Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

URGENT: Need Help! - Drivetrain-Shut down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to ask if any of you had any kind of similar experience such as I had tonight. I was driving my car on a road and I heard a huge *BANG* and a ton of vibration from the back then lost all power to the wheels. The car still read normally, and when i put my foot on the accelerator, the orange part on the speedometer was showing this increased throttle, but i was not accelerating at all. I was able to coast safely into a parking lot after about 25ft. I then tried putting the car into park from drive, but the car would not shift, but then i put it into neutral and then put the parking brake on which held the car in place (i was on an incline). I just wanted to say at how happy I am, considereing the car might have just saved me from something much worse.
I promptly called Tesla Roadside Assistance, at about 8:15 pm EST, and was greeted by a wonderful rep who was able to help me see what was wrong with the car, and who was able to get me a tow very quickly. I couldn't have imagined this happening in a better way.
When I was waiting for the tow, I tried seeing what the bang sound was along with the vibration, so I got into the car, put my left foot on the brake, car into drive, and then pressed the accelerator pedal, to only find that the vibration happened along with a sound and feel as if the car's motor was disconnected from the actual wheels. After this I put the car back into neutral with the parking brake and then waited.
I would just like to thank Tesla for helping me out so much by getting a tow to me quickly and able to get my car to a dealer as soon as possible.
Feel free to ask any questions that I may not have already answered. But please tell me if this sounds familiar so I can start to understand what exactly happened.

BTW: idk if this matters but, just in case it was a P85 with the 21inch.

THANKS TESLA!!!!

Mods feel free to put this in the appropriate place.

Last edited:
Dunno what the wire is. But what you described sounds a lot like something that a few others have experienced. (Handful of others maybe.) It was drive train failure of some sort as I recall.

Sorry to hear of the issue and hope they get you back in your MS soon!