Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urban living owners: how are you charging your M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is more of a "do you think there will be a theft/vandalism problem" question?

So, we go into SF fairly frequently to visit family. Like many homes there, the garage is not used for parking. They use it for storage, but many others build living spaces and stuff down there. Anyways, most people park on the driveway and out on the street instead of actually in the garage.

The charging cable is a $500 cable. How are you guys going to charge? Just run an extension cord out if the supplied Tesla charging cable isn't long enough? Are you worried about it being stolen or vandalized?

I hope it locks. That wouldn't stop the vandalism, but I'm hoping to park in the driveway in a way that it'll be hard to see that it's plugged in unless you get real close.

Can't get to the laundry outlet, but I'll take 3 miles for an hour charge. If I get the LR, an overnight charge should be enough to run around the city while leaving enough of the original charge to get all the way back home.

You can get lockable electrical outlet covers like this:
images

I don't think vandalization is a big problem here in the US.. in Europe though it's more of an issue. Laws are very relaxed and criminals don't have as much to lose. I really don't think a $500 charging cable would last long in France.

Ever since Jerry Brown got that stupid bill decreasing penalties for "minor crimes" (including some felonies), we've had an increase in theft and other property crimes in our area. Which is why I'm especially worried about charging outside in SF, because property crime is really small potatoes.

Reactions: Callawayc7