Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading to hardware 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
I’m in the UK and am hoping to buy a Model X in the next month or so, I was just wondering if someone could help me with a question.

I’ve been looking at getting a Model X, around 2018/2019, I’d like the version with the new hardware (3.0?) that includes the Tesla theatre etc but they seem just a tad out of my price range at the moment. I was just wondering if this is a feasible option.... could I buy say a 2017 Model X with hardware 2.0 and then in about 6-8 months when I have some more cash, buy the full self drive add-on, this would then get me the new hardware as a free upgrade and will include the Tesla theatre.... is that possible?

It’s odd, when I look at used Model X’s I never see them listed I never see ones with the FSD option, only EAP, wondering if no one ever really goes for it or if it’s just rarely documented....

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason.

That should work. Just keep in mind that the HW3 upgrade will likely take a while. As far as I can tell they are assigning the upgrades by VIN number based on when you purchased FSD. I'm in the US and purchased my car and FSD in April 2018 and just got my HW3 upgrade (today actually!)

You are getting confused between AP HW3 and MCU2

For the AP HW3 upgrade the car would have to come with the FSD package - and the upgrade would then be free as FSD had been paid for. If the car does not come with FSD you would have to pay for it to get the upgrade. Will Tesla withdraw this offer in the future? Who knows, they make constant changes to offers and upgrades.

Tesla theater and other entertainment options require MCU2 which was introduced during 2018. If the car has MCU1 you will need to pay $2500 to upgrade to MCU2. Again - MCU is not connected to FSD or AP3 and you won’t get the MCU upgrade for free regardless of packages the car comes with.

ek993 beat me to it.

Get a car with MCU2 and AP2.5 (late 2018 or later?) for the features you want. MCU2 has all the games and theater. AP2.5 has Sentry Mode and dashcam (AP2.0 does not). The car info screen should describe its hardware versions. I'd be worried that Tesla might stop upgrading MCU1's to MCU2's. I think you're much safer waiting to upgrade to HW3 with the FSD upgrade if you want to later, though the price may increase. There should be some warning if Tesla decides to stop offering it.

You are getting confused between AP HW3 and MCU2

For the AP HW3 upgrade the car would have to come with the FSD package - and the upgrade would then be free as FSD had been paid for. If the car does not come with FSD you would have to pay for it to get the upgrade. Will Tesla withdraw this offer in the future? Who knows, they make constant changes to offers and upgrades.

Tesla theater and other entertainment options require MCU2 which was introduced during 2018. If the car has MCU1 you will need to pay $2500 to upgrade to MCU2. Again - MCU is not connected to FSD or AP3 and you won’t get the MCU upgrade for free regardless of packages the car comes with.

Ah, it sounds like I am, so as ramting says above, March 2018 on have AP2.5 and MCU2? Is there an easy way to find out on the car what it has? So I can ask a showroom to check over the phone? So I what is upgraded when switching to AP3 from 2.5? The only upgrade I knew about was the processor board (which I now understand is the MCU.)

And a quick summary, so if I go for a post March 2018 Model X, ensure it has AP 2.5 and MCU 2, I can wait until I have the extra cash, purchase FSD and then I will be eligible to a free upgrade to AP 3 (and future upgrades) and I'll have all the features like Tesla theatre etc

Hi Jay2jay99,

An easy way find out the car details is on the "Software" panel.
New information has been continuously added over the last few software releases.
The "Additional vehicle Information" line will show the autopilot hardware, suspension, motor types, and other good stuff.

Software Info.jpg

Shawn

Hi Jay2jay99,

An easy way find out the car details is on the "Software" panel.
New information has been continuously added over the last few software releases.
The "Additional vehicle Information" line will show the autopilot hardware, suspension, motor types, and other good stuff.

View attachment 541199

Shawn

Perfect, thank you Shawn, at least that gives me something to ask them to look at and send me a photo, I'll have a look at the manual so I can navigate them to the screen over the phone if they don't know how to get there.

Hi Jay2jay99,

A picture and a thousand words.

Additional Info.jpg

It does not say it in terms we are used to. MCU2 is listed as "Intel Atom."
HW 3.0 is listed as "Full self-driving computer."

All of these additional info screens started appearing around and after firmware 2020.4
They keep adding pertinent information...

Shawn

Hi Jay2jay99,

A picture and a thousand words.

View attachment 541514

It does not say it in terms we are used to. MCU2 is listed as "Intel Atom."
HW 3.0 is listed as "Full self-driving computer."

All of these additional info screens started appearing around and after firmware 2020.4
They keep adding pertinent information...

Shawn

Thanks Shawn, I've just found a car I'm interested in and I think it ticks all the boxes I want, it lists Intel Atom and AutoPilot 2.5, he said it had Netflix etc but the owner reset the car to defaults and now he can't see it, so assumes that it only appears when the profile is set up etc, does that sound right to you?

If you don't mind, can you have a look at these photos and tell me what you think? I forgot to ask if it has Sentry but I'm assuming if it has MCU2 then it does. He also said he thinks it has enhanced autopilot but I can't see any mention of it.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Hi Jay2jay99,

I have looked at your pictures.
At first I was puzzled until I figured out I was looking at a
right hand drive car - So all of the icons in the displays are backwards
compared to what I look at...

The panel that shows the "picture" of the car should show the autopilot status and shows nothing.
The same panel should show "premium connectivity" and shows nothing.
To see the the car includes the entertainment and Netflix - You must press the square button
with the upward arrow. That icon is located between what I call the "music note" and the icon for
your driver's seat. Pressing that button gets to a secondary menu that includes the "entertainment"
items.

Remember I am not familiar with right hand drive cars and EU configurations.
To me it looks like it does not have any type of autopilot nor premium connectivity.
This could be due to my lack of familiarity with EU cars or it could be that they are set up
slightly different than US car on the panels...

But it certainly does have MCU2 and AP2.5 . They will support FSD and the upgrade
to AP3.0 hardware if or when FSD is purchased. That brings up an interesting question that I have not heard:
Are you eligible for the AP3 hardware upgrade if you have NOT paid for FSD??? I don't think so...
i do not know that answer...

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Jay2jay99,

I have looked at your pictures.
At first I was puzzled until I figured out I was looking at a
right hand drive car - So all of the icons in the displays are backwards
compared to what I look at.........
..............But it certainly does have MCU2 and AP2.5 . They will support FSD and the upgrade
to AP3.0 hardware if or when FSD is purchased. That brings up an interesting question that I have not heard:
Are you eligible for the AP3 hardware upgrade if you have NOT paid for FSD??? I don't think so...
i do not know that answer...

Good luck,

Shawn

Ok so I had a chat with him and I think because it's reset and doesn't have 'profile/owner' that's why it doesn't have premium connectivity listed, he also confirmed it has enhanced autopilot as well. So I think I'll be going for this, I'll be putting a deposit down and collecting it in a couple of weeks, I also managed to get it for £9000 ($11000) under budget. :) :)

089bd87704774d0f974e2772c05c0f25.jpg

Thank you all for the help!

Hi Jay2jay99,

I think you are good...
It depends whether you wanted the FSD or not.
With enhanced autopilot I think you do not qualify for the free upgrade to Hardware 3.0
It has to be FSD for the "free" upgrade...

Good luck and happy driving - You will love it,

Shawn

I’d like FSD but in months of looking I’ve never seen one car for sale with it in the uk, it has less features over here so maybe that’s why many haven’t gone for it. So I made peace that I’d probably have to purchase it after. Yeah, I’ll need to get it to get the free hardware upgrades.

Thank you, I can’t wait!

Hi All --

I bought the FSD upgrade for $3,500, was installed last week. How can i confirm whether retrofit included MCU upgrade (or does it not?). Work Invoice says "FSD hardware install, FSD retrofit confirmed complete, Model X Autopilot 2.5"

Was thinking the FSD included the MCU retro..? (2017 Model X 100D)