Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you like these settings?

• Yes, I have induction and I like these coilover settings

• No, I have induction and these settings are not for me

• Yes, I have a different wheel type and I still like the settings

• No, I have a different wheel type and I don’t like these settings.

• I did not adjust my settings but would like to get the poll results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the UPP luxury coil overs installed and I was curious as to what other owner settings were for this suspension. After 1 month of testing hundreds of tire PSI dampener setting combinations, I think I now have the most balanced combination possible for the model Y. For this set up I was looking for the best compromise for compliant, soft and sporty ride. The front driver dampener is a bit higher because I weigh over 250lb. I’ve noticed that any deviation from these settings makes the car ride completely different. These settings most likely will not feel the same for peeps with other wheel variants. I would love to know what other owners are running and what my induction wheel folks think about my settings if you’re open to trying it.

My wheels are induction 20” (important)
(Clicks away from softest settings)
Front driver 4 clicks (over 250lb)
Front passenger 3 clicks
Rear left and right - 5 clicks
Tire pressure 39PSI (nitrogen)
Tires are michelin primacy MXM4

The nitrogen makes a small difference as it compresses and expanse differently in the way the tire bounces and also fluctuates less to keep the ride consistant no matter when or where you’re driving. If you don’t drop your tire pressure the ride may feel strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogdaddyden2X
I have the UPP luxury coil overs installed and I was curious as to what other owner settings were for this suspension. After 1 month of testing hundreds of tire PSI dampener setting combinations, I think I now have the most balanced combination possible for the model Y. For this set up I was looking for the best compromise for compliant, soft and sporty ride. The front driver dampener is a bit higher because I weigh over 250lb. I’ve noticed that any deviation from these settings makes the car ride completely different. These settings most likely will not feel the same for peeps with other wheel variants. I would love to know what other owners are running and what my induction wheel folks think about my settings if you’re open to trying it.

Front passenger 3 clicks

The nitrogen makes a small difference as it compresses and expanse differently in the way the tire bounces and also fluctuates less to keep the ride consistant no matter when or where you’re driving. If you don’t drop your tire pressure the ride may feel strange.
Hi, just another pointer. From softest up to 6 clicks up, there is a fluid bypass in the system on UP coilover, which tends to soften medium to high-speed damping. So from 7~10 click up, you should see a significant change in rebound control and a slightly sharper compression feel. Where it was floaty under the 6 value, the suspension under high-energy events like impact over ruts and bumps, or forceful transitions over bumpy surfaces, 10 and up should really make things feel a little more tactile and controlled. But again, these are all subjective. So if you find a setting you like, that is the best until you find otherwise as tastes and senses change. Thanks for using our products!

PS. Nitrogen is awesome, isn't it?

Reactions: dogdaddyden2X

Front passenger 3 clicks

Mike, I just had the UPP luxury coilovers installed on my 2020 MYLR. With our sloppy snow and ice covered roads in Wisconsin, I can't get or give a reliable report on the new ride feel. I was looking for a softer ride, especially over bumps, road cracks, etc. which are very noticeable with factory suspension. The initial settings I am using is 8 all around. The fronts behave very well, but the rear seems overly harsh on large bumps, making somewhat of a bang sound??? Overall, too, the car feels bouncy on concrete roads, much better on asphalt. Love the car, but hoping to get the new suspension tuned to where I love it too. Any advice?

Reactions: UnpluggedP
Mike, I just had the UPP luxury coilovers installed on my 2020 MYLR. With our sloppy snow and ice covered roads in Wisconsin, I can't get or give a reliable report on the new ride feel. I was looking for a softer ride, especially over bumps, road cracks, etc. which are very noticeable with factory suspension. The initial settings I am using is 8 all around. The fronts behave very well, but the rear seems overly harsh on large bumps, making somewhat of a bang sound??? Overall, too, the car feels bouncy on concrete roads, much better on asphalt. Love the car, but hoping to get the new suspension tuned to where I love it too. Any advice?
Hey there,

Dampening setting set to 8 clicks should work out great on all four corners. It's possible the rear travel was set improperly, and the strut may not have enough piston travel under compression, hence maybe causing the "bang" symptom you're experiencing on harsh bumps. We advise that you adjust the stroke of the rear strut. The standard measurement is 180mm, or 7 inches, of the exposed threads on the strut body between the locking collar on the bottom and the very top of the black assembly. (See attached example photo). This measurement ensures proper travel of the rear strut. Hope this helps!

If you need any support, send us an email to [email protected] and we'd be happy to assist.

- Spencer

Attachments

• rear_strut_assembly.jpg
    rear_strut_assembly.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 163
Review: I’m offering this review of the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilovers for MY/LR to add another data point for prospective buyers. I know I appreciated inputs from others when I was considering this pricey upgrade.

Car: 2021 MY/LR with 20” Induction wheels (6/1/21 delivery), chosen because MYP suspension too rough. Sadly the LR suspension was still a teeth chattering experience.

Unplugged Performance (UP): Installed at the UP main facility in Hawthorne, CA near my home. Also lowered my car ~1.5” (gnd clearance 4.75”), which required adjustable rear camber arm to maintain alignment. UP was absolutely great to deal with. I requested some small adjustments after initial installation, and they accommodated me with a full system check, along with the fine tuning and height adjustment at no additional cost. Great guys to work with.

Assessment: The car rides far better than OEM LR, basically shaving off that jarring edge. At a damper setting of #6 (lowest UP recommends) the car still rides quite firmly and handles well. Firmer than my Ford Edge, but comparable to my Audi S5. And the car looks fantastic at the lower ride height (will try to include a photo). Total cost was ~$4900 including adjustable camber arm...a lot but the major improvements in ride and looks are worth it to me.

Tesla front quarter 1.jpg

Review: I’m offering this review of the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilovers for MY/LR to add another data point for prospective buyers. I know I appreciated inputs from others when I was considering this pricey upgrade.

Car: 2021 MY/LR with 20” Induction wheels (6/1/21 delivery), chosen because MYP suspension too rough. Sadly the LR suspension was still a teeth chattering experience.

Unplugged Performance (UP): Installed at the UP main facility in Hawthorne, CA near my home. Also lowered my car ~1.5” (gnd clearance 4.75”), which required adjustable rear camber arm to maintain alignment. UP was absolutely great to deal with. I requested some small adjustments after initial installation, and they accommodated me with a full system check, along with the fine tuning and height adjustment at no additional cost. Great guys to work with.

Assessment: The car rides far better than OEM LR, basically shaving off that jarring edge. At a damper setting of #6 (lowest UP recommends) the car still rides quite firmly and handles well. Firmer than my Ford Edge, but comparable to my Audi S5. And the car looks fantastic at the lower ride height (will try to include a photo). Total cost was ~$4900 including adjustable camber arm...a lot but the major improvements in ride and looks are worth it to me.

View attachment 902667

Looks awesome! Thanks for stopping by!

- Spencer

I have the Unplugged Performance installed and when I go over a pot hole or minor depression in the road I hear and feel a very loud noise< I have re-tightened all bolts. The setting is 6 and the car still really bangs when I go over a small depression in the road even at low speed (20mph)
Do you think adjusting the struts as suggested will solve this? I am very frustrated and un-happy with the current situation