Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urban superchargers and limit on DC charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen some threads and videos on YouTube about supercharging speeds being limited if you supercharge too much (above some defined amount of kWH).

Does this limit apply to the slower urban superchargers or just the 150kW+ full speed superchargers?

Yes this was first discovered with the 90 batteries. They suddenly dropped to 90 kW charge speed. It is now confirmed the 100 batteries also are reduced (to aprox 100kW) after about 25,000 kWh of DC charging. So in both cases you don't see any change at an urban supercharger as it maxes out under those limits.

The older 85/60/70 batteries are reduced as well but more by general age. They don't get a sudden limit. For those batteries the entire charge session is reduced. How much depends on the age and use of the battery. My battery for example is 6 years old and has 267 k miles. Supercharge speed is about half of what it used to be.

25k kWh of Supercharging should be right around 50k miles for me. Is that accurate?

I've surpassed the 2500 kWh of Supercharging (new X got in July, currently just over 5k miles, and only exclusively use the superchargers).

25k kWh of Supercharging should be right around 50k miles for me. Is that accurate?

I've surpassed the 2500 kWh of Supercharging (new X got in July, currently just over 5k miles, and only exclusively use the superchargers).

I don't remember exactly. He did some interpolation to calculate the numbers so it might be a little off. I don;t know for sure what the limit on the 90 batteries before it gets limited. And as mentioned the older batteries don't have a threshold for a sudden reduction, they are reduced gradually. But all cars eventually get charge limited after using superchargers for a while. We haven't seen it in the Model 3 yet but remember it took years to notice it on the Model S/X cars. Very few people keep exact tarck of charge speed and compare it over time of their ownership. We also didn't have CAN bus data from the Model 3 for the first year or so before it was decoded and tools were supporting it. I'm certain the Model 3 will get a similar reduction eventually. The cell chemistry is the same as in the 100 battery packs.

Yes this was first discovered with the 90 batteries. They suddenly dropped to 90 kW charge speed. It is now confirmed the 100 batteries also are reduced (to aprox 100kW) after about 25,000 kWh of DC charging. So in both cases you don't see any change at an urban supercharger as it maxes out under those limits.

The older 85/60/70 batteries are reduced as well but more by general age. They don't get a sudden limit. For those batteries the entire charge session is reduced. How much depends on the age and use of the battery. My battery for example is 6 years old and has 267 k miles. Supercharge speed is about half of what it used to be.

For 100 packs, this was 15,00kWh before. Did Tesla bump this up to 25,00kwh?