Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urgent, Neither handle working (interior/exterior), I screwed up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for suggestions on how to get my 2015 Tesla Model S door latch to release and allow the door to open. Neither the interior or exterior door handle are working.

Background: Front passenger door handle was not presenting. It's motor was running continuously anytime the car had power. I know this is an easy fix so I proceed to take the door apart. Then the toddlers' meltdowns begin and things get sideways.

What happened: Interior door panel off, handle pull wire removed from the door. Panel still attached to the frame with the factory rivet and strap.

Then... kids are going crazy so I decide.. I'll just disconnect the door control module to get the handle motor to stop spinning. Check. Then I'll hang the door panel on the top edge of the door and close it 90%, leave it ajar. Somehow the door closes completely.

Passenger side front and rear door handles won't present now or open either door. Interior door handles also don't work in the front or back. The front handle is mechanically disconnected. The back I'm guessing is just remaining locked because the door control module in the front was disconnected. The windows also won't roll down.

Door panel is basically stuck in place. I have been trying to wedge it back from the frame far enough to reach the latch wire but I haven't been able to make it work yet. My only other option seems to be cutting the riveted strap or otherwise damaging the door panel.

Unless someone knows another way to release the latch on a Tesla door...

Hope you figured this out by now, but there is a mechanical emergency latch. See this video:
This doesn't apply to OP's issue. These releases are only for the rear doors, the front doors have the manual release in the handle mechanism, you just pull it further than normal. Without the exterior handle switches connected, and no pull cable connected to the interior handle, there is no way to open the door. Best bet is probably to use a claw grabber to fish the manual release cable out from one of the loose edges of the door panel and yank on it.

This doesn't apply to OP's issue. These releases are only for the rear doors, the front doors have the manual release in the handle mechanism, you just pull it further than normal. Without the exterior handle switches connected, and no pull cable connected to the interior handle, there is no way to open the door. Best bet is probably to use a claw grabber to fish the manual release cable out from one of the loose edges of the door panel and yank on it.
They did say "Interior door handles also don't work in the front or back." And still, always good to know a way to get of a car if you are stuck inside, even if it means crawling to the back.