Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I purchased a model x long range and I am getting much lesser km to actually drive than the rated range. Sometimes less than half.
When I spoke to Tesla, they were surprised by this deviation from range estimates but have not offered any concrete reason. My usage is around 285 Wh/km (450Wh/mile) which is not very high. They said rated range is determined at about 250.

So why am I loosing more than 2km on my battery for every 1 km actually driven. They said nothing is wrong with battery.

Is this concerning enough to return the car under the 7 day period or this is part of life??
Need to know today please. Thanks and appreciate any quick replies.

Without more info, it's impossible to reply intelligently. 450 Wh/mile is very high.

22" wheels? Hard driving? Stomping on brakes instead of letting regen work? Tires inflated properly? Regen turned off? All heaters full blast? My very first battery charge cycle I had atrocious energy consumption, but it resolved itself in a day or so. Left heating/AC for a long time while parked/dog mode? Have you had a full 100% charge yet to calibrate?

Is the battery really cold? Do the yellow warning ticks show up on the energy gauge? Lots of city driving, many short trips, lots of stopping for signals and stop signs?

First off, try to relax. Everything is probably OK. 450 wH per mile is pretty high but many drivers do experience it especially on short trips, when the weather is cold and/or windy and the roadbed is wet or covered with snow. Find the energy usage displays and monitor them in all your driving. Download the Stats app or TeslaFi and start keeping records. Don't draw conclusions from single drives, especially short ones (I've seen consumptions from -146 to over 700 Wh/mi).

• Helpful
Reactions: copyhacker
...this is part of life??...

Yes.

Your range is dependent on your driving style.

Usually, the first driving style in suspect is your tire size. The bigger the rim, the shorter the range. At least 20% shorter!

Then other factors:

Manual driving instead of Autopilot driving
Speed
Wind
Heater
A/C...

New York Times was able to prove that Tesla would die in the middle of the road trip due to poor range but others doing the same route also proved that they had no problem.

So, again, it's not the car, it's its owner!

20 inch wheels. Not hard driving as in not putting pedal to the metal. Regenerative braking is on. Tires are inflated properly. Heaters not full blast. 15degree centigrade outside.
Without more info, it's impossible to reply intelligently. 450 Wh/mile is very high. Short trips yes. City driving with lights yes.

22" wheels? Hard driving? Stomping on brakes instead of letting regen work? Tires inflated properly? Regen turned off? All heaters full blast? My very first battery charge cycle I had atrocious energy consumption, but it resolved itself in a day or so. Left heating/AC for a long time while parked/dog mode? Have you had a full 100% charge yet to calibrate?

Is the battery really cold? Do the yellow warning ticks show up on the energy gauge? Lots of city driving, many short trips, lots of stopping for signals and stop signs?

First off, try to relax. Everything is probably OK. 450 wH per mile is pretty high but many drivers do experience it especially on short trips, when the weather is cold and/or windy and the roadbed is wet or covered with snow. Find the energy usage displays and monitor them in all your driving. Download the Stats app or TeslaFi and start keeping records. Don't draw conclusions from single drives, especially short ones (I've seen consumptions from -146 to over 700 Wh/mi).

Thanks will get the apps suggested. And try to not return the vehicle.

Yes.

Your range is dependent on your driving style.

Usually, the first driving style in suspect is your tire size. The bigger the rim, the shorter the range. At least 20% shorter!

Then other factors:

Manual driving instead of Autopilot driving
Speed
Wind
Heater
A/C...

New York Times was able to prove that Tesla would die in the middle of the road trip due to poor range but others doing the same route also proved that they had no problem.

So, again, it's not the car, it's its owner!

Thanks for your tips.

The range of Model X Long Range is over-advertised by 9% if you have the 20" wheels and a lot more if you have the 22" wheels. Which wheels size do you have?

Do you have this kind of information: At X km/h speed, I consume Y km rated range to drive Z km.

Hey. Thanks for your reply. I have regular 20 inch wheels. And I have the kind of information u ask... I drive in the city so varying speeds and stops at traffic lights and bumper to bumper traffic. In instances documented... I am consuming 20km of battery to drive anywhere between 9 to 16 km.

Is that abnormally huge? Or normal? Please reply asap if possible. Thank you so much.

I find this table helpful: Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Generally, I have never achieved the range Tesla advertises in 75D Model S. I have the 20" wheels, and I am determined to one day figure out how to measure how much energy they "cost" because I suspect it's substantial. Disappointed Tesla doesn't offer a forged, lightweight wheel option. Depending on range-drain a more expensive wheel could actually pay itself off over time.

15degree centigrade outside.

15 isn't cold, but I have found that as it gets colder (and you're getting there) range absolutely decreases. If you're driving mostly short around-town trips then it's not going to get better. And, my area happens to be hilly and energy re-gen is not as "efficient" as energy spent driving so it's a double whammy for range.

If you're highway driving note that the velocity-to-drag relationship is not linear so the faster you go the worse range you'll achieve.

All that said I average ~350 Wh/mi on my MS which on a 75kwh pack (72.5 usable) I should get just over 200 miles which is obviously not close to the 260 I thought I was getting at sale.

Also, I log data myself (into google sheets) so I track my efficiency over time. The presentation here is ugly but it gets the point across.

Around 12,500mi (x-axis) I moved to a hilly place in the Fall and you can see my efficiency got really bad (relative to where it was before) and continued to get worse as temperature (pink line) fell. This Summer efficiency seems to level off around 350 Wh/mi (which is what I cited above).

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 4.55.33 PM.png

The Stats app show that I usually get about 110-120% of my rated miles, eg, my nominal 290-ish mile range is about 340 miles. I think averaged about 330 Wh/m over the last 15,000 miles. Stata is showing right now I'm at 127% on this recharge.

I set the buzzer on the car to stay below 82 mph. I am usually in the 90th percentile as for passing, ie, for every nine cars I pass, only one passes me.

For short trips now that it's cooler out that isn't too surprising a number - but it is quite a bit higher than rated consumption.

You might want to try driving for an hour or two at moderate highway speeds (~100 kph) and seeing what the consumption looks like for that trip. With a LR Raven it should probably get down below 200 Wh/km if you aren't driving into the wind, up hill, or in inclement weather at those sorts of speeds on longer trips.

Consumption around town looks ugly, but it's mostly to warm/cool the cabin and battery - and it still translates to trivial amounts and costs of electricity on those short trips.

My usage is around 285 Wh/km (450Wh/mile) which is not very high.

As everyone says 450Wh/mile is really high, especially for a 'Raven'

Our non Raven X is currently showing 360Wh/mile for the last 1K miles, this is with European winter coming, this morning the temperature is 5 degrees C or 41 F.

If your seeing 450Wh/mile now, your consumption when winter really comes is going to be insane - with an equally insane drop in range.

The consumption numbers in the trips display don't appear to reflect consumption only driving - it also appears to include energy consumed while the vehicle is parked, even when it is being charged. If only using the trips display to determine energy consumption, those numbers will typically be much higher than actual driving consumption, especially for short trips.

A better number to use is the average energy usage on the energy display (I usually have our S & X set for 5 mile averaging), once you've been driving for longer than the distance set for averaging.

Our 2012 S P85 got considerably less than the rated range at highway speeds. Our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D get closer, though we'll usually get 90% of the rated range, if we're going to be driving at (or slightly above) posted highway speeds.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
The consumption numbers in the trips display don't appear to reflect consumption only driving - it also appears to include energy consumed while the vehicle is parked, even when it is being charged. If only using the trips display to determine energy consumption, those numbers will typically be much higher than actual driving consumption, especially for short trips.
Those displays show the energy used when the vehicle is in drive (and I guess, reverse) but not when in idle or sleep modes. Power consumed in those modes (phantom drain, the heater if you leave climate on, pre-warm, listening to the radio while parked...) all come off the battery SoC, of course, but not the trip OD's.

That said there is what I have come to call the "departure tax". Start a drive and watch the wH/mi display for the first few tenths of a mile. I've seen numbers over 4000. Leading me to believe that some non - driving loads were counted. But I've also seen much smaller numbers. No experiment I have ever done could correlate those first few numbers with anything I did with an electrical load in any mode other than drive. And the glitches average down fast. Nevertheless, Wh/mi for short trips are almost always higher than they are for longer trips.

Reactions: ABC2D