Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper brake light bar partially inoperable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was exiting my car, someone informed to me that my upper 3rd
brake light bar seems to be malfunctioning. Sure enough after I checked, the right 1/3 of the leds didn't light up as brakes were applied. I don't know when this started, but Im guessing it's relatively recent as no one mentioned it previously. Have others observed this for their refresh model S?

I just so happen to update to 2022.44.2 few days ago so maybe that might have to do with it. Either way scheduled a service to have this checked into and warrantied.

Attachments

• 20221209_181320.jpg
    20221209_181320.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Break the rear glass? Can it not be accesssed through a panel of some sorts on the back side? I'll have to look at what the procedure entails. And yea I do have tint. I hope they don't blame this on the tint and say that I "modified" it so it cant be claimed.

Break the rear glass? Can it not be accesssed through a panel of some sorts on the back side? I'll have to look at what the procedure entails. And yea I do have tint. I hope they don't blame this on the tint and say that I "modified" it so it cant be claimed.
No. It’s under the glass as far as I’m aware. I highly doubt they blame the brake light failure on the tint, but I’ve heard the rear glass is very hard to remove without cracking it.

brake light bar seems to be malfunctioning. Sure enough after I checked, the right 1/3 of the leds didn't light up as brakes were applied. I don't know when this started, but Im guessing it's relatively recent as no one mentioned it previously. Have others observed this for their refresh model S?

I just so happen to update to 2022.44.2 few days ago so maybe that might have to do with it. Either way scheduled a service to have this checked into and warrantied.
I'd assume this should be covered under warranty on refresh vehicle as long as you're not past your mileage.

Just looked it up in the service manual and you're right. It calls for removing the back glass to install the brake light. It looks like it could be done without removing the glass, but I'm sure they have to follow the service protocols. I have this set up for mobile service, but this seems more invasive and may require a service center visit instead.

I have seen this on numerous new Model S vehicles and have had the chance to inform several of the owners.

Reactions: Jayy178
Of course when I get to the SC they tell me that they don't have the part and need to reschedule. No eta on the part. What jokers...
Been there/done that. Nothing like wasting your time driving to Tesla multiple times for a scheduled appointment and they don’t have the parts. I think you’re entitled to a $100 refund, but like anything Elon says these days, good luck with that…

• Funny
Reactions: Jayy178