Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading the Side Turn Signal Markers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 (series 1 AP) facelift MS with gray leather interior, arachnid wheels, custom dash package tray, replaced console sliding door with factory carbon fiber door, custom mats, black lugs & red rim savers, etc. my next planned modifications is replacing the side markers with the new "AP 2 Camera version" which, in my opinion, have a better shape and overall look than the old flat ones.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, how difficult is it and what problems did you run into?

I have the turn signal side markers in my possession. My question is, has anyone taken off the current side makers before and how much trouble is it for a novice DIY'er. The service parts guy said they will not install them and of course, I wouldn't have access to the camera. But he did say that the light wiring is the same so it should plug right in.

I've already checked with Artsi, the King of modifications and although he hasn't attempted this modification, he did pass on some good insight into how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

• Love
Reactions: lifegoe5on
I have a 2016 (series 1 AP) facelift MS with gray leather interior, arachnid wheels, custom dash package tray, replaced console sliding door with factory carbon fiber door, custom mats, black lugs & red rim savers, etc. my next planned modifications is replacing the side markers with the new "AP 2 Camera version" which, in my opinion, have a better shape and overall look than the old flat ones.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, how difficult is it and what problems did you run into?

I have the turn signal side markers in my possession. My question is, has anyone taken off the current side makers before and how much trouble is it for a novice DIY'er. The service parts guy said they will not install them and of course, I wouldn't have access to the camera. But he did say that the light wiring is the same so it should plug right in.

I've already checked with Artsi, the King of modifications and although he hasn't attempted this modification, he did pass on some good insight into how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious if you had any success upgrading your side turn signal markers with the new ones with cameras. I'm considering doing something similar as well. Thanks.

Yes... The old ones pop out and the new ones popped right in. I purchased them from the SC, fyi... The new ones have a camera connection that you will have to cover to keep moisture out.
6D60F932-616E-4888-802C-AA42A985E5A3.jpeg
42673F7A-747B-488F-8A23-9D2E96F05AFF.jpeg

Reactions: Rockwell
For those that have done this (@P16888 , @Reekdog , @Rockwell , etc.) - does the turn signal bulb connector plug in, and the AP2-with-camera side indicators blink w/ your turn signals, as they should? Folks have said that the AP2 ones "pop right in" but haven't specifically mentioned the turn signal/blinking functionality, which I'd like to preserve.

Many thanks in advance!

Brian

For those that have done this (@P16888 , @Reekdog , @Rockwell , etc.) - does the turn signal bulb connector plug in, and the AP2-with-camera side indicators blink w/ your turn signals, as they should? Folks have said that the AP2 ones "pop right in" but haven't specifically mentioned the turn signal/blinking functionality, which I'd like to preserve.

Many thanks in advance!

Brian
Yes... everything’s works the same just no camera connections so you lose that functionality.
53CDE3EC-7F0A-4049-9DA0-916F4D78750D.jpeg

Reactions: bwherry