Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Control Arm Creak Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha. Just found this thread. My 2018 M3 RWD got the Infamous Squeakies a couple-three days ago. After being told that it would be until late next week or July before the car could be seen and thinking that Destroyed Car was in the offing, took it to a local tire place that I trust.

They were good. Heard the noises driving it across the parking lot, got it up on a lift, and found that upper ball joint on the driver's side control arm. While they were calling Tesla about parts, I did a quick Google search on "Tesla upper control arm squeaks" and got hit over the head by the landslide of results.

Managed to call the local service center and, after some close questioning by the SA, they said (in no particular order):
  • They've seen this lots, before.
  • It's not dangerous, but truly annoying.
  • A mobile tech can fix it (!). (Which I think is pretty good for a piece of the suspension.)
Earliest they can come and fix it is 6/27, this being 6/12 at the moment. But I'm planning on putting 500 miles on the car next week. Just to ask the cognoscenti: Besides the noise, any problem with this?

I believe it’s J, but not 100% sure.
Nope, looks like it’s G
"J" should be correct based on the parts catalog ( did more research since posting). The example posted looks like the Chinese made version. Note the black weight still bolted to the arm.

The Meyle's are almost 2 pounds lighter (700 grams), and don't have the black weight bolted on. Seems like a win win. They also upgraded the two bushings and made the ball joint diameter larger by 3 mm.

HD-Control Arm Tesla Evanexx has a deal on them but they're not available until September. They're available on Ebay today however.

I'm curious if anyone has a photo of the OEM "J" revision and what the price is.

Reactions: android04
Ha. Just found this thread. My 2018 M3 RWD got the Infamous Squeakies a couple-three days ago. After being told that it would be until late next week or July before the car could be seen and thinking that Destroyed Car was in the offing, took it to a local tire place that I trust.

They were good. Heard the noises driving it across the parking lot, got it up on a lift, and found that upper ball joint on the driver's side control arm. While they were calling Tesla about parts, I did a quick Google search on "Tesla upper control arm squeaks" and got hit over the head by the landslide of results.

Managed to call the local service center and, after some close questioning by the SA, they said (in no particular order):
  • They've seen this lots, before.
  • It's not dangerous, but truly annoying.
  • A mobile tech can fix it (!). (Which I think is pretty good for a piece of the suspension.)
Earliest they can come and fix it is 6/27, this being 6/12 at the moment. But I'm planning on putting 500 miles on the car next week. Just to ask the cognoscenti: Besides the noise, any problem with this?
I drove over 1000 miles with the creak on my left FUCA before I had Tesla replace it under warranty. There is no danger with driving it this amount of miles.

Attachments

• TESLA-3-Y-WACHACZ-PRZEDNI-GORNY-LEWY-1288321-00-A-Numer-katalogowy-czesci-1288321-00-A.jpeg
    TESLA-3-Y-WACHACZ-PRZEDNI-GORNY-LEWY-1288321-00-A-Numer-katalogowy-czesci-1288321-00-A.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 123
  • TESLA-3-Y-WACHACZ-PRZEDNI-GORNY-LEWY-1288321-00-A.jpeg
    TESLA-3-Y-WACHACZ-PRZEDNI-GORNY-LEWY-1288321-00-A.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 75
  • c15bb6a44c2091045aa04933e1b7.jpeg
    c15bb6a44c2091045aa04933e1b7.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Reactions: DeepBlue3
Well, the mobile tech came down this afternoon and, after a couple of hours, replaced both upper control arms.

Should have been afraid of this: Both boxes had a part number ending with a "-J". Guess I have the old ones. Well, that should take me another 50,000 miles, I guess.

Initial estimate was $370; revised, and what I paid, was $214. Which isn't bad, I guess, for a couple hours work. The arms were listed as $90 a piece.

Initial run around shows No More Squeaks. Boy, was that front left one noisy.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Well, the mobile tech came down this afternoon and, after a couple of hours, replaced both upper control arms.

Should have been afraid of this: Both boxes had a part number ending with a "-J". Guess I have the old ones. Well, that should take me another 50,000 miles, I guess.

Initial estimate was $370; revised, and what I paid, was $214. Which isn't bad, I guess, for a couple hours work. The arms were listed as $90 a piece.

Initial run around shows No More Squeaks. Boy, was that front left one noisy.
Smear a bunch of silicone sealant on the top of the ball joint.

Reactions: DeepBlue3