TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

uploading attached images

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by doug, Aug 31, 2012.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I've had to change the way attached images are uploaded. We did a kludge before that made some things work ok while it broke other things.

If you upload an image from your computer or from a URL and have "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" selected, you will see a small thumbnail of the image (assuming your editor is in WYSIWYG mode).

While still in the editor, double click on the image and you will get some options. If you would like to see that image displayed larger, change size from thumbnail to medium, large, or full size.

Currently thumbnail = 150px, medium = 300px, and large = 640px

Most likely you will want "large" which is set to the size we've used in recent years. After saving your post, clicking on the image will still bring you to a full sized version.

So this adds an extra step to what you're probably used to, but this is actually the way it's supposed to work. It can be a little clunky, but will hopefully work most of the time.

2. doug

The kludge that we had before was that the thumbnail size to 640px and while that worked for threads, it screws up a bunch of other things that I'm trying to get working now.

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

How do you remove an uploaded image? I uploaded a pic, realized it was too large, but couldn't see how to remove it or edit it out of the post.

4. doug

It's an attached image? Can you point me to it?

You have to "go advanced" and scroll down to "manage attachments".

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Got it, thanks.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

slide_246745_1427356_free.gif

7. doug

Not sure that anyone ever really noticed this thread, but some days ago I made another change to how images are uploaded. So instead of having to go through the extra steps I listed above, your attached images are just posted inline as before with no problem. The difference is that instead of a thumbnail, your image is just uploaded full size.

The browsers I've tested (latest versions of Chrome and Firefox on Win XP and Windows 7) resize the images dynamically with the size of the browser window. I haven't heard anyone complain about pics being too big yet. But you never know. The upside is that user albums (which no one seems to use yet) and group albums now display thumbnails and images properly. The album interface isn't great, but at least it's no longer broken.

8. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I noticed the change! Huge improvement. Thanks!

9. Martijn S

Martijn S Member

10. Martijn S

Martijn S Member

#10 Martijn S, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    8263355397_decbdc8ac3_c.jpg

11. doug

You can embed this non-local image by just putting image tags around the url.

[noparse] 8263355397_decbdc8ac3_c.jpg [/noparse]

8263355397_decbdc8ac3_c.jpg

12. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I can't upload photos to the site anymore... I get a red exclamation mark with the next io error #2038, when I hover over it with the mouse.

Is anyone else getting this error?

13. doug

I can't reproduce the error. Can you provide more detail? Hover over what? What browser are you using?

Lionel-Hutz.jpg

14. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

No problem.

Firefox. I click upload, select file from my computer and then it uploads the file. Before or as it finishes there is a red exclamation mark beside the file name. I hover over that and that is where I see the error details... I tried uploading several different files.... What is the size limit on an upload btw?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing it was an issue with file size... It seems to work fine now.

15. doug

Yes, there is a file size limit which IRRC is around 4MB.

16. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Well whatever the problem was it has been fixed. The 1.2MB file wouldn't work yesterday, but today when I resized it the 600kb file worked fine.

17. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#17 wycolo, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    I usually CROP and always reduce file size to around 200 to 300 kb. The quality looks 'the same' and I *never* get the dreaded upside down photo regardless of camera angle when taking that shot. Also never QUOTE a previously posted image unless it is from many pages back. Reduces clutter. FWIW.
    --

18. doug

Thanks for that. (kB I assume you mean) Btw, the upside down photo thing tends to be from pics taken with an iPhone. There's some orientation metadata in the file that many websites/browsers don't recognize.

19. Tyl

Tyl Member

#19 Tyl, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    Sideways photos are a phone to thread issue. I'm taking the pictures as standard iPhone pictures. If they are showing up sideways it's because as I post them iPhone to TMC servers have different orientations I.D.'s. I know it's frustrating to view... I guess you'll just have to turn your monitor sideways. If there is a way to correct sideways representations .... Let me know.. I've tried rotating my iPhone to no avail.....

20. doug

It's actually a browser/iPhone issue. If you viewed this thread on an iPad or on Safari with a mac, they would look ok. It has to do with whether or not your browser pays attention to the orientation info in the exif data.