Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

URGENT QUESTION

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KOL2000

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2013
San Diego
Hi Folks - Wife had another flat tire near my house in the X and there are no loaner tires available.

CAN I USE A 19 INCH MODEL S SPARE TIRE as a QUICK TEMPORARY FIX TO GET HOME IN AN X?

Will it fit? Thats my only question!! Cant find answer anywhere and Tesla service doesn't know!!!!!

I wouldn't, they are different outer diameters. And I am not sure what that would do to the suspension. It might work due to the air suspension. On the Tesla store the 19" winter tires have a 50 profile and the model s tires have a 45 profile for the side wall.

I was reading that the car has an open differential and it would probably just eat up the smaller tire. A limited slip would stress out the clutch in the differential.

It might be a good idea to take some air out of the larger tire. Better yet, put it in on the rear axle and keep the car in range mode so it favors the front motor. But it might not make much difference.

If you are familiar with the little spare donut tires they put in most American cars, you will realize that a smaller tire used as a spare hardly affects anything. I've seen people drive on them until they wear out, simply because they felt too poor or lazy to buy a new tire. Didn't affect the car other than obviously, traction, cornering, and maybe speed if it was taken from tire rotation rate.

It works.

Attachments

• EBA68667-13A3-43B5-A307-7B7F94C15A90.jpeg
    EBA68667-13A3-43B5-A307-7B7F94C15A90.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 112
Traction control and regen is disabled. It does NOT like this tire but runs just fine. Will be enough to limp to the service center tomorrow and drop off kids.

Consider this your public service notice that 19 inch Model S wheels are viable spare tires for short distances. Something that is not googlable or even found out from 1800 roadside #.

My quick search from the internet came up with a couple things. It is a much bigger deal with a limited slip differential than an open differential like the one found on teslas. With the limited slip wheels of different sizes would put extra wear on the clutch within the differential as it tries to spin the larger wheel to more closely match the smaller wheel.

Teslas simulate a limited slip by using the brakes, so long term the car would probably have premature wear on the brakes for the larger wheel that is on the same axle.

Weight wise it is probably close enough I can't imagine the weight rating on the rims is so exact that the extra couple hundred pounds would make a large difference. The gross vehicle weight on the S is 5,732 to 5,997 lbs and an unloaded p100d model x is 5531 lbs, so as long as you are not towing anything the rim is within it's weight rating.

Any idea if this would work with 19" MS Slipstreams, specifically? I'm trying to figure out if 19" MS slipstreams will function properly as a full-time snow-tire solution (with MX-adjusted tire profiles of course), similar to the Tesla-issue 19" Cyclone/Scorpion package?

@KOL2000 I noticed you used the split-spoke MS wheel successfully, and @omarsultan heard from local SC that 19" wheels should work, but I've seen my MS slipstreams have tiny clearance to the lower control arm bracket on my MS75D (knocked off some misplaced wheel weights due this clearance).

Thanks for your advice!

I had asked my SvC about doing something similar--I have snow tires on the 19" wheels from my Model S--wanted to put them on our X for a quick trip to Lake Tahoe. They said no problem for a short term solution other the speedo being off.

Really? They said it's ok? Model S rims are not load rated for the X. I'm surprised that a service centre would say it's ok. For a few miles in emergency situation like OP mentioned maybe..... But for actual going somewherd let's do a trip I don't think that cerv8ce centre was correct in telling you that. Yes it fits but is it safe? Not too sure, no from what I have read I to it.

Any idea if this would work with 19" MS Slipstreams, specifically? I'm trying to figure out if 19" MS slipstreams will function properly as a full-time snow-tire solution (with MX-adjusted tire profiles of course), similar to the Tesla-issue 19" Cyclone/Scorpion package?

@KOL2000 I noticed you used the split-spoke MS wheel successfully, and @omarsultan heard from local SC that 19" wheels should work, but I've seen my MS slipstreams have tiny clearance to the lower control arm bracket on my MS75D (knocked off some misplaced wheel weights due this clearance).

Thanks for your advice!

I would not do this, it's been mentioned before many times. Model S rims are not load rated for the X. It's not safe, yes it fits but don't risk your safety to save 1k on rims. You are after all driving a 100k+ car

I'm really surprised service centres are telling people this.

Tsportline sells nice rims and they are a vendor on the forums. There is currently a sale they are hosting plus my referral for more savings
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

Don't risk yourself or your family to save money, it's not worth it

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteski and Bogobec
I would not do this, it's been mentioned before many times. Model S rims are not load rated for the X. It's not safe, yes it fits but don't risk your safety to save 1k on rims. You are after all driving a 100k+ car

I'm really surprised service centres are telling people this.

Tsportline sells nice rims and they are a vendor on the forums. There is currently a sale they are hosting plus my referral for more savings
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

Don't risk yourself or your family to save money, it's not worth it

I've been using 5 Model S Slipstreams with Michelin Premier LTX 245/55R19 tires on our 5 seat Model X for over 22,000 miles. The wheels actually appear stronger than the 20's as the wheel hub is thicker. I use the 5th wheel and tire as a spare and rotate all 5 every 5,000 miles. Had one flat on an interstate trip and was able to change it and was back on the road in 15 minutes. Tires are quieter, ride better, are long lasting, and I get over 300 miles range on the interstate at 75MPH. Even the service center couldn't tell the difference until I pointed it out to them.

Attachments

• IMG_4153.JPG
    IMG_4153.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 43
I've been using 5 Model S Slipstreams with Michelin Premier LTX 245/55R19 tires on our 5 seat Model X for over 22,000 miles. The wheels actually appear stronger than the 20's as the wheel hub is thicker. I use the 5th wheel and tire as a spare and rotate all 5 every 5,000 miles. Had one flat on an interstate trip and was able to change it and was back on the road in 15 minutes. Tires are quieter, ride better, are long lasting, and I get over 300 miles range on the interstate at 75MPH. Even the service center couldn't tell the difference until I pointed it out to them.

Ok but, if something was to happen and there is damage that happened because of the rims Tesla has a legal right to deny any warranty claims. Just saying

True, but I think the higher profile Michelin are a safer tire and I got no grief from the SC when I showed the tires to them. So to each his own.

It's not the tire that's the issue, it's the rim.
I've been a member of a few tuner forums and have seen what happens when rims snap in half under stress and load. Im sure Tesla's rims are a better quality but it's not cool when it happens. Not worth it in my opinion. Maybe it's no big deal and Tesla was just being overly cautious when they stated they are not load rated for the X. They mentioned it when the erachnids were first released. There's someone on here with it on his X looks greatthough I have to admit. It's tempting

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec