Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Tesla screwed customers who took delivery in the last few months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of cars get marked down by 5k+, but you seem to think that even if you can get a new car for 5k under sticker that MSRP will magically keep used values high. Not how it works.

As to car manufacturers reducing MSRP, show me the other car manufacturers that are doing direct to consumer sales so we can compare apples and apples. Oh wait, the only ones that exist are small EV companies with no scale.

Ignoring all of that, MSRPs do get reduced.

Last summer, Chevrolet significantly lowered prices for the 2023 Bolt and Bolt EUV, cutting about $6,000 per model. But the price increased in January 2023, with the Bolt EV now starting at $27,495—still undercutting the Nissan Leaf by $545. This brings the starting price to $26,595 and $28,195, respectively. (Even with the increase, that’s $10,000 less than the Bolt from 2017.)

Previously, the Hyundai Kona Electric saw its base price lower from $37,390 to $34,000 for the 2022 model year, as newer Hyundai/Kia EVs charged into dealerships. The Nissan Leaf dropped from $31,670 to $27,400 for 2022, and it streamlined from five trims to two, the S and SV Plus, for 2023.
These links don’t show msrp changes they show dealer price changes. A dealers price adjustment has zero effect on the manufacture recommended price and therfore wouldn’t hurt the used market. As I’ve said before tesla skirted the msrp laws by creating a direct to consumer sales. Government has yet to catchup or create laws with this type of sale because it’s never hurt the consumer. Now after this I’d expect them to go faster them with new regulations or lawsuits/fines if they violated any state or federal laws.

These links don’t show msrp changes they show dealer price changes. A dealers price adjustment has zero effect on the manufacture recommended price and therfore wouldn’t hurt the used market. As I’ve said before tesla skirted the msrp laws by creating a direct to consumer sales. Government has yet to catchup or create laws with this type of sale because it’s never hurt the consumer. Now after this I’d expect them to go faster them with new regulations or lawsuits/fines if they violated any state or federal laws.

Yeah, it does suck. It will have an impact on everyone’s resale value. But I take comfort in the fact that Musk just stuck a big green weenie right up Biden’s and the legacy automakers who have openly conspired to exclude Teslas from nearly every rebate and incentive out there. This checkmate will price Teslas much more competitively and drive sales up while decimating sales of the legacies. Booyah!
I agree with some of your points here, honestly. But i can see why Tesla slashed prices. Their cars were priced out of the brackets for the incentive, what do you do? Slash the prices so that the 3 and Y qualify and still have that market share; sure you make a select window of folks mad, but you don't lose the business doing so.

One path is riskier for the business than the other and Tesla made the obvious choice. Sucks yes, but one can also see why.

Reactions: WasRight

Attachments

• 4477B317-EAD8-4D3B-9E59-05362C92D5A4.jpeg
    4477B317-EAD8-4D3B-9E59-05362C92D5A4.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 60
Indeed you can, and yet you have failed to do so.

View attachment 895875

View attachment 895876
There higher price wasn’t from inflation it was from being a new manufacturer and the prices decreases are from the batteries blowing up causing fires from bad manufacturing and lost reputation. There price drop is because of that. They didn’t raise prices since so people expect theirs to fall. But I’ll give this to you as an example. So there are a couple other manufactures that might hav reduced prices have making huge screwed up cars….

As for the msrp dropping that follows the laws fine and dealers are still required to inform you if you are being marketed up of you paying above that. Tesla never disclosed this and refuses so and deceiveing all of their buyers.

Plenty of cars get marked down by 5k+, but you seem to think that even if you can get a new car for 5k under sticker that MSRP will magically keep used values high. Not how it works.

As to car manufacturers reducing MSRP, show me the other car manufacturers that are doing direct to consumer sales so we can compare apples and apples. Oh wait, the only ones that exist are small EV companies with no scale.

Ignoring all of that, MSRPs do get reduced.

Last summer, Chevrolet significantly lowered prices for the 2023 Bolt and Bolt EUV, cutting about $6,000 per model. But the price increased in January 2023, with the Bolt EV now starting at $27,495—still undercutting the Nissan Leaf by $545. This brings the starting price to $26,595 and $28,195, respectively. (Even with the increase, that’s $10,000 less than the Bolt from 2017.)

Previously, the Hyundai Kona Electric saw its base price lower from $37,390 to $34,000 for the 2022 model year, as newer Hyundai/Kia EVs charged into dealerships. The Nissan Leaf dropped from $31,670 to $27,400 for 2022, and it streamlined from five trims to two, the S and SV Plus, for 2023.
Yeah, prolly wouldn’t use the bolt as an example. When you start burning down people houses, have to tell your customers not to charge in their garages at night, and send out a software update that limits how much you can charge your battery demand is gonna take a hit.

Yeah, prolly wouldn’t use the bolt as an example. When you start burning down people houses, have to tell your customers not to charge in their garages at night, and send out a software update that limits how much you can charge your battery demand is gonna take a hit.

Market forces at work. Market forces also driving Tesla's pricing, though obviously not the same ones.

Tesla screwed me big time.

I bought my Tesla for $70k and put a big down payment down (30%). I didn't get GAP because I thought I would be fine with such a big down payment, and believed my car couldn't depreciate more than 30% in a year.

Well, here we are. I checked my car's value today and it's a whopping $38k. It depreciated by $32,000! Now I am officially upside down on my loan and without GAP coverage!

I bought my Tesla for $70k and put a big down payment down (30%). I didn't get GAP because I thought I would be fine with such a big down payment, and believed my car couldn't depreciate more than 30% in a year.

Well, here we are. I checked my car's value today and it's a whopping $38k. It depreciated by $32,000! Now I am officially upside down on my loan and without GAP coverage!
32k loss is worse than my 20k. Elon musk killed his brand over night and will scare all future buyers away with such drastic decision making. It’s just starting to hit the new now.

Oh my ………. EDUMACATION TIME

Reactions: ElectricIAC
32k loss is worse than my 20k. Elon musk killed his brand over night and will scare all future buyers away with such drastic decision making. It’s just starting to hit the new now.

Sorry disagree
New pricing= demand will be off the charts
You can see it happening already

Status
Not open for further replies.