Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uphill Trip - And How!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to go to Gunnedah from Brisbane via the coast route to Port Macquarie and then inland over the mountains to Walcha -> Gunnedah.

Coast route looks straight forward, charging at Ballina Day Surgery and Coffs Harbour Showgrounds then the SC at Port Macquarie. The rest? Well...

OK, I've read the manual, used the software (EVTripPlanner, etc.) and bought the brochure :)

Now, if there is any kind soul out there in Tesla land who has actually driven this route ~180km (+1029 metres! vertically!) from Port Macquarie to Walcha, and can tell me the "real situation" with respect to energy consumption and how it compares to the software estimates, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Driving an S 70 with top range of 365km in the real world, btw.

I'm planning to go to Gunnedah from Brisbane via the coast route to Port Macquarie and then inland over the mountains to Walcha -> Gunnedah.

Coast route looks straight forward, charging at Ballina Day Surgery and Coffs Harbour Showgrounds then the SC at Port Macquarie. The rest? Well...

OK, I've read the manual, used the software (EVTripPlanner, etc.) and bought the brochure :)

Now, if there is any kind soul out there in Tesla land who has actually driven this route ~180km (+1029 metres! vertically!) from Port Macquarie to Walcha, and can tell me the "real situation" with respect to energy consumption and how it compares to the software estimates, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

EV trip planner suggests it should be 43kWH on the way there (Port to Armidale) and 29 kWH on way back. Should be comfortable to do in an S70 assuming you will get a charge whilst you are in Armidale?

Keep an eye on energy usage and if it is above the predicted rate ease off the speed for a bit?

I've not driven that route but do BNE -> TWB -> BNE regularly and that's similar even if 50 km shorter.
I've also done Brisbane -> Chinchilla return three times. That's 300 km each way and (because of the range) uses approx 330 km of range going up; obviously less coming down.

I go out to Dalby quite frequently, so I know the climb up the Toowoomba range, but I checked the elevation and it's around 691m and up to Walcha from Port Macquarie is 1067, so a fair bit more energy drain there. In theory, using a 1.15 speed factor and relevant loading data, EVTripPlanner tells me I can drive all the way to Gunnedah from the PM Supercharger and use 61.2 kWh (328 RKM). That's a bit too fine with a 70 kWh battery I suspect? Does EVTripPlanner work only on "available" charge, and not the unavailable 70 kWh?