Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Vehicle expected date is moving around!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we ordered a MY LR on January 25

Their order page said "Expected delivery Febuary - March"

This was changed a week ago to "Last week of March" which is fine, still within what they promised on their website.

BUT...Yesterday they suddenly changed the expected delivery date to "May - June", so basically they pushed the delivery date back 3 months, compared to what they stated when we ordered.

So you might say "They had a LOT of orders, this is probably why they were a bit inaccurate"

BUT... If i visit the Tesla website today, and i select the exact same spec car, the website says "Expected delivery March - April"

If they now say cars ordered in January will (Maybe) be delivered in May, it seems impossible to deliver the same car to someone in April, if they order now, 1 month later.

So it seems they are willfully lying on their webpage, and i must admit i find this to be very poor.

In "my" country it seems that A LOT of costumers got this delivery pushback yesterday, and there are a LOT of angry costumers, people that have sold their car, to be handed over just days after their expected delivery date and so on.

We were looking at used Tesla's but found the used car dealers did not price the cars so that it would be worth it with a 1-2 months waiting time. If we had known that the delivery time would be 4-5 months, we might have just bought a used car, as we actually need the car "now"

To be honest this really pisses me off, them being so dishonest.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: StoXto3toY and GSP

Expected delivery date.... expe... expected.....

As in some people get them earlier, some people get them later. Not a lie.

1677240004260.png

This was changed a week ago to "Last week of March" which is fine, still within what they promised on their website.

BUT...Yesterday they suddenly changed the expected delivery date to "May - June", so basically they pushed the delivery date back 3 months, compared to what they stated when we ordered.

So you might say "They had a LOT of orders, this is probably why they were a bit inaccurate"

BUT... If i visit the Tesla website today, and i select the exact same spec car, the website says "Expected delivery March - April"

If they now say cars ordered in January will (Maybe) be delivered in May, it seems impossible to deliver the same car to someone in April, if they order now, 1 month later.

So it seems they are willfully lying on their webpage, and i must admit i find this to be very poor.

In "my" country it seems that A LOT of costumers got this delivery pushback yesterday, and there are a LOT of angry costumers, people that have sold their car, to be handed over just days after their expected delivery date and so on.

We were looking at used Tesla's but found the used car dealers did not price the cars so that it would be worth it with a 1-2 months waiting time. If we had known that the delivery time would be 4-5 months, we might have just bought a used car, as we actually need the car "now"

Would your MY LR be coming from Germany? Maybe you're affected by a ramp issue there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Expected delivery date.... expe... expected.....

As in some people get them earlier, some people get them later. Not a lie.

View attachment 910717
If that is the definition then it makes no sense even giving an "expected" date.

They lie to customers ordering TODAY, when they say they are EXPECTING the car to be delivered in March / April, because, when my car, ordered a month ago is going to be delivered in May / June, there is no chance that they will "expect" to deliver the car, ordered today, in March / April, unless these customers get to step in front of me and a whole lot of other buyers, which i would find unlikely.

All these "Tesla can... they could... they may... they probably" type language... this doesn't mean a lie. A thousand things can happen that can adjust delivery date.

If you tell your wife you'll take her out to dinner Saturday, then have to stay home with the flu and have to postpone, did you lie to your wife? You COULD/CAN/MAY be making an excuse because you knew you were never going to do it... I mean you ALWAYS lie and avoid going out with her and if you CAN be wishy washy with dates, then what's even the point? These are things a spouse could think.

That's what you sound like. Just relax. My MY came a month and a half later than originally expected. Just gave me more time to save for larger down payment and get accessories. If it pisses you so much, BMW is still making gasoline vehicles for the next 12 years anyway. You could pick one up today, even!

Reactions: turns2stone
I ordered my 1/18, first delivery "expected" delivery date was 31 mar to 12 May, it's now 25 Feb to 14 Mar, it will change so just relax.
Also, I don't understand people that sell their cars early or take out loans before a delivery date
Me either. That sounds silly. I knew anything could happen and things could change, so I kept my M3 until my delivery date. Sold to Carmax (4+ hour process) right after I signed the one page of Tesla paperwork and took delivery (a 2 minute process).

All these "Tesla can... they could... they may... they probably" type language... this doesn't mean a lie. A thousand things can happen that can adjust delivery date.

If you tell your wife you'll take her out to dinner Saturday, then have to stay home with the flu and have to postpone, did you lie to your wife? You COULD/CAN/MAY be making an excuse because you knew you were never going to do it... I mean you ALWAYS lie and avoid going out with her and if you CAN be wishy washy with dates, then what's even the point? These are things a spouse could think.

That's what you sound like. Just relax. My MY came a month and a half later than originally expected. Just gave me more time to save for larger down payment and get accessories. If it pisses you so much, BMW is still making gasoline vehicles for the next 12 years anyway. You could pick one up today, even!
I dont need to wait due to money, i have the full amount ready in the bank, no loan needed. :)

I am not interested in a gasoline vehicle, i wanted to buy a Tesla, and with a leadtime of 1-2 months, i would not expect them to "unexpectedly" 1 month later be 3 months behind schedule.

Either they are lying or else they are incompetent.

It is not THAT hard to calculate expected delivery time.

All you need is "How many vehicles are sold, but not delivered" versus "How many vehicles do we have in stock, plus how many vehicles do we get delivered every month"

If there were 299 people in front of me, when i ordered, and they can deliver 100 a month, then the delivery time should be roughly 3 months.

In that case i would put down 3-4 months delivery and make people happy that most got their vehicle earlier than expected, and still have a buffer, if something goes wrong.

Also, if i promise to take my wife out next weekend, when i know i am booked solid for the next 3 weekends, i can guarantee you, she will not be very understanding when i cancel the date Friday night. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and DblOSmith
I ordered my 1/18, first delivery "expected" delivery date was 31 mar to 12 May, it's now 25 Feb to 14 Mar, it will change so just relax.
Also, I don't understand people that sell their cars early or take out loans before a delivery date

You cant take a loan out before a VIN is assigned, but I agree... I would make sure the financial institution knows the loan shouldnt start until the vehicle is "delivered"

Reactions: hmadsen
I ordered mine about mid-January and it said "February-March". Two weeks later it had move to March and then I got a VIN in early Feb and took delivery on Feb 8. It all depends on how they match you to the car. I suspect mine delivered earlier because of a cancellation. YMMV.

They should be able to more accurately estimate delivery dates, but supply chain or production changes can alter estimates. Not sure what you expect, just a rant I guess? Though I wish mine would come sooner, maybe we’ll get more updates (HW4, better sensors?) than a March delivery. I’m resolved to wait it out…

Reactions: hmadsen
They should be able to more accurately estimate delivery dates, but supply chain or production changes can alter estimates. Not sure what you expect, just a rant I guess? Though I wish mine would come sooner, maybe we’ll get more updates (HW4, better sensors?) than a March delivery. I’m resolved to wait it out…
Yes, that is the only "advantage" i can think of with regards to the later delivery time. :)

IF the car has HW4, better camera's and the new Radar, i will be happy that they delayed the delivery, but to be honest, i dont think they will implement this in the MY, but rather start off with putting that into the S and X, and the MY will come with these at a "much" later date.

Time will tell. We were planning on going on a car holiday this summer, we were very close to ordering a place in Italy, i mean why not, delivery was February - March, but luckily we did not, who knows if they bump the delivery date another month compared to now, then we will be cutting it close to when our holiday is, and our other (Currently only) car is the Size of a Wolkswagen Polo, and with a 1.0 3 cylinder engine, it is not ideally suited for 2 adults and 3 kids, aged 10-17 on the german Autobahn :D

Reactions: GSP

. . . .

It is almost certainly the result of Tesla's computer production scheduling program. Because it is likely a really good program, it uses all data resources available including but not limited to: incoming orders, parts orders and vendor delivery predictions, logistics events like weather, train wrecks, ships circling outside the harbor in CA awaiting trucks that are affected by DMV rule changes - there is such a vast range of things affecting delivery predictions, if customers complain enough, perhaps Tesla will go to something like a view of a calendar with a blue "intentacle" flickering around pointing at different dates as each new bit of data comes in that will/may affect delivery date. Would you prefer that?

It is not THAT hard to calculate expected delivery time.

It's extremely hard to calculate expected delivery time. Tesla tends to build in batches, One model, one color, one configuration. I'm sure that they try to optimize the batches and satisfy as many customers as quickly as possible. And if a lot of customers all of the sudden want white, that may change the production schedule.

But in general, the estimate is often in the ballpark.

Folks in the US last year got delayed for almost a year because of the sheer volume.

But the general rule is that the estimate is definitely an estimate subject to change and often does. But one day, when you least expect it, you'll probably get a text that says that you need to pickup the car in a few days, so make sure that you have everything ready.

And there may also be the situation that someone doesn't pick a car that's near your and they make it available for you.

So if you want to say that Tesla is lying, then sure, that's your take.And you should maybe question whether you want a Tesla or not. I'm sure that there is someone in the queue after you that would love to have their car earlier.

Reactions: DrGriz

the delivery algorithm is subject to many variables and there's no attempt at dishonesty that can be inferred.
however, it's poor planning to sell your car even before a VIN is received. that's the minimum sell point.

there are so many sob stories here on TMC about such mistaken timing that at this point it cannot be said this is Tesla's fault.
the information and experiences are widely, publicly available, and if you didn't bother to be investigating all aspects of your purchase, that's on you.