Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset at Major Headliner Issue - Anyone notice this? (resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW! I didn't think we would be on page 11 after a day of not logging in.
Still waiting to hear back after the email I got said it had been raised to a "top level" as of yesterday.

Pete - Thanks for the info from the bulletin
CKessel - Thanks for the support as well.
Engineer - Sent you a PM. I'm about to sell my 2011 M3 sedan tomorrow...so overall the P85 is amazing.
Gobagheera - Hang in there. I will update if I hear anything. And I agree...I fully support Tesla and want them to survive and thrive.

It does appear there are two types of buyers. Ones that see the car as a point A to B, and others that come from higher end cars who are used to ultra plush interiors. It all comes down to detail. Whatever makes you happy.

I don't care how you look at it, but whether its getting the wrong wheels, paint, steering wheel...it shouldn't be happening without informing the customer! An honest mistake is a mistake. This is different. It was a corporate decision. I first thought my car slipped through the cracks and then find out the next day there was an internal memo and email about the change! What?! How can you change such a feature for an inferior feature (to me anyway) and have the customer just accept it.

It comes down to principle. Perhaps Tesla IS able to get away legally with this, but it would reflect so poorly to me if they use this avenue that I don't think I could trust them with configuring and finalizing and delivering a car as promised in the future again. That could destroy a customer base. Someone else made this point earlier. That is the BOTTOM LINE to me.

Let's see what happens.
Thanks all.

I don't care how you look at it, but whether its getting the wrong wheels, paint, steering wheel...it shouldn't be happening without informing the customer! An honest mistake is a mistake. This is different. It was a corporate decision. I first thought my car slipped through the cracks and then find out the next day there was an internal memo and email about the change! What?! How can you change such a feature for an inferior feature (to me anyway) and have the customer just accept it.

It comes down to principle. Perhaps Tesla IS able to get away legally with this, but it would reflect so poorly to me if they use this avenue that I don't think I could trust them with configuring and finalizing and delivering a car as promised in the future again. That could destroy a customer base. Someone else made this point earlier. That is the BOTTOM LINE to me.

This is how I feel. My P85 has been on order for months (deposit over a year). I will be upset if I don't receive what I ordered. But the larger issue is about trust and integrity, which is very hard to earn back once it's lost. It could kill Tesla and none of us want to see that happen.

As I was preparing to finalize the order of my P85 late last year, over the phone with Tesla, I went through the complete list of feature differences between the P85 and S85 - and the Tesla rep mentioned the headliner as one of the differences. Before I finalized my order, went by the local Tesla store - and looked at the P85 on display - and decided the headliner was a nice upgrade along with the upgraded seats - in addition to the higher performance. While it wasn't a huge part of my justification for going with the performance version, I would also have been disappointed if they'd made such a change in features after I finalized my order and committed to purchase the car.

With Tesla's ordering process, they really need to make this a very clear policy. Customers are not allowed to change their configurations after an order is finalized. Tesla should similarly not be allowed to make any changes. And if something does change, the customer should be notified, and be given the option to change their configuration or rescind the order (without financial penalty).

With Tesla's ordering process, they really need to make this a very clear policy. Customers are not allowed to change their configurations after an order is finalized. Tesla should similarly not be allowed to make any changes. And if something does change, the customer should be notified, and be given the option to change their configuration or rescind the order (without financial penalty).

Exactly what I was thinking. Just be fair and give your customer the choice.

EMdoc, did you happen to include a link to this thread in your email to Tesla? I would hope they read it to see what the customers think and that it is not just you.

That really really sucks. I picked mine up on March 22nd at the 11am appt. The car was supposedly ready for pick up on the 19th, but delayed it. Mine still had the Alcantera headliner on my P85. I really hope they make it right for you. Reading through all 11 pages, replacing the headliner to cloth is a BIG change. Sure, you can say changes will be made to the materials, but if it affects value or is a major change, that is a bait and switch setup. Go ahead and change a bolt manufacturer or a trim piece (but of the same quality and style), but not a whole headliner material. It's like you order your 21" rims with that particular style that you paid for and then they replace it with some ugly or cheapo design w/o informing you and giving you an option. Your showrooms are your advertisement pieces and the P85's reflect the headliner. Sheesh!

Hello all! I've posted this on the Tesla website forums but was recommended to try this site as well. So here is my post:
I wanted to know if anyone else is familiar with a major change that took place and went unannounced by Tesla. I took delivery of a loaded P85 3/22 and have been very happy with Tesla and the car. I want this company to succeed! I've expected a few problems here and there though I am very detail oriented and a perfectionist. I'm ok not having the spoiler, HPWC, and parcel shelf available at the time of pickup.

However, the entire headliner is fabric instead of the promised Alcantara as has been the case up until the 2nd week of March. This is unacceptable to me. It appears that recently the factory made a change and all cars come with the same fabric. Mine was one of the first to have had this. I was never informed. Cost savings? Im not happy about it at all and to me it completely changes the feel of the interior. I was promised a car as configured, and changes have been made without my knowledge or even approval. I'm working to see what Tesla can offer and will keep you updated. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Thanks

BTW, P85 cars up until the 2nd week of March all had alcantara and that is what I understood when I took the test drive. In fact, most of the cars on the lot had this so it is not something limited to the Signature edition.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just be fair and give your customer the choice.

EMdoc, did you happen to include a link to this thread in your email to Tesla? I would hope they read it to see what the customers think and that it is not just you.

That is a great idea. Thanks. Will ssee them a link. I know they are getting calls about this.

Yobigd20 - I didn't realize it when I picked it up since there was so much going on!