Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Urgent] Tesla refusing to share Fremont dispatch bill. Can anyone help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in Turkey the government just put 60% import tariff on American automobiles because to Trump craze. Even though Tesla's final assembly is in the Netherlands (free trade zone for Turkey) due to its American parts of origin it is subject to that tax. However since the tariff is just put into place goods that were shipped from USA before June 21st are not subject to this huge 60% import tax.

And we know our car were shipped from Fremont before June 21st however our customs need proof of that. Yet, Tesla is refusing to share this simple document. (dispatch bill, cargo bill etc. any sort of proof that the car was sent from USA before June 21st) Could anyone in this forum help us about this? Anyone know people from higer ranks in Europe Tesla? As you would appreciate this makes a huge difference. 60% import tariff means the car will be around 100% more expensive than we budgeted for after VAT and all. We might have to give the car back even... Please any help is appreciated. It makes no sense that Tesla would keep this simple document from us.

Tesla wont, because if the car was imported as a kit with final assembly in NL, then the transaction was an intercompany transaction between Tesla US and Tesla EU. Tesla EU would then have sold the car to you - check your Final Invoice for the company address to make sure it is not Freemont (my invoice is from their UK registered company).

As Tesla do not have a Turkish office, I guess they billed you out of the NL office? If so, I would expect a country of origin and commodity code to be printed on the invoice. The country of origin should say "NL", which would help you.

Several things spring to mind:

1. Telsa use the NL assembly process because a lower import duty is applied to kits.
2. Tariffs are applied at the point of importation, so Tesla EU would have had to pay the EU tariff for car kits.
3. The car was assembled in NL, so should be in the free trade zone when it was supplied to you.

The tricky thing is whether or not Turkey have decided to specifically exclude cars that are assembled in the EU from US components from their free trade agreement with the EU. I am not sure they can do that, but don't know the full details of their membership.

Where did you/will you collect the car?

• Informative
Reactions: MarkX100D and .jg.