Reconfiguration was not needed. Today when checking my car on the app, was greeted by a max charge setting of 80 amps. Since my home is much lower, and I Did this as part of my CCS upgrade, I wasn't looking specifically for it. So not sure if it was the MCU reset, software reinstall, or something else, but I'll take it. View attachment 869961
Ignore my charge limit, was doing calculations earlier.

So in short, can be done entirely at home, as long as you start with a slave charger.
Care to elaborate about the CCS upgrade ? I have an early S and looking to do the same

Besides pulling up the seats to look, how else can I tell if I have dual chargers? Sometimes I see a 80amp charge option in the software when first connecting before it settles for what the charger is capable of. I have my home wall connector limited to 48amps and it charges at 48amps. I could easily upgrade the breaker and wire to 100amps and #2AWG as I have both laying around and its only about a 10 foot run. I dont "need" to charge at 80amps, but I dont "need" a Tesla either... I just want to be able to!

Besides pulling up the seats to look, how else can I tell if I have dual chargers? Sometimes I see a 80amp charge option in the software when first connecting before it settles for what the charger is capable of. I have my home wall connector limited to 48amps and it charges at 48amps. I could easily upgrade the breaker and wire to 100amps and #2AWG as I have both laying around and its only about a 10 foot run. I dont "need" to charge at 80amps, but I dont "need" a Tesla either... I just want to be able to!
You have the dual chargers if it ever shows 80 amp. The dual charger model S that we have builds up in steps, as the chargers balance the load each time. I ran mine at the full 80 amps for quite a while with a house I had that had sufficient breaker capacity. It is nice to charge at 19.2 kw! The job gets done pretty quick. Don't know if Florida has the very short super off-peak rates that are so good, but you can really take advantage of it with the faster charging if it does.

By the, I burned out part of my charger at about 3 1/2 years. Fortunately, back then, the warranty on them was 4 years so I got a replacement. That caused me to drop the max charge rate down a little, as I didn't want to have to buy a new one. Especially considering they don't make the high amperage chargers anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Besides pulling up the seats to look, how else can I tell if I have dual chargers?
You can use PlugShare website find nearby 16 KW or higher L2 chargers in your area. @henderrj has a good point - limit charge current to 60 or 70 Amps.

If you travel near Philadelphia, ping me and we can test with one of my HPWCs. They share a 100 Amp circuit. A friend with an older S85 confirmed that his car could pull 80 Amps.

Reactions: henderrj