Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Urgent] Spontaneous Suspension Failure + Lack Of Tesla Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked my car up in 2012 Model and it showed 15 miles then, but today, 2017 it shows more than 91,000 miles.

You didn't clarify your car's warranty status: Is it under 50,000 miles and 4 years as of August, 2017?
I was quoting one of my replies. 19,870mi < 50,000mi. Dec 31, 2014 to August, 2017 is < 5 years. So It should still be within manufacturer warranty.

They also sent us this form asking us to sign it.

What form did they ask you to sign? Was it an NDA for them "goodwilling" the cost of the repair?

New As for how many times it's been serviced, we did it only 2-3 months ago when another car rear-ended us.

How bad was the rear ending? I wonder if maybe there was suspension damage that wasn't detected and could have contributed to this problem.

Have you submitted an "escalation" request via your MyTesla account? (Not to the Body Shop Support group.)

@EnumC, sorry to see this. You should definitely be treated better by Tesla; it appears that they don't want to commit, yet, to repairing it under warranty without ruling out possible damage somehow by you, the operator. Hold your ground and don't end up holding the bag with your insurance carrier. As suggested, please escalate, again, and reach out to JonMc. The theory about possible undiagnosed damage from the prior rear-ending could be a valid one; that should be on Tesla too as they inspected and serviced the car according to you.

What form did they ask you to sign? Was it an NDA for them "goodwilling" the cost of the repair?

How bad was the rear ending? I wonder if maybe there was suspension damage that wasn't detected and could have contributed to this problem.

Have you submitted an "escalation" request via your MyTesla account? (Not to the Body Shop Support group.)
Yes. I did it 3 days ago with no reply so far. It wasn't bad, just a small bump, and was repaired at Chilton Auto Body. Also, I believe the form is just one of those "standard" insurance form.

Picture of the bump from 3 months ago:
20170515_130347.jpg

I was quoting one of my replies. 19,870mi < 50,000mi. Dec 31, 2014 to August, 2017 is < 5 years. So It should still be within manufacturer warranty.

Sorry! Now I understand.

1) Your right rear suspension spontaneous broke
2) It should be covered under your warranty because it's only 19,870 miles and just slightly over 2 years old.
3) Tesla does not automatically honor the warranty because it may want to link this incidence with a prior minor collision.

I am sorry that this happens to you.

Hope this will be resolve soon.

Sorry! Now I understand.

1) Your right rear suspension spontaneous broke
2) It should be covered under your warranty because it's only 19,870 miles and just slightly over 2 years old.
3) Tesla does not automatically honor the warranty because it may want to link this incidence with a prior minor collision.

I am sorry that this happens to you.

Hope this will be resolve soon.
But that previous collision was repaired at one of their "Tesla Authorized Repair Shop". Wouldn't I retain the manufacture warranty in that case?

..."Tesla Authorized Repair Shop"...

The warranty does not cover collision. Your insurance does.

If the bodyshop didn't repair the prior collision completely, it's still collision related and not covered under warranty.

So there are now 3 choices:

1) Tesla pays because of warranty
2) Your insurance pays because of linkage to prior minor accident
3) You pay without waiting for the above 2.

The warranty does not cover collision. Your insurance does.

If the bodyshop didn't repair the prior collision completely, it's still collision related and not covered under warranty.

So there are now 3 choices:

1) Tesla pays because of warranty
2) Your insurance pays because of linkage to prior minor accident
3) You pay without waiting for the above 2.
The previous body shop inspected and completed the repair. They also sent some parts to Tesla for verification, and all of them passed. The real question is how I am responsible for a problem I did not cause. Even the previous accident was covered by the other person's insurance as we are not at fault. If I hear "Tesla Approved Bodyshop" and recommended by Tesla roadside assistance, I would assume they would do a good job at actually repairing a small bump.

Reactions: xborg
I picked my Model S car up in 2012 and it showed 15 miles then, but today, 2017 it shows more than 91,000 miles.

You didn't clarify your car's warranty status: Is it under 50,000 miles and 4 years as of August, 2017?
OP is saying that he picked up the car on December 31, 2014, so it is less than 4 years, he further states that his Tesla App shows 19,870 miles which is less than 50,000 miles. So what is your question?

OP is saying that he picked up the car on December 31, 2014, so it is less than 4 years, he further states that his Tesla App shows 19,870 miles which is less than 50,000 miles. So what is your question?

I was really slow. I misunderstood the mileage was current as of 2014. I now understood thanks to your explainations.

We picked up the car at Dec 31, 2014. Tesla app shows 19,870 miles.
They want us to pay in full. When we asked them what the progress of the "escalation" is, they stopped replying.
If your car is less than 4 years old and has a total of 19,870 miles, and assuming that you did not buy it used with a salvage title, than I would think your car is under the factory warranty.

The only reason I can imagine that Tesla would not cover the damage you describe is if it was due to an accident, such as you hit another car or you drove off the road or hit something and that caused the damage.

Have you been to the Tesla Service Center where your car is and spoken to the service manager directly?

If your car is less than 4 years old and has a total of 19,870 miles, and assuming that you did not buy it used with a salvage title, than I would think your car is under the factory warranty.

The only reason I can imagine that Tesla would not cover the damage you describe is if it was due to an accident, such as you hit another car or you drove off the road or hit something and that caused the damage.

Have you been to the Tesla Service Center where your car is and spoken to the service manager directly?
We talked to their center's manager via phone, who eventually gave us a loner after calling back a couple days ago. No updates since then except for their email from 3 days ago asking us to sign the "Repair Authorization" so they can get their money from our insurance and we would be "responsible for all repair charges incurred, including any insurance company deductible payments, betterments, and any costs associated with collection of unpaid amounts". Their Fremont center is a bit far away, but we are thinking of paying them a visit.

They also sent us this form asking us to sign it.

Yes. That's the thing right. The car suddenly lost control, and the wheel caved in. The insurance informed us that we are not responsible since it seems to be a manufacturer problem, and others recommended us to contact Tesla and see if we can get something worked out. But every time we call, they get edgy and keep saying they are "investigating".

So, your insurance says it isn't a claim since it wasn't due to damage, but Tesla still wants you to pay.

That is a tough situation. I think I would show up where my car was in person and have them physically show me exactly what was damaged and why they think it is not a warranty issue. Take photos.

If they insist there is evidence of collision damage, then I would probably file the insurance claim and let my insurance company duke it out with Tesla. Also, you are entitled to all removed parts if it is not a warranty repair, so I would insist on getting all of those as well. Then you might be able to have the failed part analyzed yourself to see if it was impact damage or some other cause.

So, your insurance says it isn't a claim since it wasn't due to damage, but Tesla still wants you to pay.

That is a tough situation. I think I would show up where my car was in person and have them physically show me exactly what was damaged and why they think it is not a warranty issue. Take photos.

If they insist there is evidence of collision damage, then I would probably file the insurance claim and let my insurance company duke it out with Tesla. Also, you are entitled to all removed parts if it is not a warranty repair, so I would insist on getting all of those as well. Then you might be able to have the failed part analyzed yourself to see if it was impact damage or some other cause.
Well, the insurance company eventually agreed to pay after we pay a $1000 deductible and 60% cost of the tires. They suggested we contact Tesla since if they pay, it would record as a 'collision history', which will cause our insurance premium to skyrocket.