TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

URGENT: Need Help! - Drivetrain-Shut down

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by NJ_EV, Nov 15, 2013.

1. NJ_EV

NJ_EV Member

Jan 6, 2013
    New Jersey
    #1 NJ_EV, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Hey Guys!

I just wanted to ask if any of you had any kind of similar experience such as I had tonight. I was driving my car on a road and I heard a huge *BANG* and a ton of vibration from the back then lost all power to the wheels. The car still read normally, and when i put my foot on the accelerator, the orange part on the speedometer was showing this increased throttle, but i was not accelerating at all. I was able to coast safely into a parking lot after about 25ft. I then tried putting the car into park from drive, but the car would not shift, but then i put it into neutral and then put the parking brake on which held the car in place (i was on an incline). I just wanted to say at how happy I am, considereing the car might have just saved me from something much worse.
    I promptly called Tesla Roadside Assistance, at about 8:15 pm EST, and was greeted by a wonderful rep who was able to help me see what was wrong with the car, and who was able to get me a tow very quickly. I couldn't have imagined this happening in a better way.
    When I was waiting for the tow, I tried seeing what the bang sound was along with the vibration, so I got into the car, put my left foot on the brake, car into drive, and then pressed the accelerator pedal, to only find that the vibration happened along with a sound and feel as if the car's motor was disconnected from the actual wheels. After this I put the car back into neutral with the parking brake and then waited.
    I would just like to thank Tesla for helping me out so much by getting a tow to me quickly and able to get my car to a dealer as soon as possible.
    Feel free to ask any questions that I may not have already answered. But please tell me if this sounds familiar so I can start to understand what exactly happened.

BTW: idk if this matters but, just in case it was a P85 with the 21inch.

Mods feel free to put this in the appropriate place.
  2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Apr 20, 2012
    Rocklin, CA
    That certainly doesn't look like something that came from the car. Looks more like something that fell off an industrial air conditioner.

Would be curious what it is if it fell off the car.
  3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Mar 16, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Dunno what the wire is. But what you described sounds a lot like something that a few others have experienced. (Handful of others maybe.) It was drive train failure of some sort as I recall.

Sorry to hear of the issue and hope they get you back in your MS soon!
  4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Apr 2, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Your symptoms sound more like the gearbox or axle snapped. Nothing to do with wires.