Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urge Tesla to provide an option for enhanced Frunk lid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see that when you get a pizza or something with strong odor it can trickle up to the cabin area if you place it in the trunk. The Frunk is the ideal place for it but it would be so much nicer if they could provide a power close on the Frunk too... it would be nice to get it free as a part of the Technology bundle but I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind paying for it extra specially if it saves us from the dreaded damage to the hood; it is also begging to be an option for the after-market.

It reminds me of the initial Apple antenna gate fiasco where Steve Jobs said you're holding the phone wrong! We shouldn't have to worry about closing the Frunk wrong, just make it power close and let TM handle the the appropriate closing pressure points and the force.

Besides, no other car has a Frunk; wouldn't it be an awesome way to show off the luxurious front space using the power lift open and close for the Frunk.

Besides, no other car has a Frunk; wouldn't it be an awesome way to show off the luxurious front space using the power lift open and close for the Frunk.

Plenty of other cars have frunks, but they are mostly sportscars (Porsche, Mclaren, Ferrari, Lambo, etc). My experience with those cars is that it is not nearly as difficult to close the frunk lid in those cars as it is on the Tesla. My normal way of closing my Porsche frunk was either at the very very lip (which will damage the Tesla), or on the Porsche crest at the center (which will also damage the Tesla) -- either way with the goal of minimizing fingerprints on the paint. Tesla suggests that you leave huge handprints, and that is still somewhat risky.

For those of use in snowy areas you really don't want to be touching this part of your car as it gets covered with road grime and salt at this time of the year. And the frunk area gets this much worse than the trunk since you get the spray from vehicles in front of you.

For those of use in snowy areas you really don't want to be touching this part of your car as it gets covered with road grime and salt at this time of the year. And the frunk area gets this much worse than the trunk since you get the spray from vehicles in front of you.

Actually I find that the trunk lid gets dirtier than the front bumper and frunk lid when the roads are wet and slushy. But the trunk lid has power open/close, so I don't have to touch it. I'd like to see a power latching device on the frunk (or a full power open/close), but I'd still use the trunk more since I can't get to the frunk once I've pulled into my garage.

I've read plenty on this and due to the risk of the frunk opening at speed, among other things, it's not as easy as it looks. For example, a mechanism similar to a trunk would be risky I hear. With all that said, it is frustrating that one of the coolest features of this car, we even invented a word for it, is scary to take advantage of. This has got to be fixed and if anyone can do it, I suppose it is Tesla.

I can see that when you get a pizza or something with strong odor it can trickle up to the cabin area if you place it in the trunk. The Frunk is the ideal place for it but it would be so much nicer if they could provide a power close on the Frunk too... it would be nice to get it free as a part of the Technology bundle but I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind paying for it extra specially if it saves us from the dreaded damage to the hood; it is also begging to be an option for the after-market.

It reminds me of the initial Apple antenna gate fiasco where Steve Jobs said you're holding the phone wrong! We shouldn't have to worry about closing the Frunk wrong, just make it power close and let TM handle the the appropriate closing pressure points and the force.

+ 63,041 (I am certain that every owner before me has had some concern with the closing procedure of the Frunk)

I agree that having to think about and be concerned with closing a front hood on a car is pathetic for any car. We have a marvel of engineering in our $100k+++ Model S's, but have a low budget way to close and latch the Frunk, really?? Tesla please apply your engineering greatness to this do we can stop the churn on this topic.

Last edited: