Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading to the new door trim and headlights in the future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I have a Model Y on order scheduled for delivery in early August but I was really hoping to get the new door trims (with the wood trim) and the new projector headlights. I can't hold my order since my current car lease will be up in a couple of weeks so I can't wait for the updates to come in.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my door trim and/or headlights later on?

Anything is possible with enough money and effort. I was in a similar situation for wanting those items (as well as the upgraded filters) but I must say they are all but forgotten now that I own the car. Honestly - the headlights are fantastic - I doubt you will care once you get the car in your hands.

The trim? I'm guessing the cost/benefit will seem a lot less once you have the car......

Reactions: bluenycom
Anything is possible with enough money and effort. I was in a similar situation for wanting those items (as well as the upgraded filters) but I must say they are all but forgotten now that I own the car. Honestly - the headlights are fantastic - I doubt you will care once you get the car in your hands.

The trim? I'm guessing the cost/benefit will seem a lot less once you have the car......
Agreed.

I have no reference point for Tesla replacement parts costs, but I would plan to spend something into the 1000's for a pair of OEM headlights - anecdotally based on my historical investigation of buying OEM HID projector headlights for my Subaru. Ended up retrofitting my own into the halogen housings.

The other question is whether or not the harness is the same (hope so) and further whether the firmware to control is pushed by VIN, or if it can be updated based on hardware.

Reactions: GOVA
I’m waiting too, don’t let strangers on the Internet tell you what is important to you isn’t important.

Some of those strangers will be first in line if a reasonable retrofit pathway ever becomes available.

To date, I have not seen any articles or videos of retrofitting reflectors HL to projector HL. I have not seen the official price difference between the HL. One of my HL was changed under warranty, but price was not shown on the statement. Of course, with enough $$$, any modification is possible if it's important to you.

I was concerned about the headlights before I took delivery a few years ago. I was surprised how good they were. So not an issue for me anymore. I might need to adjust them a bit but the output is pretty good.

I’m waiting too, don’t let strangers on the Internet tell you what is important to you isn’t important.

Some of those strangers will be first in line if a reasonable retrofit pathway ever becomes available.
If the current headlights were poor, yes. However they are fantastic so it is doubtful people will do this. And since it is likely software related, Tesla would have to make it a buyable option like enabling heated seats in SR cars. Not going to happen since it involves buying hardware. In almost 10 years has Tesla allowed anything like this? The only thing remotely close is HW3 needed for fsd but you had to drop $10k for fsd to get the hardware upgrade. Teslas service centers don’t want to be bogged down with tuner upgrades so again, this won’t happen. Just like the likelihood of non MYP getting the lights is very close to, if not, 0. There is only 1 way to get them, buy an MYP. The price difference is getting closer to LR.

If the current headlights were poor, yes. However they are fantastic so it is doubtful people will do this. And since it is likely software related, Tesla would have to make it a buyable option like enabling heated seats in SR cars. Not going to happen since it involves buying hardware. In almost 10 years has Tesla allowed anything like this? The only thing remotely close is HW3 needed for fsd but you had to drop $10k for fsd to get the hardware upgrade. Teslas service centers don’t want to be bogged down with tuner upgrades so again, this won’t happen. Just like the likelihood of non MYP getting the lights is very close to, if not, 0. There is only 1 way to get them, buy an MYP. The price difference is getting closer to LR.

Tuner upgrades? Do you consider headlights a "tuner upgrade"? LOL. What has this world come to?

As for retrofits, they have offered retrofits for Biohazard filtration before and are rumored to soon offer it to earlier TMY's. You mentioned hardware, I believe the headlights are the physical hardware, I would be very surprised if Tesla is running two entirely different wiring harnesses for cars with and without these headlights. As software integrated as Tesla is, the swap may very well be easy. It is simply too early for any of us to make any such assumptions one way or another.

Elon said, via Twitter, late last year when the headlights were released for the TM3 that all TM3/TMY would go to the same headlight in Q1. In typical "Elon time" Q1 and now Q2 have passed. That doesn't mean we will never see the new headlights on the SR/LR TMY. Instead of having four part numbers, they will only have two part numbers once they make the switch. This is very much in line with Tesla's vision of simplicity when it comes to manufacturing. To boldly state that we will NEVER see these headlights on non Performance Y's would be about as smart as shorting TSLA.

As for the price difference, I'm still locked in at $49,999.

I'm curious why you say the likelihood of a non MYP would get them is very close to 0?

Given that Giga Shanghai produces the M3 for much if Europe, and Fremont does not, why would they dump the Global Headlight into all versions of the M3, but not the MY? The premise seems very similar. Perhaps when Giga Berlin is up and running, the additional volume for the non MYP in other countries will drive the push for a single platform headlight with less variation.

At the same time, it's possible the M3 demand is low enough in the US to justify the global platform for all models, where the MY demand in the US may drive the justification for an additional variation.

I should note, it's not just variation in the headlight, but presumably also the wiring and certainly the software. Given that the current headlights are adjustable from the UI, though, they may just repurpose the same wiring harness.

I'm curious why you say the likelihood of a non MYP would get them is very close to 0?

Given that Giga Shanghai produces the M3 for much if Europe, and Fremont does not, why would they dump the Global Headlight into all versions of the M3, but not the MY? The premise seems very similar. Perhaps when Giga Berlin is up and running, the additional volume for the non MYP in other countries will drive the push for a single platform headlight with less variation.

At the same time, it's possible the M3 demand is low enough in the US to justify the global platform for all models, where the MY demand in the US may drive the justification for an additional variation.

I should note, it's not just variation in the headlight, but presumably also the wiring and certainly the software. Given that the current headlights are adjustable from the UI, though, they may just repurpose the same wiring harness.

Because he or she doesn't realize that Tesla has already addressed this question.

We are transitioning Model 3 and Model Y to a new headlight design, which is eventually going to be consistent across all variants, globally. By Q1 2021, we expect all Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to feature this new unit.

Again, it's just Elon Time, should have made the transition by end of Q1, but here we are in Q3. One might speculate that the chip shortage has delayed the transition as the new headlamps likely have more capabilities (and require more chips) than the previous headlamps. Thats is 100% speculation though.

Reactions: Platini
If you can trust things Elon says 100% of the time then sure, the number will bump up to more than 0. But they will never make an SR Y. The Semi will be ready in 2020, 2021… The Cybertruck will be ready in… Would you like to bit a LR RWD Model Y? Sign up here for delivery in 6 months, well never…

In this case, he said something based on a worldwide outlook that would cost Tesla an extra $1000 or more per vehicle in the US when there would be no benefit in the US. When someone actually does the cost analysis, it makes ZERO sense to change the lights for cars that never leave the US.

And I’m pretty sure there are Model 3s from Fremont getting exported. Maybe less than before but there were definitely pictures recently of RHD and other cars with the euro plate frame mounted on them waiting in the Fremont lot, hence exports.

If you can trust things Elon says 100% of the time then sure, the number will bump up to more than 0. But they will never make an SR Y. The Semi will be ready in 2020, 2021… The Cybertruck will be ready in… Would you like to bit a LR RWD Model Y? Sign up here for delivery in 6 months, well never…

In this case, he said something based on a worldwide outlook that would cost Tesla an extra $1000 or more per vehicle in the US when there would be no benefit in the US. When someone actually does the cost analysis, it makes ZERO sense to change the lights for cars that never leave the US.

And I’m pretty sure there are Model 3s from Fremont getting exported. Maybe less than before but there were definitely pictures recently of RHD and other cars with the euro plate frame mounted on them waiting in the Fremont lot, hence exports.

If your argument held any water we would have seen US Model 3's switch BACK to the older headlamps. Keep reaching.