Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Vehicle expected date is moving around!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not THAT hard to calculate expected delivery time.

Serious question: have you ever ordered a brand new car before? BMW can't tell you exactly when your car will be delivered. Even when you do get an allocation/production week, that is highly subject to change.

You give the example they can deliver 100 cars per month, and they know how many people are ahead of you. Well, they do know how many people are ahead of you, but one month they deliver 90 cars, the next month 110. Supply chain and other factors mean producing a car is not exact science. Hence "expected date".

Okay, lets hope they just pushed the delivery dates to get a bit of quiet, to be able to figure out what they can actually do.

I have now been informed that it seems the Danish "DVLA's" website for registering new cars has been down for a few days, but this should mainly affect owners that have gotten their VIN, and are about to take delivery, but still, probably a bit of a wrench in the machine for Tesla in Denmark.
Damn the Danish government, how dare they prevent people from registering their newly bought vehicles. People should riot and protest!!

/s

Isn’t that a prime example of “*sugar* happens?”

Reactions: DblOSmith
I think it depends on your Bank, Ive had USAA, for 18years, many loans and zero issues
I was talking insurance not loans.

And it's the 18 years at USAA that can be the problem. They've got 18 years of doing it the legacy way. You know, go to the dealer, they send the loan application over and exchange money and you pick the car up.
That's different from the Tesla way of doing things where they tend to have to get things ready in about 20 minutes.

I was talking insurance not loans.

And it's the 18 years at USAA that can be the problem. They've got 18 years of doing it the legacy way. You know, go to the dealer, they send the loan application over and exchange money and you pick the car up.
That's different from the Tesla way of doing things where they tend to have to get things ready in about 20 minutes.
Hmm interesting, USAA is a all online bank, has been for a long time. I'm not expecting any issues but Ill let you know soon enough. Just got a text my VIN will be assigned in the next 1-2 weeks

Serious question: have you ever ordered a brand new car before? BMW can't tell you exactly when your car will be delivered. Even when you do get an allocation/production week, that is highly subject to change.

You give the example they can deliver 100 cars per month, and they know how many people are ahead of you. Well, they do know how many people are ahead of you, but one month they deliver 90 cars, the next month 110. Supply chain and other factors mean producing a car is not exact science. Hence "expected date".
The big question will then be.

Is Tesla supply, so unreliable that their guestimation can be off by 300%

This is 1-2 months, that suddenly became 4-5 months. within 1 month.

Damn the Danish government, how dare they prevent people from registering their newly bought vehicles. People should riot and protest!!

/s

Isn’t that a prime example of “*sugar* happens?”
Sure, but 3 days balloning into a 3 month extension, is a bit far fetched if you ask me.

As soon as the VIN is assigned, they can start the registration process, so realistically they would probably start a couple of weeks before the car is to be delivered.

License plates are bought in bulk, and they can themselves do the registration, using these plates.

The previous car we bought from new, had a date of registration that was a couple of weeks earlier than the actual delivery date.

Rather than supply, my question is... what kind of mess did all the order changes make?

I know I made three different changes while waiting for my order.

MYLR 5/black to MYLR 7/Black/20"/tow to MYLR 5 to MYP.

And that's just me... I can't imagine hundreds, if not thousands of people doing the same.

Sure, but 3 days balloning into a 3 month extension, is a bit far fetched if you ask me.

As soon as the VIN is assigned, they can start the registration process, so realistically they would probably start a couple of weeks before the car is to be delivered.

License plates are bought in bulk, and they can themselves do the registration, using these plates.

The previous car we bought from new, had a date of registration that was a couple of weeks earlier than the actual delivery date.
Not everyone does it the same way.

When I bought my Honda Fit and Honda HR-V, they both came with plates. But there are many, many more vehicles in my area that only had temporary plates on them.

As for dates... well, when I bought my HR-V, it was listed as sold and registered in Sept, even though I picked it up in Oct... and that's all because they wanted it listed in Sept for their accounting.

I was not aware that i was supposed to go to other independent tesla themed websites to get the truth about delivery dates, i would have preferred if the information on their website were more accurate. I might be very demanding, but if they say 1-2 months, i would not expect that to mean 4-5 months.

But that's probably just me, expecting to much then.

PS. I did not sell my car previous car because i was expecting delivery at a set date, my previous car was actually totalled by someone else a few months ago, and we have found ways to live with only having one car, for some time now.
My Profile signature line shows the movement of my EDD over the course of my 7 month wait. At the time, that fluid up/down movement was very common.
It remains very fluid to this day, and while there is some understanding of why/when/how, it remains opaque.
Consequently it is challenging to plan, get loan approvals, etc etc.
But that circumstance has been well known and has been well broadcast outside Tesla's website on multiple User community sites for a long long time.
The time to get it all done starts when you get a VIN assigned.
I was not aware that i was supposed to go to other independent tesla themed websites to get the truth about delivery dates, i would have preferred if the information on their website were more accurate. I might be very demanding, but if they say 1-2 months, i would not expect that to mean 4-5 months.

But that's probably just me, expecting to much then.

PS. I did not sell my car previous car because i was expecting delivery at a set date, my previous car was actually totalled by someone else a few months ago, and we have found ways to live with only having one car, for some time now

It's not 'unreliable supply', it's more a factor of 'margin of error'. This is common for every automaker, and other industries heavily dependent on the global supply chain.

You never did answer... what new-car-buying experience are you comparing this to?

Simply put, it is what it is. Welcome to Tesla. The world rotates a little differently here. Some great, some not as great.

Yell, complain, raise your blood pressure all you want. It's only going to shorten your lifetime.

But it is much healthier to just sit back, enjoy the anticipation of how big that grin on your face will be as you sit in your car.

Reactions: jr_gn
It's not 'unreliable supply', it's more a factor of 'margin of error'. This is common for every automaker, and other industries heavily dependent on the global supply chain.

You never did answer... what new-car-buying experience are you comparing this to?
10 months ago i bought a brand new EV from MG, this car was sadly totalled after only 4 months, when some muppet reversed his V8 Ford Mustang into it at full throttle at a toll booth.

Ordered the car in February, got a delivery date in April and picked the car up in April.

The delivery date was pushed back 3 days, but that was only because i was supposed to take delivery on a Friday, but they were unable to have it ready until monday because the person that had to do the final piece of the process, and final inspection before delivery got sick. They had someone else work overtime on the saturday to get the car ready for me for monday.

All in all this experience was great.

Sadly 4 months later that car had become very popular and the delivery time was now 1 year. We actually did order a new car like it, but was only going to take delivery in August, so with Tesla claiming they could deliver in March-April, and with the price cut, we decided to spend the extra $15.000 compared to the other car, and get a Tesla.

With the current delivery date from Tesla i am potentially having to wait until 1½ month before the other car would be delivered.

We are in the same boat. Belgian here, MIG ordered last day of January, MYLR QS, towbar, black interiour, Gemini. EDD february-march has changed to April 4th - June 10th. And I am the lucky one, I read in the Dutch forum that some of us that ordered in January (per definition sooner than I did), received an EDD update going up to August depending on the specs.

I'm still hoping that Tesla somehow postponed delivery not only because of capacity, because also of some kind of update they are planning to roll out. But it will be in vain I guess...

Reactions: hmadsen
We are in the same boat. Belgian here, MIG ordered last day of January, MYLR QS, towbar, black interiour, Gemini. EDD february-march has changed to April 4th - June 10th. And I am the lucky one, I read in the Dutch forum that some of us that ordered in January (per definition sooner than I did), received an EDD update going up to August depending on the specs.

I'm still hoping that Tesla somehow postponed delivery not only because of capacity, because also of some kind of update they are planning to roll out. But it will be in vain I guess...
Yeah, here the media said that the reason the prices were dropped was because Tesla had a massive backlog of unsold vehicles, they produced but had not been able to sell, so the short delivery time was quite believeable in that context.

Now it looks like that was a lie, and they just wanted a lot of people to lock in their order, being told there were a short waiting time, and hope most would stay in the line until they are actually able to deliver, MUCH later than first "promised"

If this is the case, it seems a silly plan, as they will surely have a lot of angry costumers, that will feel Tesla has taken them for a fool.

Reactions: jr_gn
Well having to wait for like 4 months for a new car is no big deal, but given the earlier predictions by our SC (the spoke about 2 weeks at a certain moment, and they looked up the inventory and said "there are plenty, you just need a VIN, and 2 days later the car is on the truck from Berlin".

But now we are left with some planning problems. Like my old car being sold, having the buyer (luckily my kids) on hold. I have been pushing forward everybody to arrange for charging capacity at home. It has all been needless.

I'm just curious about the very reason for the delay. Was it hubris, bad planning, items not being in stock, other countries that get cars first, idk...

Reactions: hmadsen
Yeah, here the media said that the reason the prices were dropped was because Tesla had a massive backlog of unsold vehicles, they produced but had not been able to sell, so the short delivery time was quite believeable in that context.

Now it looks like that was a lie, and they just wanted a lot of people to lock in their order, being told there were a short waiting time, and hope most would stay in the line until they are actually able to deliver, MUCH later than first "promised"

If this is the case, it seems a silly plan, as they will surely have a lot of angry costumers, that will feel Tesla has taken them for a fool.
Seems like the mistake was taking any “media” advice as anything more then speculation especially regarding Tesla.

Reactions: ewoodrick