Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

URGENT: if were plugged into a wall outlet with 0% can we can make it 3 miles after charging an hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we were driving and I wasn’t paying attention to the temperature. Originally we were scheduled to get to our supercharger destination with 5% battery but it has slowly decreased down to 6 degrees and I think that has affected the battery charge. We were about 2 miles away when suddenly the car said we wouldn’t make it to the supercharger end showed a blue snowflake next to the battery.

If were plugged into a wall outlet for 1 hour should we expect to be able to drive the last 2 miles to the supercharger even with the blue snowflake icon? I don’t want to sit in a freezing car all night trying to charge up a few percent but I’m nervous to risk driving 2 miles with the blue snowflake. Idk if that means we wouldn’t actually get 3 miles of charge after 1 hour on a 110/120v charger?

So we were driving and I wasn’t paying attention to the temperature. Originally we were scheduled to get to our supercharger destination with 5% battery but it has slowly decreased down to 6 degrees and I think that has affected the battery charge. We were about 2 miles away when suddenly the car said we wouldn’t make it to the supercharger end showed a blue snowflake next to the battery.

If were plugged into a wall outlet for 1 hour should we expect to be able to drive the last 2 miles to the supercharger even with the blue snowflake icon? I don’t want to sit in a freezing car all night trying to charge up a few percent but I’m nervous to risk driving 2 miles with the blue snowflake. Idk if that means we wouldn’t actually get 3 miles of charge after 1 hour on a 110/120v charger?
Depending upon how cold it is, plugging in to 120V outlet might only allow your range to stay constant vs losing more if not plugged in even while not moving. Sadly, using heat while in the car, even with Model Y heatpump, will make matters worse. Isn’t there any place you can wait indoors while charging? Charging indoors would be better yet but probably not an option. If things get worse and it’s ready to shutdown, put it into tow mode as quick as you can. A tow sounds like the best of bad options at this point.

In the future, I'd also look for level 2 J1772 EVSEs and Destination Charging | Tesla via the Plugshare app.

Assuming the J1772 EVSEs are working (check site rating and look for recent check-ins), most public level 2 J1772 charging is 30 amps and often only 208 volts, but 208 volts * 30 amps = 6240 watts = 6.24 kW. That's a LOT faster than 120 volt * 12 amp charging = 1440 watts = 1.44 kW.

Last edited:
According to scanmytesla, I have a 3.2 kWh energy buffer. Driving gently, that should allow ~13 miles after the car reports 0%. I don't plan on testing this though.

I wouldn't put that to the test unless it really was an emergency. This an anecdote about a 2015 Model, but mine actually shut down on me with 3 miles still left on the range. It's posted on here somewhere..

This is an amusing video where some folks tested a half dozen EVs and ran them until they stopped dead. All had some range left after the battery percentage displayed 0. The M3 LR went a bit more than 8 miles after the screen said 0 miles remaining. I would expect the Y to be capable of something similar.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung