TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

[Urgent] Spontaneous Suspension Failure + Lack Of Tesla Support

Discussion in 'Model S' started by EnumC, Sep 2, 2017.

1. EnumC

EnumC Member

Hi everyone! Does anyone have any experience with Tesla repairs? We were driving on the freeway when our model S suddenly started swerving after an initial loud sound. There's nothing on the road, and we had to drive the vehicle off the freeway without hitting other vehicles. Luckily, no one got hurt, but we rolled off the side of the freeway onto an exit ramp. The local repair shop that highway patrol tolled to informed us that this is a suspension failure. We were driving at around 60mph when this happened. We contacted Tesla support, who said they will take a look at the issue, but they are still trying to evade talking to us about the exact issue after a month with no updates. They informed us they have "escalated" the issue over a week ago, but no updates at all. Could we get some suggestions on what we should do from fellow Tesla owners? I am completely lost at this point.

The wheel seems to have caved in:
    01.jpg

05.jpg

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      138.1 KB
      Views:
  2. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

When was the car built & how many miles on it? This happened about a month ago?

3. EnumC

EnumC Member

Around a month ago. We picked up the car at Dec 31, 2014. Tesla app shows 19,870 miles.

• Helpful x 1
  4. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Please keep us posted...is this the first report of rear suspension failure?

5. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Is your car currently at a Tesla Approved Body Shop? If so, you can go here for help: Body Shop Support

You can also go into your account in My Tesla, Support, and look to escalate a concern for executive review.

• Like x 1
  6. EnumC

EnumC Member

Did that 3 days ago. No response. We first tolled it to Chilton Auto Body, but Tesla Fremont tolled it to their body shop a few days later.

7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Is Tesla taking care of this or are you paying for it?

8. number12

number12 Active Member

Sell TSLA, jk

Sorry if this was mentioned... but does Tesla have your car? Did you get a tesla loaner?

9. EnumC

EnumC Member

They want us to pay in full. When we asked them what the progress of the "escalation" is, they stopped replying.

10. EnumC

EnumC Member

Yes. At their Fremont center. They refused to give us a rental car at the beginning, so we paid $700 for a couple weeks of rental out of pocket. They just gave us a rental 3 days ago after numerous calls.

11. Tam

Tam Active Member

Shouldn't your car be in a Tesla Service Center?

12. EnumC

EnumC Member

Tesla tolled it to Fremont a couple days later.

13. Tam

Tam Active Member

So let me understand.

Your car is in Tesla Service Center-Fremont.

And the hold up is: Who pays for the repair?

14. EnumC

EnumC Member

They also sent us this form asking us to sign it.
    Yes. That's the thing right. The car suddenly lost control, and the wheel caved in. The insurance informed us that we are not responsible since it seems to be a manufacturer problem, and others recommended us to contact Tesla and see if we can get something worked out. But every time we call, they get edgy and keep saying they are "investigating". At the same time, they sent us an email with an insurance form. The fine prints says: "
    I am responsible for all repair charges incurred, including any insurance company deductible payments,
    betterments, and any costs associated with collection of unpaid amounts. I further acknowledge that I am
    responsible for full payment if anyone making payments on my behalf fail to make such payments". So we haven't signed it yet.

• Love x 1
  15. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

How many times have you had the car in for service previously?

Less than 20K miles driven in almost 3 years? Do you not like driving the car?

I just had half shafts replaced at 19K miles after 5 months - the symptom was a shudder upon acceleration.

Why isn't yours a simple repair (for whatever occurred) under the 4-year, 50,0000 mile warranty?

16. EnumC

EnumC Member

We mainly use it to commute to work. Only drove it long distance a couple times. Tesla is trying to redirect responsibility, and kept stalling. So I don't really know what to do.

17. EnumC

EnumC Member

As for how many times it's been serviced, we did it only 2-3 months ago when another car rear-ended us.

18. Tam

Tam Active Member

You didn't clarify your car's warranty status: Is it under 50,000 miles and 4 years?

19. EnumC

EnumC Member

"We picked up the car at Dec 31, 2014. Tesla app shows 19,870 miles."

20. Tam

Tam Active Member

I picked my Model S car up in 2012 and it showed 15 miles then, but today, 2017 it shows more than 91,000 miles.

You didn't clarify your car's warranty status: Is it under 50,000 miles and 4 years as of August, 2017?