Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upholstery volatiles fogging up inside of new car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
There ought to be a setting for new garage-kept cars to auto-open the windows or perhaps occasionally auto power-vent externally so the upholstery volatiles or whatever it is that fog up the insides of the windows don't make such a mess for the first year or so. Not talking about water vapor here, this is something that comes from the interior itself, especially if left outside on sunny days.

Also... THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!! I'm extremely grateful and happy with my new Tesla X Plaid! It's just a bit hard for wheelchair guys to reach inside the windshield to wipe it off adequately.

There ought to be a setting for new garage-kept cars to auto-open the windows or perhaps occasionally auto power-vent externally so the upholstery volatiles or whatever it is that fog up the insides of the windows don't make such a mess for the first year or so. Not talking about water vapor here, this is something that comes from the interior itself, especially if left outside on sunny days.

Also... THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT!! I'm extremely grateful and happy with my new Tesla X Plaid! It's just a bit hard for wheelchair guys to reach inside the windshield to wipe it off adequately.
Mine has same problem. I agree with you 100%

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
One thing I know is you can vent your car with a button in app.
My "Legacy" MX has been in garage overnight for nearly 2 years now but I haven't seen any condensation/fog on windows and I don't vent it.
Have you tried windshield defrost when it fogged instead of wiping it?

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
One thing I know is you can vent your car with a button in app.
My "Legacy" MX has been in garage overnight for nearly 2 years now but I haven't seen any condensation/fog on windows and I don't vent it.
Have you tried windshield defrost when it fogged instead of wiping it?
Thanks for the insight. My Plaid gets it worse than my 2018 legacy Model X did. Chemical window fog is not Tesla specific; my Old Buick used to get this too when it was new. No, the defroster isn't going to remove the chemical deposit, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this.

Last edited: