Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset with service costs, is this normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model X that I love. Never had any serious issues. Hit 65,000 miles and finally got a new set of tires/wheels/alignment/service done at Tesla Burbank. I got the car back and it didn't drive the same and then a squeaking noise began in the left right suspension when going over any little bump. I brought it to Tesla Centinela because Burbank didn't have appointments and they are now saying I need $7100 in repairs done. Replacing the control arms and brake pads. I told them i can't afford it and they said it was only necessary to fix the right side Control arm for $3300, fixing the left side would be preventative. If i wanted brake pad replace i was additional $900.... Are these prices outrageous? If i wanted to pick up the car to go get an opinion elsewhere i needed to pay a $400 "diagnosis fee". I've never had issues with anything Tesla before but this doesnt seem right?

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I have a 2017 Model X that I love. Never had any serious issues. Hit 65,000 miles and finally got a new set of tires/wheels/alignment/service done at Tesla Burbank. I got the car back and it didn't drive the same and then a squeaking noise began in the left right suspension when going over any little bump. I brought it to Tesla Centinela because Burbank didn't have appointments and they are now saying I need $7100 in repairs done. Replacing the control arms and brake pads. I told them i can't afford it and they said it was only necessary to fix the right side Control arm for $3300, fixing the left side would be preventative. If i wanted brake pad replace i was additional $900.... Are these prices outrageous? If i wanted to pick up the car to go get an opinion elsewhere i needed to pay a $400 "diagnosis fee". I've never had issues with anything Tesla before but this doesnt seem right?
You’re out of warranty and paying luxury dealership repair costs.

Seems normal to me.

Don’t be fooled, Tesla is running a business just like BMW/Mercedes.

Tesla wanted $2000 to replace pads and rotors. I laughed...

Pulled the rotors and had them turned at the auto machine shop and picked up the pads from Autozone. Cheap and easy...

The control arms aren't that hard either. After change out take in for alignment. I wish that the bushings were sold separate so you wouldn't have to change out the whole arm but last I knew you had to buy arm with bushings as an assembly.

No way it should cost you $400 diagnostic fee...

Last edited:

Pulled the rotors and had them turned at the auto machine shop and picked up the pads from Autozone. Cheap and easy...

The control arms aren't that hard either. After change out take in for alignment. I wish that the bushings were sold separate so you wouldn't have to change out the whole arm but last I knew you had to buy arm with bushings as an assembly.

I thought these brakes were suppose to last a long time. Is this typical for the X?

Perhaps you should ask if this TSB has been done.
That should be done free of charge.
February 10, 2017 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: SB-17-31-001
Components: SUSPENSION, WHEELS

NHTSA ID Number: 10110741

Manufacturer Communication Number: SB-17-31-001

Summary

Some Model S and Model X vehicles may have been manufactured with front suspension fore links that may not meet Tesla strength specifications. In the event of link failure, the driver can still maintain control of the vehicle but the tire may contact the wheel arch liner.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Has anyone seen or anyone started a DIY repair thread or posts for Tesla owners for these type of repairs? With my typical ICE cars there were always videos of people doing their own repairs in detail or at least pictures to go with instructions on how to do the task.

Reactions: hpartsch
They probably work on commission like most automotive dealers service centers. I just took my recently acquired 201c875d in for an alignment and was informed that the tread on the left front tire was 2mm less than right side and they couldn't guarantee the alignment unless I replaced both the tiresand both for $1054. When I balked at that they said the could just do the one tire. Funny though that if I replaced only the one tire wouldn't the old one on the right side be less tread depth and the circumstances be the same just switched to the other side? Tires only have 15,000 miles on them. When I stated that uneven tire wear indicates that there may be a suspension problem other than alignment that may be the cause they tried to tell me it may be from driving habits instead. First experience with local service center and I will be avoiding them if at all possible in the future. Total BS

Reactions: logan

I have not turned rotors in at least a couple decades. Always new ones for me and all dealers will install new ones these days. It’s nearly impossible to find places that will turn them. If it was 4 rotors and pads that doesn’t seem that out of line for a “luxury” brand.

Auto parts stores will turn rotors

Exactly. I have not bought the junk that auto parts stores sell since I was 19, ok early 20’s. Thrush mufflers, plastic hub caps, magic potions for radiator leaks and oil burning engines. Nothing ever worked as well as OEM parts. And when I did have my rotors turned back in the day, half the time they would be warped very quickly. I found it cheaper to get better OEM parts, even though they were 3x the price. Most places won’t turn rotors any more. Does Tesla give a spec on how much they can be turned down? Did the Auto parts follow that spec? And if you have any warpage (which pretty common) turning is not gonna work.

Last edited:
I have not turned rotors in at least a couple decades. Always new ones for me and all dealers will install new ones these days. It’s nearly impossible to find places that will turn them. If it was 4 rotors and pads that doesn’t seem that out of line for a “luxury” brand.
Plenty of places turn rotors and it is cheap. So are the pads. Easy to change out the rotors and pads on a Tesla and not having to repack the bearings when doing it. Pointing out that you don't have to pay more than around $200 total (excluding your own time) and do them yourself. But sure, if you haven't the ability or for whatever reason, and need a luxury dealer on the other end of the spectrum to do it, than it is a big difference.

You are funny, it is the OEM factory rotors in this case that are refurbished and reused. And the pads could very well be produced by the brake pad OEM as well. Tesla doesn't make the brakes and rotors and you could buy them direct from those who do. And I will also point out that there are many aftermarket parts and accessories that are better than OEM.

Last edited:
Plenty of places turn rotors and it is cheap. So are the pads. Easy to change out the rotors and pads on a Tesla and not having to repack the bearings when doing it. Pointing out that you don't have to pay more than around $200 total (excluding your own time) and do them yourself. But sure, if you haven't the ability or for whatever reason, and need a luxury dealer on the other end of the spectrum to do it, than it is a big difference.

You are funny, it is the OEM factory rotors in this case that are refurbished and reused. And the pads could very well be produced by the brake pad OEM as well. Tesla doesn't make the brakes and rotors and you could buy them direct from those who do. And I will also point out that there are many aftermarket parts and accessories that are better than OEM.

I’ve done plenty of brake jobs myself. I just never buy anything from Autozone or Napa or whatever. I’ll buy the OEM stuff and I’ll always buy new rotors. And if it costs a $1000 for parts and the dealer will do it $1200 I might have the dealer do it. Depends how busy I am. If you want to turn rotors, that’s up to you. I wouldn’t, certainly not on a $100K vehicle.

I’ve done plenty of brake jobs myself. I just never buy anything from Autozone or Napa or whatever. I’ll buy the OEM stuff and I’ll always buy new rotors. And if it costs a $1000 for parts and the dealer will do it $1200 I might have the dealer do it. Depends how busy I am. If you want to turn rotors, that’s up to you. I wouldn’t, certainly not on a $100K vehicle.
In this case, the OEM parts and the OEM rotors resurfaced cost $110. So I made nearly $1900 doing it myself. Good pay for the short time it took! Tesla wanted $2000 for the same result.