Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper control arm squeaks - how long at a service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 SR+ has just started impersonating a mouse at slow speeds which I presume is the upper control arm issue.
I'm booked in with Stockport on Thurs - been on hold for 30 mins to find out whether it's likely to be a quick fix where I can wait around for it to be done, or something that's going to take them a few hours to work on - in which case I'll try and get a lift home. Sounds like the fix is to squirt some more grease in. Anyone got thoughts on how long they usually take to do this?

Couple of hour for us. We could have waited but went for a longer walk/lunch. This was Peasmarsh / aka Guildford - nice walk into Guildford along Wey for those not wanting to wait in warmer months.

It did take 2 goes to get it done though. First time postponed for a couple of weeks as no stock. It had previously been 'resealed' previous year but that was very short lived so insist on replacement if only a reseal is offered. iirc the reseal was a soft recall.

My 2020 SR+ has just started impersonating a mouse at slow speeds which I presume is the upper control arm issue.
I'm booked in with Stockport on Thurs - been on hold for 30 mins to find out whether it's likely to be a quick fix where I can wait around for it to be done, or something that's going to take them a few hours to work on - in which case I'll try and get a lift home. Sounds like the fix is to squirt some more grease in. Anyone got thoughts on how long they usually take to do this?
They will do what's necessary. That means that if a squirt of grease and some manipulation deals with it it will be quick, but if they need to replace control arms then it will obviously take longer. Had your suspension been greased before? Some cars (including mine) were given some grease when in the Service Centre as a preventative measure rather than because they were exhibiting any noises. (If I was you I would be hoping for the new suspension parts if it's making noises ... some damage may well have already taken place.)

Upper control arm squeaking? $8 fix and 15 minutes of your time.
Watch this video, get $8 RedNTacky Grease from HomeDepot (or similar grease, read somewhere marine grease good too).
I modified the approach using an 18Gauge needle and a 10 mL syringe.
I was able to put air suspension in high and there was wide open easy access.
Injected 8 mL (seemed like the max) and it instantly fixed the problem. See the picture. I have a 2018 Model X.
Good luck!

(I donated to his PayPal, cuz this fix is just awesome!)

Attachments

• Upper Control Grease.jpg
    Upper Control Grease.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 129
I had success with my own twist on this process.
Lucas sells red-n-tacky in a spray can (11025). This is the same stuff described above, but in an aerosol delivery can, and it comes out like a thin liquid before the solvent evaporates.

I put my air suspension at full height. Poked a small hole in the boot with an exacto knife. Wrapped the boot with a paper towel, put the aerosol nozzle in the boot, and sprayed until it started leaking out.

Fixed the noise right away, and I didn't need to go buy a syringe.