Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Tesla screwed customers who took delivery in the last few months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure are a lot of post here from people who bought model MYs more than a year ago telling people who bought em in the last few month how they should feel about their bad luck. I was fortunate and bought my vehicle in Jan ‘21, but I can certainly see how someone who bought the car recently would be pissed. Buying a MY in the last year has seemed like Russian roulette; you never know if the price is right, what new features are gonna be added right after you buy, what features will be deleted right before you take delivery, or how long it will really take to get the vehicle. I love my vehicle but as for the company and it leadership; just absolutely incompetent.
I noticed that almost exclusively those downvoting are those who got the car at a lower price than any Q3/Q4 buyers. They are active members of the community who can’t seem to understand our frustrations. If I had to guess, this recent price reduction only returned their car to near regular depreciation or slightly below depreciation. Meanwhile those of us, who finally decided to take delivery during the high point, wrongly assumed that the days of lower cost MYs were over and they might decrease cost a little, but that was extremely unlikely with the fact that they had all signs of being eligible for the $80k limit. Then when that didn’t happen, I thought, wow unexpected, Tesla is for sure going to bring back the SR to allow for a MY to qualify while they sort this out. None of us ever expected to see them change the MSRP drastically to meet this aggressive price point. It’s one thing for a dealership to have a sale, it’s another thing for a manufacturer to dump the MSRP of the car and leaving all the new customers absolutely upside down on loans and forced to get GAP insurance after using slimy sales pressure techniques to make people think this was the best time to get a MY

Bought model Y and was forced to tale delivery on dec 31 at 11:30 pm Otherwise I wont get the discount, any sane person would not want to leave the 7500 on the table but i could have waited to take the delivery and i told them i want to take the car in new year. The sales people insisted I take it on Dec 31. By california law you can get a return a car in 7 days , Tesla planned to sell as many as possible at the higher price ( sales teams were texting me back n forth even though i wasnt looking for a car in december , I had only inquired once sometime in early 2022) and then wait for 7 days which takes the to Jan 7 ( friday ) Jan 13 friday they drop the price by $13k + 7500 tax credit. Even with discount applied I have still lost alot of money since I cannot recieve any more tax credit for it as well. This is a planned scam. In 7 days car value has degraded $13k. No other car company does this type of huge price adjustments. This isnt fair to the customers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and tonyz1
So what's the solution OP? Tesla increases prices but never gets to decrease them so as to avoid upsetting the last people who bought it before the price dropped?
Potentially offset with software upgrades, SC miles, upgrade options, etc.

Lots of ways if they want to get creative but like most folks said, it's a business. It's just that Tesla's selling/business model is transparent for good/bad. Not a big issue with standard dealerships because we never see what the next or previous buyer pays for their cars. With Tesla, we see it front and center on their website which triggers the FOMO effect.

So what's the solution OP? Tesla increases prices but never gets to decrease them so as to avoid upsetting the last people who bought it before the price dropped?
Offer perks of any kind, show that they care. Free supercharging, EAP, credits, etc. lots of options. Tesla was caught off guard just as much as we were with the $55k limit, but they decided it was easier to just drop the price and leave all of us holding the bag rather than coming up with something nice for all your new brand ambassadors who will have friends and family asking how their ownership experience has been. :)

• Funny
Reactions: VegasMYP
As a new tesla customer I am pissed that Tesla did such a huge price drop. Feel cheated by Tesla...
Just took delivery in early December. This is such a huge change in price. I think it shall be protested by consumers who got screwed overnight..!

People who took delivery in the last few months..! What are your thoughts on this giant price reduction!
That's the way the cookie crumbles. That'a life!

Free FSD for those who purchased in the last 6 months :)
Exactly what I am thinking!
Compensate the people who recently bought a new Tesla, this is just screwing your clients with such a big price reduction.
In my case the price reduction is not that much on a Model Y RWD so it's not a big deal , but for those who purchased a Long Range model the price drop is insane. (On the S and X even more..)

Activating enhanced Autopilot of FSD is easy to do for recent clients.

there should be standardized costing model that should not include such big price drops , Buying a car is not like buying a bag of chips that you can 50% off. These are assets and people finance and have mortgaes that goes under water . Home and car buying is a life decision and people's saving goes into it.

Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
there should be standardized costing model that should not include such big price drops , Buying a car is not like buying a bag of chips that you can 50% off. These are assets and people finance and have mortgaes that goes under water . Home and car buying is a life decision and people's saving goes into it.
Are you gonna complain to the FED the rates hikes prevent you from buying or selling a house then?

this is what you have to say when you have severely overvalued both your stock and your car and then have to bring it back to reality once the jig is up and after having screwed over as many people as possible.
1673651890648.png

Exactly what I am thinking!
Compensate the people who recently bought a new Tesla, this is just screwing your clients with such a big price reduction.
In my case the price reduction is not that much on a Model Y RWD so it's not a big deal , but for those who purchased a Long Range model the price drop is insane. (On the S and X even more..)

Activating enhanced Autopilot of FSD is easy to do for recent clients.
What about for those who bought 7 months ago or 8 or 9 month? What about a year ago? Would you compensate people who didn't make the cutoff date as well?

I thought of a strategy where you own a Tesla and enjoy its cost saving benefits. Then when the 5-10 year mark comes along, wait around for a price drop and just buy it right away even if you don't really need to replace your car.

I think when I got the Tesla Model 3 in Dec 2018 (NYE), I got it due to tax incentive, then they lowered the price in January 2019. I think it was something like the tax incentive went away and Tesla lowered the prices even lower than tax incentive.

I'm thinking to get the Model Y now. I was waiting for some kind of major price drop like this or a major redesign. My Tesla Model 3 is now 5 years old with about 95k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.