Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upsell my M3 AWD and replace with a M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 21 Model 3 AWD (white on white) I purchased in July, so I've had it for about 5 months now. It has 3000 miles on the odometer.

I am still a gearhead at heart so I'll still play around on KBB for car values when I realized that my private party value range for my AWD, is 57 - 61k. Fair price being 59k. I purchased my car for 55k after taxes. If I sold at fair range, or better yet even higher, I could walk away with 4k or more.

That being said.. i'm heavily debating the idea of selling my AWD and ordering a M3P in it's place. Should I go for it? There's no private party sales tax in Arizona, but I will be on the hook for a new vehicle sales tax. EDD for a M3P is THIS MONTH (Dec, so says the website). Figured I wouldn't have problems selling my AWD - it's incredibly clean. Oh, and also, I have a baby due near end of January so there's that 😆 I wanna get my ducks in a row before she's here.

I also financed through a Tesla partner but figured I wouldn't have a problem financing yet again. I'd have over 32k or 34k to put down again.

Thoughts? Thanks all.

TLDR
-Have a AWD M3 LR. 3k on odometer. Paid 55k out the door, KBB fair value is 59k.
-Should I sell and replace with a new M3P?
-Any benefits or downsides to this? Credit score maybe, or something else I can't think of right now?

If I don't respond immediately I apologize, but I do read each and every response.

I can’t personally see the point in doing that. Marginal performance gains over LR AWD+boost. Mostly wheels, brakes, suspension - you can aftermarket anyway, if serious. Track mode if you actually track the car.
Marginal performance gains? That depends...0.6 seconds faster to 60 is far from marginal in my book. That said, I personally wouldn't bother making the change unless Track Mode is important. That is something LR can never have...

Upvote 0
I can’t personally see the point in doing that. Marginal performance gains over LR AWD+boost. Mostly wheels, brakes, suspension - you can aftermarket anyway, if serious. Track mode if you actually track the car.

Marginal performance gains? That depends...0.6 seconds faster to 60 is far from marginal in my book. That said, I personally wouldn't bother making the change unless Track Mode is important. That is something LR can never have...

Also I haven't bought the accel boost yet but WAS planning on it. I just add that 2k to the allowance for a performance. Only thing I don't like is the turbine wheels and loss of range, but I consider it to be more car.

I had a 14 camaro ss 1le as a daily a few years ago I can't imagine a performance would be rougher than that for suspension. Veloster N in N mode was a headache of a ride.

Upvote 0
I have a LR AWD with accel boost and I've ridden in the M3 Performance, and driven a Y Performance. The power/torque difference between the LR AWD+ and the Performance is just not that big. Basically the acceleration boost software cuts the gap in low and mid range torque between the two trim levels in half. Most real world 1/4 mile times and trap speeds are pretty close, within a few tenths and a few mph. You feel the biggest difference from about a 10mph roll. After about 75mph there's no difference between an AWD+ and a P.

Model 3 AWD+ torque curve 2019.40.2.png

Upvote 0
I have a LR AWD with accel boost and I've ridden in the M3 Performance, and driven a Y Performance. The power/torque difference between the LR AWD+ and the Performance is just not that big. Basically the acceleration boost software cuts the gap in low and mid range torque between the two trim levels in half. Most real world 1/4 mile times and trap speeds are pretty close, within a few tenths and a few mph. You feel the biggest difference from about a 10mph roll. After about 75mph there's no difference between an AWD+ and a P.

View attachment 742371
This chart is making me want a Performance over a LR AWD w/ Boost lol... To the OP, I would say if you want it then go for it. You will be happy with the new vehicle.

Upvote 0
OP how are you going to manage the logistics of selling your car private party, which isn't the most convenient thing timing wise if you want to maximize the money you get for it? Isn't there a significant delay to taking delivery of a new Performance? And then you have to run the numbers... there's probably some sales tax credit or rebate but it may not cover everything. It just seems like a big hassle when you can just buy acceleration boost.

Reactions: 1LE McQueen
Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate the advice!

@arghx7 I just did it a few months ago with my Veloster. It was fairly simple, after getting past the scam calls at least, even with an active loan. What do you mean by maximize the money? The only other option i'm aware of is Trade-In, and I understand trade-in offers are lower than private party values.

Honestly, i'm OK with selling if I get the higher end of KBB (61k). Right now i'm thinking, the worst i'm out is 5 bucks on a Craigslist ad. If I don't get the feedback i'm expecting then I can just scratch the whole idea and keep the AWD.

Only thing is, with KBB fair price being 59.9... let's pretend I get that much for a sale. I walk away with around 5700 in my pocket on top of my original out-the-door price with the AWD M3. After 5 months of payments, andafter paying off my loan, i'll have 32,000 to put down on a perf. So on top of that, another 2 grand down and I'll have the same monthly payment I do now.. Except I'll have a performance. Technically, it's a downright trade if I was to buy the accel boost.

idk, in my head it makes sense, but it might wholly depend on interest and what I can truly get for my AWD. On paper it looks like a no-brainer.

Upvote 0
Do you have another car to drive or are you depending on this one?

Well the Tesla website says January 2022 delivery for a Model 3 performance, but that's if you order today. So I guess the logistics aren't that complicated assuming that is correct, but as we all know they do production and deliveries in waves. You need to sell the car private party and find something to drive until the Performance model gets here, or buy the car first and wait until you get the price you want on the current car. But it's not like buying a car off the lot. You're trusting Tesla to deliver at a convenient time. Or you trade in and just eat the difference.

It's not like this is 2019, and you drive an F150 and you want to get a different F150 trim level. In that case there were a gazillion trucks on the lot and timing wasn't so complicated.

Upvote 0
I have an order currently for a 2022 M3P after recently selling my m3p- . Reason for selling was I received more than I paid for the car 2.5 years ago even after having 1 accident.

So currently I’m the decision was a no brainer. Order a m3p for the coming tax year and hope the ev credit is passed. Well I forgot to look at the limit (55k which the m3p would not qualify for) and now I have a decision. Change my order to a LR and purchase the acceleration boost or just keep the m3p order.

It seems like a tough pill to swallow that the m3p may ultimately be a delta of almost 20k after the credit. Any thoughts on what to do?

Upvote 0
I purchased a model 3 SR in 2019 for $35,000. After So California sent me a check for $2500 and So Cal Edison for $1000 making the actual money I spent for the SR $31,500.

Last Tuesday, I sold the car for $43,500 and the amount posted my bank that Tuesday. Yesterday, the car was picked up by a transporter and gone out of my like.

Also last Tuesday I ordered a 2022 Tesla model 3 Performance

Upvote 0
I have a 21 Model 3 AWD (white on white) I purchased in July, so I've had it for about 5 months now. It has 3000 miles on the odometer.

I am still a gearhead at heart so I'll still play around on KBB for car values when I realized that my private party value range for my AWD, is 57 - 61k. Fair price being 59k. I purchased my car for 55k after taxes. If I sold at fair range, or better yet even higher, I could walk away with 4k or more.

That being said.. i'm heavily debating the idea of selling my AWD and ordering a M3P in it's place. Should I go for it? There's no private party sales tax in Arizona, but I will be on the hook for a new vehicle sales tax. EDD for a M3P is THIS MONTH (Dec, so says the website). Figured I wouldn't have problems selling my AWD - it's incredibly clean. Oh, and also, I have a baby due near end of January so there's that 😆 I wanna get my ducks in a row before she's here.

I also financed through a Tesla partner but figured I wouldn't have a problem financing yet again. I'd have over 32k or 34k to put down again.

Thoughts? Thanks all.

TLDR
-Have a AWD M3 LR. 3k on odometer. Paid 55k out the door, KBB fair value is 59k.
-Should I sell and replace with a new M3P?
-Any benefits or downsides to this? Credit score maybe, or something else I can't think of right now?

If I don't respond immediately I apologize, but I do read each and every response.
Same boat but sold mine. Biggest issue will be the tax credit if it gets passed. LR becomes 41k roughly after incentives while the M3P remains 59k. This is assuming no price increases obviously.

Upvote 0
One other consideration - and there will undoubtedly be “shoot the messenger” replies - is you’re supposed to report the gain on your Federal income tax return. It’s a short-term capital gain, taxed as “ordinary income”. Not my fault; just passing along information which may be helpful to influence your decision. I do not know, nor is it any of my (or anyone else’s) business, what your Federal income tax situation will be at the end of 2021, so a short-term capital gain may be offset. But it’s something to factor in.

Upvote 0
Do you have another car to drive or are you depending on this one?

Well the Tesla website says January 2022 delivery for a Model 3 performance, but that's if you order today. So I guess the logistics aren't that complicated assuming that is correct, but as we all know they do production and deliveries in waves. You need to sell the car private party and find something to drive until the Performance model gets here, or buy the car first and wait until you get the price you want on the current car. But it's not like buying a car off the lot. You're trusting Tesla to deliver at a convenient time. Or you trade in and just eat the difference.

It's not like this is 2019, and you drive an F150 and you want to get a different F150 trim level. In that case there were a gazillion trucks on the lot and timing wasn't so complicated.

Yeah good point. I'll have a vehicle to borrow but yes the LR is my daily and only car. The wait will still suck. I also have a minor spider chip in the windshield that's hard to ignore.

I'm holding out on spending the 250 down too. My portfolio is tanking so the timing must be bad.

And get this.. I was going to post the car on Thursday, but ended up getting a nail in the tire. Outside of repairable area. So I dealt with that all saturday. Sunday I was busy. So now it's Monday and I still have a tint scheduled for the 16th. It's almost as if fate is making the decision for me.

Upvote 0