Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset at Major Headliner Issue - Anyone notice this? (resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gobagheera, I am a FANBOY, but if your disappointed and expected the Alacantara, you should call ownership and complain, I know I would feel slighted if my car was not delivered the way I expected it. Let us know what kind of an answer you get if you decide to complain, Robert

I suppose to clarify my earlier post since it could be interpreted as strident, I can certainly understand if Tesla decided the alcantra is hurting the budget and removing it. I just think they should have grandfathered in any existing orders. Perhaps make it an add on cost option in the future. Due to this thread, I went and sat in my car and looked at the alcantra pillars and headliner and thought that I would indeed have been very upset if I hadn't gotten it. That level of luxuriousness is an important factor for me personally, especially in a car with an intentionally spartan interior design. That and the CF interior were why I got the perf, or I should more appropriately say that pure performance alone wasn't enough and those things tipped the decision.

I'd like to see Tesla do right by those that want the alcantra interior, either with a retrofit or some sort of partial reimbursement if a retrofit isn't an option. It's simply not right that folks like me got it and other folks won't when we all saw the same demo cars, pictures and all paid the same price.

Edit: I have had a couple people specifically take note of the nice all around "leather" interior as they admired the dash, ceiling, etc, and ask me in test drives if this is the standard interior. I said it was part of the Perf package, though now that's not fully true anymore as they can't get the interior I have.

Last edited:
If affects something visual or performance, then yes.

I pointed out that Tesla probably should have done some notification on something so visible. But technically EVERY change affects something visual or performance. It is just a matter of how much.

I had a Dodge Neon in high school. It was made in Ohio and had a manual transmission. When it burned out I got new clutch plates put into the clutch. I had a friend with a Dodge Neon (same year but better options). It was made in Mexico and had a manual transmission. When his burned out he had to replace his whole modular clutch unit. That is because Mexican built Neons (1996) had modular, non-serviceable clutch units. Ohio built Neons had fully serviceable part built clutches. Should Dodge have had a disclaimer on all those cars? And in general the modular non-serviceable clutches were better than the Ohio built clutch assemblies.

People don't get to buy the car they look at with Tesla, unlike a traditional dealership. If the car they look at (or pictures of it online) does not match what they receive, they'll feel justifiably a victim of some level of bait and switch. Tesla's disclaimer about changes may occur only goes so far. If I were on the parking lot and said, "yea, I want this car!", then the dealer pulled out another to give me that didn't have the same leather interior I'd refuse it on the spot.

That is basically what I said in my post. I just said that I would not be exceedingly upset about a change from what I saw in real life, versus what I got in the mail. Should I be upset about my cloth headliner, since I only saw cars with Alcantara headliners before I bought my car? Should I be upset about my synthetic-leather lined cloth seats because they have more/less cloth than I want? Should I be this upset about the fact that I don't have driver profiles?

No. Because I ordered something online, got it in the mail, and none of those things were expressed in what I ordered. Can I be annoyed yes. But threatening legal action over something you assumed is absurd.

This is not what you expect from a luxury performance vehicle maker.

If this was KIA all the apologies might make sense.

But it seems that everyone has a different tolerance level.

When you are trying to brake the mold, you shouldn't create unhappy customers.

Replacing Alcantara with cheap cloth is demeaning for those that expected to get Alcantara.

To get cloth without explanation or heads up is insulting.

Very disappointing.

I actually prefer the cloth, but that is not really the point. Before my car was delivered, they dropped reference to Fog Lights in the Tech Package and I was worried I wouldn't get them (I did). It'll be interesting to see if Fog Lights eventually stop showing up on cars when they run out of the current part.

This is the key mention to me. They still say this on the website under options and pricing:

options.png

They specifically mention "extensive leather throughout" for the Performance model. With this change, is there any more leather in the car than in the standard model?

(although I suppose since Alcantara isn't really leather it shouldn't be referring to this anyway, but that's what I always assumed it referred to).

I had a Dodge Neon in high school. It was made in Ohio and had a manual transmission. When it burned out I got new clutch plates put into the clutch. I had a friend with a Dodge Neon (same year but better options). It was made in Mexico and had a manual transmission. When his burned out he had to replace his whole modular clutch unit. That is because Mexican built Neons (1996) had modular, non-serviceable clutch units. Ohio built Neons had fully serviceable part built clutches. Should Dodge have had a disclaimer on all those cars?
This is something not comparable at all unless Chrysler advertised the Neon including a serviceable clutch, and charged extra for it.

Well I misread that. But a post stating that you get a 'free' Alcantara headliner as part of a price justification of why there is no wheel upgrade deduct in a package is pretty weak standing. Granted it is some standing, but pretty weak.

I wouldn't call that advertising.

I think, with the battery pack costing so much, Tesla is hitting that ceiling where folks who are expecting true luxury at this price range aren't really seeing luxury all the way throughout. The interior takes a hit to absorb some of the battery cost.

On the other hand, those who may be upgrading and perhaps not used to what is to be expected in a high end luxury car may be more tolerant since it's all pretty luxurious in comparison.

Perhaps Tesla thought there would be more of the latter type of customer than the former and the cost-cutting would go largely unnoticed.

Last edited:
You are trying to defend the indefensible here. Most of the early cars got it, now it's disappeared.

Tesla changing something they never promised, and them not telling you is crappy. But the amount of outrage here is indefensible. "I paid the $12k mostly for the headliner" is pure hyperbole. Trying to say the largest single piece of fabric/leather in the whole car is a 'accent' piece is absurd.

Should you be irritated? I think that is a fine reaction, and acceptable. Should Tesla have notified people? Probably, but they didn't have to. Did Tesla promise an Alcantara headliner? No. Was expecting an Alcantara headliner with the Performance upgrade expected? Yes. Did you sign a document saying Tesla can change things without notifying you? Yes. Did you make an internet purchase? Yes. Did you get your car mail ordered? Yes.

Did Tesla change their windshield, so that there is no longer a RF 'gap' in the coating? Yes. Are people saying they no longer want their cars because of it? No. Are people threatening lawsuits because of it? No. Will this affect more people negatively? Yes.

I side with the OP's position and would use this as an analogy: Suppose Tesla removed the metal brake and throttle pedals from the Performance version and substituted with the generic rubber ones that are on regular S models without making any announcement, would any one here be happy with that and think it ok (I ask rhetorically). I think not.