Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upload of FSD Beta snapshots through hotspot exceeds data cap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the Tesla data plan so I have been using my hotspot to listen to streaming music, but now with the tesla FSD beta I've noticed it uploads many Gb of data apparently while driving, and that causes my data cap on tethering to exceed the limit very quickly. I guess I'll have to stop listening to streaming music unless somebody knows a way to have the car hold off on uploading the FSD beta data until a certain period?

I don't have the Tesla data plan so I have been using my hotspot to listen to streaming music, but now with the tesla FSD beta I've noticed it uploads many Gb of data apparently while driving, and that causes my data cap on tethering to exceed the limit very quickly. I guess I'll have to stop listening to streaming music unless somebody knows a way to have the car hold off on uploading the FSD beta data until a certain period?
No - it will upload snapshots when it's connected to WiFi. You could switch to using the streaming apps on your phone instead of through the interface. Then you wouldn't need your hotspot to be on.

no I think you got that wrong. It doesn't upload large amounts of data while driving. Are you sure this didn't happen when you got back to your destination and forgot to disconnect your hotspot from the car?

Reactions: FlyF4
I hadn't thought about FSD uploading when tethered to Wifi hotspot (phone) while driving. I have to do so to get the HiFi version of songs on Tidal (which sound waaaaaaay better in Hifi.) Luckily I have ATT unlimited, so maybe not an issue for me.

It doesn't upload large amounts of data while driving
Normally that's true as the car doesn't try to connect to WiFi while driving. Video snapshots such as those triggered from FSD Beta seem to only upload when connected to WiFi, so tethering/hotspot while driving will allow it to upload. I've been doing that sometimes to make sure I don't exceed the local harddrive storage capacity, and I'm literally right now uploading via hotspot (although I'm parked and away from home).

Normally that's true as the car doesn't try to connect to WiFi while driving. Video snapshots such as those triggered from FSD Beta seem to only upload when connected to WiFi, so tethering/hotspot while driving will allow it to upload. I've been doing that sometimes to make sure I don't exceed the local harddrive storage capacity, and I'm literally right now uploading via hotspot (although I'm parked and away from home).
precisely. I guess I should have said it won't do those uploads by cellular. :cool:
Yet, I haven't had any big uploads using a hotspot while driving, but see them after I park the car. Not sure what that is about.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
Hey all,

I just took a screenshot of FSD Beta’s usage.
This was only 20 min of being connected to WiFi and it had already uploaded 4.15GB worth of data. So yes, having your Mobile HotSpot connected is a really bad idea - especially if you don’t have unlimited.
The upload rate speed can spike up to 50 Mbps; average: ~20-30 Mbps.

Note about the test environment:
a)The internet speed plan is 1000 Mbps Download and 1000 Mbps Upload with Unlimited Data.
b) WiFi device is a UniFi UAP-AC-HD - This device is easily capable of transferring 600-800 Mbps to a single client.
C) WiFi channel and width has been properly optimized for maximum throughput.

Hope this helps.

FSD Beta (Internet) Data Usage