Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Rear Link Build (Reduces rear camber to improve tire wear)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jan '13 P85 delivery here.

Certainly not an elegant solution, but I deployed a socket and vice for this simple soft aluminum press operation.
If I was to embark on this tire scrubbing, range robbing, tire eating effort at this time, I would start with a fresh new set ULs since the bushing diameter has been changed with upgraded materials as stated by #1 champ and I wouldn’t waste any time CAD/CAM the lighting “holes”.

So many thanks to #1 champ for helping guide me to achieve 51K miles from original set of 21 Contis and I will easily achieve the same service life on my second (now staggard) 21 Conti set currently at ~84,533 miles.

Good Luck!

When I designed mine for water cutting I skipped the holes as well.

Reactions: linkster
I would start with a fresh new set ULs since the bushing diameter has been changed with upgraded materials as stated by #1 champ and I wouldn’t waste any time CAD/CAM the lighting “holes”.
Linkster, thank you for your response. Can you elaborate on this? I'm not following what you're saying. Are you saying you would buy new upper links from Tesla instead of machining your own?

Since one can’t purchase the inboard or outboard UL bushings separately (without a complete UL) from Tesla, i would prefer to start with a fresh new set of the new and improved bushings since they are a wearable suspension component and the only way to sourcd said bushings is buy a new complete pair of ULs in order to harvest a new set of bushings or possibly a set from a low mileage S at a junkyard.

Lol, on an unrelated note, I will most likely “stretch” my M3 rear ULs just a tad by .100”.

Last edited:
does this work for cars with static suspension. (coils)
Yes. Whether eccentric busing (EV Tuning), or longer arms, pretty sure SAS or coil both see benefit.

If you have a coil car, your height is permanently set to about the middle of SAS. Tires may not wear so bad, at -1 degree, uless you're staggering 265's or greater. If you lower with shorter coils, or by "re-ringing" the lower spring perch down ~1", you'll start wearing your insides a lot more quickly (>-2 degrees).

It's early to judge tire wear, but using EV Tuning's bushings in fact did drop my negative camber a full degree. So, "low" setting is like the normal setting, @~1 degree negative. The other thing to bear in mind is, no matter whether you use bushings or arms, you won't drop negative camber much more without running into the limit of rear toe alignment (-that other eccentric will adjust rear toe only so much).

I was going to do a bigger review on these, but my time is being taken up at the intersection of MCUs and avoiding Tesla's updates. I can vouch for EV Tuning's bushings maintaining static camber (digital smart level). Others (earlier in the thread) questioned if the bushing lacked enough torsional play, as they mount to the sub-frame. By virtue of longer (more expensive) arms, retaining the inboard rubber bushing allows closer to the play Tesla allowed. This is a standing concern about using a more firm bushing. What I can say is, I haven't noticed any noises or other problems coming from what remains a rubber on metal interface, back there. Albeit more limited, there is still ~1mm of twist play along the outer diameter of AC Tuning's bushing.

In the end, I gotta say nice job EV Tuning / Electrified Garage!

I agree with @3mp_kwh post. I am very old and old school in that I grew up driving only solid live axle cars, no fancy expensive European cars with IRS and built in camber gain for handling. If one moves beyond a ~.250” increase in UL, like 3mp stated, you will run out of toe. I made some .250” long toes ;) as I am fussy about wasting energy, reducing efficiency, and more importantly, replacing extremely expensive (to me) tires when there is a remaining 3/4 of the meat (impossible or beyond, but of course!) on the outer portion of the bone/tire.

Hi Tony, to remove the toe arm bolt without cutting it, you can drop the rear subframe but we find that cutting out the old one with an oscillating saw is the easiest method and can be done in under 60-seconds with a fresh blade. Hope this helps.