TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

URENT: Advice/Help Needed for Model S!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mnec, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mnec

mnec Member

Hi All

I just saw the Model S refresh. and I am in a very trick situation.

I have order the inventory car and I am suppose to pick up on 13 April. (tomorrow ) In Toronto.
    So I need your advice do I pick up the Old style ( It is 11 K cheaper than new models.)
    I know it has new front grill +LED + Air filters. But Driving dynamics remain same.

And when we see the new design on road will I regret that I should have waited 24 Hrs.

I am very confused.Pls Help

2. pluginx007

pluginx007 MXCar :)

If you believe its worth the 11k, then go for it. I would personally get the new thing so I don't freak out every time I see it in the street and regret. Is the LED lights and Air filter important to you? I personally like both models.

3. bagleyc

bagleyc Member

I would take it and save the money for the next one with APv2.

• Like x 3
  4. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Your saving 10% and you have a car now. Have to decide if those items mean that much to you. In three years, I don't personally feel like the resale will be that much different, esp not $11k lower.

The new features aren't enough for me to purchase. Was hoping for new car to be delivered this summer, but I'm still waiting.

• Informative x 1
  5. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Hard to answer for you--are the changes worth $11K plus anything you lose from walking away from the current deal?

I have a 2013 and your point is spot on--outside of acceleration, the differences between driving my car and the P90D loaner I just had was minimal.

6. Blueeyedme

Blueeyedme Member

A personal decision to be sure. I chose the "old" model 12 days ago and saved the money. You're choice may be different.

• Like x 1
  7. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

You have to ask yourself, how much do you like the new style and features? If you like them $11,000 much, then cancel and order a new one. Otherwise, stick with what you have.

Personally, I like the older style. The new one looks fine too, but the old one is better. If I were you, I'd continue with picking up your car tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure I'm not you, so you'll have to come to your own decision!

• Like x 2
  8. 1208

1208 Active Member

To give you another perspective:

What would you do if this design, LED and HEPA change happened with a regular ICE car, like a Ford, Toyota, Mercedes etc.

Would you buy the old style/last years model or the newer one?

The fact that you are asking these questions doesn't sound like you are happy with not getting the newer.

IDK, it really is a personal choice, expecially if finances are a key part.

• Like x 1
  9. mnec

mnec Member

Did you got the inventory model or Custom Order?

10. mnec

mnec Member

Have you order you car?

11. FL70D

FL70D Member

I am in the same boat. I am supposed to pick up my inventory car tomorrow. The difference is I wouldn't have been blindsided by my ICE car's model refresh because that is clearly telegraphed by the manufacturer to exactly avoid this type of situation. I get that Tesla updates 20 parts a week, but a little "heads-up" a week ago when purchasing my inventory car would have been nice. Caveat emptor I suppose. I actually don't think the changes were that significant compared to what they could have been, and I am inclined to lick my wounds and take order of my now "classic" brand new car tomorrow. And yes I will be bummed out when I park my two week old car next to the new model.

12. mnec

mnec Member

Glad here somebody is in same boat but I appreciate your thoughts . I am in touch with the guys at Tesla store and my delivery advisor will get back to me soon.

13. Blue Millenium

I have had mine for 3 weeks. Was holding my breath on the refresh. Now I'm glad I took the inventory car and saved the money. Having said that, I also leased so in 3 years, I will get the latest version at that point.

• Like x 2
  14. tanner

tanner Active Member

For what it's worth, after vacillating for months on end regarding purchasing a new S (no easy task for me) in light of AP and dual motor/general improvements, I'm finally pulling the trigger. This is finally a great time (for me) to buy the new S since it likely won't see any other major revisions for some time (possibly just a 100kWh battery pack this summer, but I'm not going top of the lime anyway).

15. rembaz

rembaz Member

For me is facelift always a better option. Three reasons:
    1. Newer design
    2. Newer technology - > options

And most important:
    3. Automakers always improve a lot of stuff underneath-> improved quality

16. 1208

1208 Active Member

From a personal opinion, I always hated the cone and have waited years for them to change it. If I'm going to pay 10's of thousands for a car, I might as well pay for one I like the look of and is new.

I wouldn't pay the cost of an expensive new car for something that is an older version, especially if I have the choice to get the new one. Not many have that choice.

17. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

#17 ABCCBA, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    I would wait for another couple years, because the features that they will come out with then will be so much better than what they may come out in a few weeks/months.

• Funny x 2
  18. Blueeyedme

Blueeyedme Member

I took an inventory car and saved the $$. That was the best choice for me.

• Like x 1
  19. kmtl

kmtl Member

Take the inventory car and do something else with the 11 grand...my suggestions:
    ..TSLA stock...$11k worth of stereo upgrades...a week for the family on St. John...monthly detailing...kids college fund...a few cases of outstanding wine and open a bottle each time you see a newer Tesla drive by and feel a little sorry for your self. Or make a charitable donation and turn that regret into satisfaction.

20. Charles Hord

Charles Hord Member

Same care otherwise? Save the $11,000! That's a no brainer. Remember, in a few weeks the emotion will be gone, you'll have a fantastic car, and $11,000 saved for its replacement. Remember, after your first rock chip, the latest S will loose some luster. Besides, I like the old nosecone look. LED headlights are great, but not worth $11,000. I'll eventually get them on the AP 2.0 replacement.