Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upsized 90D from 19" -> 21" - won't fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 MS 90D that came with the stock 19" wheels/tires. I have been changing them every season between winters and summers (in NY) without any issues.

This spring I decided to get a second set of wheels / tires to make the process easier every season and went with some recommended staggered wheels from tirerack - they are Axis MS TI Gunmetal wheels:

Front: 21x9 w/ 40mm offset
Rear: 21x10 w/ 40mm offset

Fitted out with Pilot Super Sport 245/35ZR21 on the front and 265/35ZR21s on the rear.

My installer says that the tires are rubbing (he only got as far as the first rear tire). Has anyone else had issues with fitting larger tires/wheels on the Model S? As far as I can tell these are the stock OEM 21" sizes so I'm surprised it wouldn't work.

I thought I'd ask before I returned the wheel/tire set - maybe there is some sort of spacers or other item that I should have bought to allow for the larger diameter? Thanks for any insights!

Links if they're helpful:

Rear Wheel:
21x10 Titanium Gunmetal Axis MS

Rear Tire:
265/35ZR21 Michelin Pilot Super Sport TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech

I have the same exact setup. I have no rubbing whatsoever.

Axis MS 21x9 front
Axis MS 21x10 rear
I do have the Falken Azenis tires. But they are the same size 245 front 265 rear

I don’t have air suspension so that might be it. Weird nonetheless

Attachments

• 84EED9DE-BFD5-4B39-BB6C-D91A96742A8A.jpeg
    84EED9DE-BFD5-4B39-BB6C-D91A96742A8A.jpeg
    686.7 KB · Views: 172
I have the same exact setup. I have no rubbing whatsoever.

Axis MS 21x9 front
Axis MS 21x10 rear
I do have the Falken Azenis tires. But they are the same size 245 front 265 rear

I don’t have air suspension so that might be it. Weird nonetheless

Thanks everyone for the feedback - it give me hope! I’m going to just jack the car myself in my driveway and get a sense of the fit. Maybe the installer was just conservative. He freaked out at me initially when I pulled out the wheels/tires and pointed out that the sticker in the wheel well said it needed 19”s.

Fingers crossed - I’ll let you all know either way.

Well crud - no go unfortunately at this point. The right front wheel is definitely rubbing on part of the inside of the wheel well. It’s not the tire thought, it’s the inside of the rim. Here’s a picture after taking the tire off after hearing it rub when pulling forward

It looks like it could be solved by a spacer (it’s just barely touching), but there definitely weren’t any spacers in the hardware shipment. I’ll call tire rack to see if they will ship me one. If that solves it, great... if not, I’ll return the wheels/tires. Bummer so far!

Attachments

• EE40A833-A5AD-437D-81F4-07572441E5E8.jpeg
    EE40A833-A5AD-437D-81F4-07572441E5E8.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 107
Well crud - no go unfortunately at this point. The right front wheel is definitely rubbing on part of the inside of the wheel well. It’s not the tire thought, it’s the inside of the rim. Here’s a picture after taking the tire off after hearing it rub when pulling forward

It looks like it could be solved by a spacer (it’s just barely touching), but there definitely weren’t any spacers in the hardware shipment. I’ll call tire rack to see if they will ship me one. If that solves it, great... if not, I’ll return the wheels/tires. Bummer so far!

A tiny spacer should solve that pretty easily. You need a 64.1mm center bore.

These should do the job.

https://smile.amazon.com/HUBCENTRIC-5x114-3-Spacers-Integra-Element/dp/B01N8XO1SW/

Reactions: dzmconstr
Aren't 21" Tesla wheels 8.5" in the front and 9" in the back?
Not exactly. My understanding is there are two types of 21s. The standard cyclone wheels which were going for 6k on teslas site are the same size. Then the P85+ cars came with a special staggered 21 setup. I've got 21s that were stock from tesla back in 2013 and 2014, the gray cyclones, which are the same size.

If you can get your money back, return them and buy rims with the correct offset.
Use this calculator to help you figure it out https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#

Looking at those gouges, are you sure he didn't mount the 10" wheel up front?