Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upstate NY - Binghamton Tesla Owners - HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no change in the legislation. Tesla was forced to stop selling at Syosset in order to open Brooklyn.

But Syosset is still an active Service Center, correct?

Assuming it is, that means Tesla did increase the number of Service Center locations in New York State. The earlier posts in this thread made it sound like the legislation prevented opening both stores and Service Centers. This would at least demonstrate that the opening of Service Centers is not restricted.

But Syosset is still an active Service Center, correct?

Assuming it is, that means Tesla did increase the number of Service Center locations in New York State. The earlier posts in this thread made it sound like the legislation prevented opening both stores and Service Centers. This would at least demonstrate that the opening of Service Centers is not restricted.
Correct. Syosset remains a service center. My reading of the legislation is that stores are restricted, service centers are not. NY has completely separate rules about "dealers" and "repair shops". (And yes, dealerships have to get a separate license in order to repair cars.)

Tesla should open service centers in NY fast, before the Auto Dealers get any funny ideas about going back to the legislature again. (I mean, we'd fight 'em, but better to open the service centers ASAP.)

But anyway, at the moment it looks like there are only three service centers (Brooklyn, Westchester, Syosset) in NY. (There are also three "store only" locations at Manhattan, White Plains, and Manhasset.) Tesla can *definitely* open a Syracuse service center. (I was fooling around with Google trends, and Syracuse is definitely the right location. See this: Tesla Needs a Service Center in Syracuse, NY )

(Actually now that the Brooklyn site is open Tesla should probably close the Manhattan store, which would allow a Syracuse store to open.)

Last edited:
Correct. Syosset remains a service center. My reading of the legislation is that stores are restricted, service centers are not. NY has completely separate rules about "dealers" and "repair shops". (And yes, dealerships have to get a separate license in order to repair cars.)

Tesla should open service centers in NY fast, before the Auto Dealers get any funny ideas about going back to the legislature again. (I mean, we'd fight 'em, but better to open the service centers ASAP.)

But anyway, at the moment it looks like there are only three service centers (Brooklyn, Westchester, Syosset) in NY. (There are also three "store only" locations at Manhattan, White Plains, and Manhasset.) Tesla can *definitely* open a Syracuse service center. (I was fooling around with Google trends, and Syracuse is definitely the right location. See this: Tesla Needs a Service Center in Syracuse, NY )

(Actually now that the Brooklyn site is open Tesla should probably close the Manhattan store, which would allow a Syracuse store to open.)

I know that this has been your interpretation of the legislation, but now we have proof that your interpretation is the correct one! :)

A Syracuse Service Center would be fantastic. Heck--I'd even settle for Rochester, though Syracuse probably makes more sense with respect to being able to also serve Pennsylvania.

As for closing the Manhattan store, I could see an argument for wanting to have a store in a city like Manhattan. On the other hand, with a store nearby in Brooklyn, and also one pretty close in Paramus, NJ, one could definitely also make an argument for closing it, and opening one in an under-served location.

A Syracuse Service Center would be fantastic. Heck--I'd even settle for Rochester, though Syracuse probably makes more sense with respect to being able to also serve Pennsylvania.
The Google Trends say Syracuse will get more business than Rochester, Buffalo, or Binghamton... see the link. :) Also, Syracuse can serve Watertown, the western Adirondacks, etc. (People up there are used to driving long distances, but Syracuse is way better for them than Rochester.)

The Google Trends say Syracuse will get more business than Rochester, Buffalo, or Binghamton... see the link. :) Also, Syracuse can serve Watertown, the western Adirondacks, etc. (People up there are used to driving long distances, but Syracuse is way better for them than Rochester.)

Hey, no argument from me! I'm in Syracuse several days a month as it is, and as you are well aware, Syracuse is a lot closer to Ithaca than Rochester is. I was just suggesting that anywhere in Upstate NY would be better than the current situation!