Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading the Battery, will it finally become an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am aware that certain batteries can be software unlocked for greater range. My battery is a 90 kWh so that does not apply to me.

Assuming new battery production from the gigafactory continues to ramp up, I am hopeful current owners will be able to upgrade their batteries.

I have an original P90D and would love to have that option.

Long ago owners like me were told it could be done, yet it never became an option.

I would love to see an increase in energy density allow me to install a battery that has 30% more energy at the same weight.

When I heard about some Tesla execs filing for this new recycling company, I thought maybe it will pave the way for Tesla to open an upgrade battery pack program. The current packs in our cars are obviously still worth a lot of money, particularly if dismantling was automated and the cells were used for another purpose where cycle degradation and density were not as important. So depending on some variables, it could be really "affordable" to upgrade your pack should Tesla facilitate and open up the program.

Of course, the argument against this is Tesla will always prefer you to buy a brand new car and upgrade.

I'll go out on a limb here and voice my opinion that it will never happen. I don't even think it's a matter of it could be done. But look at the numbers they are trying to achieve on the model 3 line, and consider how functional even a slightly smaller battery pack becomes as the supercharger network is everywhere.... it won't make sense at all.... no matter how cool of an idea. I do think it may be possible that an outsider will begin offering the service at a premium, sort of like an unplugged upgrade where they recycle the battery for you and give you some savings on a new pack. Otherwise, I don't see it happening... IMHO

Reactions: KJD
I'll go out on a limb here and voice my opinion that it will never happen. I don't even think it's a matter of it could be done. But look at the numbers they are trying to achieve on the model 3 line, and consider how functional even a slightly smaller battery pack becomes as the supercharger network is everywhere.... it won't make sense at all.... no matter how cool of an idea. I do think it may be possible that an outsider will begin offering the service at a premium, sort of like an unplugged upgrade where they recycle the battery for you and give you some savings on a new pack. Otherwise, I don't see it happening... IMHO

Agree, doubtful Tesla will do battery upgrades.

I guess one place where it makes sense is a Model X owner who decides they want to tow a trailer, but bought the smaller battery. A larger battery is likely to always be desirable for towing.

@wk057 just launched his business venture and one of the items offered on the site are battery pack upgrades. Need to call for cost and most likely refurbished/used packs I suspect.

@wk057 just launched his business venture and one of the items offered on the site are battery pack upgrades. Need to call for cost and most likely refurbished/used packs I suspect.
I'm sure he does a better job of testing those batteries than Tesla does with the new ones, so they are probably better than new. Being "better than Tesla" at testing is a pretty low bar. :(

I asked my friend the same question for my 90D. He's an engineer by training and works for Tesla. He said a battery pack replacement would also require a software update.

I figure Tesla will not offer this option due to money. It makes more sense to sell you a new car. But I believe down the road, as EV's become more popular, aftermarket services will proliferate. So maybe wk057 would offer the software update but then would you possibly have to give up supercharging, LTE etc if Tesla were to ban aftermarket software?

I am upgrading my Signature Model X P90DL to a P100DL in the next week or two.
Ordered the battery from Tesla about a month ago, it is in now so just waiting to get it scheduled.
The cost is prohibitive but I lease the car through an independent leasing company and they are rewriting the lease by adding the cost to the outstanding amount and increasing the term slightly and the residual.
It will give me the range and performance of a new P100DL and will be quite a rare vehicle I think. The cost to replace my X with a new one would be over 3 times the battery cost.

I am upgrading my Signature Model X P90DL to a P100DL in the next week or two.
Ordered the battery from Tesla about a month ago, it is in now so just waiting to get it scheduled.
The cost is prohibitive but I lease the car through an independent leasing company and they are rewriting the lease by adding the cost to the outstanding amount and increasing the term slightly and the residual.
It will give me the range and performance of a new P100DL and will be quite a rare vehicle I think. The cost to replace my X with a new one would be over 3 times the battery cost.

So is this an option anyone can get? How did you get it?

I asked my friend the same question for my 90D. He's an engineer by training and works for Tesla. He said a battery pack replacement would also require a software update.

I figure Tesla will not offer this option due to money. It makes more sense to sell you a new car. But I believe down the road, as EV's become more popular, aftermarket services will proliferate. So maybe wk057 would offer the software update but then would you possibly have to give up supercharging, LTE etc if Tesla were to ban aftermarket software?

I think your are correct in the aftermarket. The first Model S are coming up on the end of their battery warranties. Just like the ICE has after market, so will the electric market.

There is a challenge with the software integration.

We need to follow the money and political power. If consumers demand there be upgrades; then the politicians will make it happen. Tesla will probably not be the upgrader. Just like GM and Ford do not do that in their aftermarket.

The real wild card is if and when there are technology advances. The current battery technology will be surpassed very few years. Will there be a market place for someone to bring replacement technology to old Teslas?

I heard an OA talking about Tesla service center testing each of battery cells (around 70 in each battery) during annual service. Something about swapping out cells that have become less efficient. Maybe I misunderstood. This sounds too good to be true. Maybe he meant programming the cells differently. I thought the battery was sealed. Has anyone experienced this type of annual maintenance service?

Last edited:
Agree, it will all come. From a replacement standpoint, when newer tech comes from a hardware/physical standpoint should be pretty easy to design to fit into the current battery compartment. Will be a question of how easy it will be to integrate into software as well as all the hardware/software components (ie cooling/battery management). Will be interesting to see how Tesla handles this. Given how all the hardware and software is meshed, along with security and safety concerns, will be surprised if they allow anyone to tinker. But I’m sure people will hack and make it happen.

I think Tesla should offer upgrades in the future. While some debate the need given the proliferation of superchargers, others want it for independence, towing or living in areas with sparse charging options or extreme cold weather. Also if future technologies allow for very rapid charging it would be nice to upgrade. While society has determined that a new car must be purchased every few years, the reason I bought a Tesla is that it can improve with time. The idea of supporting sustainable transport and creating a better earth for our children, can be better attained if the consumerist model is disrupted. I think that change has to start from the industry. By allowing battery or performance upgrades it makes it easier for a percentage of people to increase the duration of ownership. And now with full electric drive trains, the engineering simplicity (relative to ICE) makes this an easier option. The issue that makes this tough, is that this idea is viewed as an opposition to creating profit. Again, this duration of ownership is not for all, and my viewpoint is not meant to look down on those choose to replace cars more frequently. My Tesla is going at least 300,000 miles, or as long as I can keep it running without prohibitive costs.

An even better option would be to offer a conversion for your old battery cells to be used as a powerwall at your home for a nominal packaging cost. Even a 75 kWh pack with degradation to 40 kWh (even at the extreme end) would provide more than enough power for your home with solar).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rouget and rw99