Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urgent: X90D to X100D order change problem, help needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I was assured by email from the local Tesla manager that I could order a X90D in 12/2016 and upgrade to an X100D if that model was available before my car was built. Now that it has come down to it, Tesla has reneged on their advice. What would you guys do? Time is wasting, we have to do something. Should we cancel our order?

Here is our story...

Although what we really wanted was a long range X100D, free supercharging for trips and folding second row seats, in 2016 we finally ordered an X90D relying on the St. Louis Tesla Manager's assertions that, if X100Ds became available before our car was built we could upgrade and keep our original order and free supercharging, because Tesla's business practice was to allow modifications to orders after finalization but before manufacturing began.

By email 12/07/2016, I asked him "If the X100D comes out after we ordered.... But before our order gets built, can we switch? Do not need the speed, need the range." In his 12/14/2016 email reply to my question, he wrote, "if the factory could accommodate, yes."

So, we placed our order on 12/17/2016, believing that if the X100D came out before our car went to production we could upgrade and keep free supercharging. We were so excited!

As soon as the X100D came out, I drove down to his office ready to upgrade our order to an X100D and he told me that if we upgraded our order we would loose free supercharging because our order would be moved into a different "price book". I was stunned. He said that the "price book" had never worked this way before and that he was truthful when he spoke in December but that now his hands were tied by a new set of rules. He suggested that we call Fremont, which we did. He is a good guy.

So, now we are in a real pickle about what to do next and that "just seems wrong".

Due to constant innovation Tesla's internal business practices may change pretty often based on your recent tweets. Somehow those transitions need to be set up to make sure that new "price book" rules don't make for unpleasant customer surprises. As a customer, why should I have to worry about what a "price book" is?

We hope that you can make it possible for us to keep our place in line, keep free supercharging and modify our order to get the X100D as the Tesla manager promised.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Hey, I was assured by email from the local Tesla manager that I could order a X90D in 12/2016 and upgrade to an X100D if that model was available before my car was built. Now that it has come down to it, Tesla has reneged on their advice. What would you guys do? Time is wasting, we have to do something. Should we cancel our order?

Here is our story...

Although what we really wanted was a long range X100D, free supercharging for trips and folding second row seats, in 2016 we finally ordered an X90D relying on the St. Louis Tesla Manager's assertions that, if X100Ds became available before our car was built we could upgrade and keep our original order and free supercharging, because Tesla's business practice was to allow modifications to orders after finalization but before manufacturing began.

By email 12/07/2016, I asked him "If the X100D comes out after we ordered.... But before our order gets built, can we switch? Do not need the speed, need the range." In his 12/14/2016 email reply to my question, he wrote, "if the factory could accommodate, yes."

So, we placed our order on 12/17/2016, believing that if the X100D came out before our car went to production we could upgrade and keep free supercharging. We were so excited!

As soon I knew that the X100D came out, I drove down to the Tesla manager's office ready to upgrade our order to an X100D and he told me that if we upgraded our order we would lose free supercharging because our order would be moved into a different "price book". I was stunned. He said that the "price book" had never worked this way before and that he was truthful when he spoke in December but that now his hands were tied by a new set of rules. He suggested that we call Fremont, which we did. He is a good guy.

So, now we are in a real pickle about what to do next and that "just seems wrong".

Due to constant innovation Tesla's internal business practices may change pretty often based on Elon's recent tweets. Somehow those transitions need to be set up to make sure that new "price book" rules don't make for unpleasant customer surprises. As a customer, why should I have to worry about what a "price book" is?

We hope that Tesla can make it possible for us to keep our place in line, keep free supercharging and modify our order to get the X100D as the Tesla manager promised.

..."if the factory could accommodate, yes."...

With your written documentation: Accommodate means to "fit in with the wishes or needs of."

That is just too generic that you can drive a truck through it.

Tesla can accommodate your switch and your desires all for a price and a loss of free Supercharger of course.

You can complain and go through a legal process but the chance of getting that written documentation or verbal contract for your advantage is not very good.

Thus, now, the only practical solutions are:

1) Cancel the whole thing.
2) Proceed with X90D free Supercharging as before.
3) Pay more for X100D and the loss of free Supercharging.

I would pick #3 because extra range is more convenient and well worth the extra cost.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Many of us are in the same boat. I was also promised that FUSC would stay, based on order date. Have you tried tweeting Mr. Musk, or contacting Fremont to voice your concerns? I hope the policy will be changed, so that the promised made to us are kept.

Reactions: TaoJones
...I was also promised that FUSC would stay, based on order date..

I could understand your point if that is a same order, same VIN such as you when you wanted to change the paint color...

However, your change of option from X90D to X100D now becomes a change in VIN so it is hard to claim that is a same order (or date).

Last edited:
It is my understanding from the many verbal and email discussions with our local store manager that it was common place until when the X100D option was added to the Tesla site, changing some thing that you do not see called the price book, but is vital the computerized order system you could change battery, color, anything for the change fee plus or minus the difference and still keep your original order. Your place in line and I believ your VIN stayed the same.

The VIN was not specifically tied to battery size, before, if I my understanding is right. The VIN stayed with your original or modified order for your vehicle. So if you ordered an X75D and upgraded to an X90D, the change cost in the past would be the change fee, say $500.00, plus the difference in the price from the X75 to the X90, but the vehicle identification number stayed the same.

But now, with the end of free supercharging any change.... Means your order will be canceled and a new order will be created under the new set of internal rules in the "price book". Seriously, that is way harsh.

I did more than one email exchange with the store manager about details of the transaction, before coming into the store and ordering in late December. Because we are retired and this is a huge transaction for us...I asked every question about how flexible the process might be. In my mind this is last car purchase of our lives and a huge splurge. We were so excited.

We even got Tesla email assurances that if we wanted to upgrade the battery of our vehicle years from now to the 100 or even higher, that we could count on that, too. Now we are told that a battery upgrade down the road will be impossible, too

(We have friends up north in St. Paul and Billings, MN .... wanted to have the X100D from the very beginning, for snowy, rural highways traveling up north, yes in Winter).

We did our homework, we asked every question we could think of, we got our questions and answers in writing, and now... It feels like we just need Elon to look into this. Like he is not overworked enough! Hate this so much.

It's crazy, we took out a second on the house.... But it seemed Like it was worth it to have such a nice car and such a hassle free transaction. Nice beginning to our old age, you know?

Now we feel stressed, and think that "it's just wrong. We were also looking to get the Tesla French Slate roof eventually, with the second mortgage too. Maybe that transaction will be disappointing too.

I think the store manager was being truthful when he emailed me. He was telling me what he knew to be true.

It's like we were all blindsided with new price book rules. Maybe the original idea was that the X100D would not go into production this early? We were willing to take the chance that the X100D might come along before our order was built and we could truly get exactly what we wanted. When the X100D became available early enough for us and the $3000. price for the upgrade fit our budget for the loan... We felt so lucky!

We did our homework, we accepted taking on the risk of more debt and then the sky opened up and we got the better battery that we could afford, we were helping the climate, we were going to have fun and have the car we wanted and free supercharging.

Dunno, but it is really bringing me down. Wanted to help fight the climate crisis, especially after this crazy election, felt compelled to do a good thing, and that combined with the end of free supercharging, we just had to pull the trigger, and hope against all hope that the X100D would come out early enough before our car was in line to be built.

It's all so disappointing. I can't believe that Elon approved of this business move. It doesn't sound like him. Just want what we were told we could have before we placed our order.

Bummed.

Here is our story...

As soon as the X100D came out, I drove down to his office ready to upgrade our order to an X100D and he told me that if we upgraded our order we would loose free supercharging because our order would be moved into a different "price book". I was stunned. He said that the "price book" had never worked this way before and that he was truthful when he spoke in December but that now his hands were tied by a new set of rules. He suggested that we call Fremont, which we did. He is a good guy.

Due to constant innovation Tesla's internal business practices may change pretty often based on your recent tweets. Somehow those transitions need to be set up to make sure that new "price book" rules don't make for unpleasant customer surprises. As a customer, why should I have to worry about what a "price book" is?

We hope that you can make it possible for us to keep our place in line, keep free supercharging and modify our order to get the X100D as the Tesla manager promised.

I don't think you have real case here, either legal or ethical one.

It was obviously designed that you can't get 100D and free supercharger for life. Free supercharger expired before 100D was announced. As long as Tesla allows you to choose either 90D with free supercharger, or 100D without, that's fair. Otherwise you'd be the only one that has both.

I understand that you want both, but if I were in your shoes, I personally wouldn't feel entitled to it. And I just ordered inventory car yesterday, so I think I have a good grasp of one buyer's perspective.

Called Fremont and they said send them an email and it will be forwarded to Mr. Musk. Tweeted him asking to in effect watch for my email. Got a phone call from the regional office to tell me that they had verified that my email was truthful, it was thank you very much, but maybe it was me, just did not feel like everything was going to be ok after the phone call ended.

I think this cannot be the kind of outcome that makes for good word of mouth. Haven't told my neighbors about this mess. Was so excited.... Sweet X100D, sweet free supercharging, charging in our garage at night, sweet French Slate roof, free travel to see our friends in our retirement with a packed lunch and a tent.

It's just wrong.

...We even got Tesla email assurances that if we wanted to upgrade the battery of our vehicle years from now to the 100 or even higher, that we could count on that, too...

I do feel bad for you but you are not the only person who are caught in between versions of Tesla and got surprised with extra cost or in this case the loss of the benefit of free Supercharging.

It happens every single time, no fails.

All of what I can say is: Good Luck!

• Love
Reactions: twinlifenh
Hey, I was assured by email from the local Tesla manager that I could order a X90D in 12/2016 and upgrade to an X100D if that model was available before my car was built. Now that it has come down to it, Tesla has reneged on their advice....
Same thing happened to me, with a couple of differences. My order was placed on 1/14, so I was still within my seven day period where I could make changes with no penalty. Or cancel. After a couple of e-mails it became clear that the policy was no 100D's with free supercharging, and that this came from high up. So I canceled my order. After all, there's no hurry if I don't get free supercharging. I'm looking to trade up, replacing my P85 which I still love, so I'm in no particular hurry.

I figured that if enough people complained they might change their policy, but at this point it seems extremely unlikely.

If it's just about the money, don't worry too much about free supercharging; it's a rare person for whom it will make a difference of more than a few hundred dollars per year. And the 100D is a big win over the 90D for only $3000.

i still hope Elon will read this forum and make this for anyone who is in this pickle.

I have faith in his sense of right and wrong.
Unfortunately, at this point he's in a no-win situation. If he reverses the policy now, how does he apply it? The people that switched to the 100D now get the free supercharging? What about all the people that also wanted 100D's, but didn't switch to keep the supercharging? Let them change their orders to 100D's now? What if their window for change has expired because their cars are going into production? How do you make them whole? I'm afraid that if they were going to reverse, they needed to have done it within a couple of days of the announcement.

Well, all I can tell you is if that is what the manager told you he was either wrong or lying to you. Tesla has made changes to the "price book" many times, and has required people to cancel their order, place a new order, and transfer their deposit if they want the new features/prices. In the process of doing that they lose the old price and options. So you have to weigh if what you would lose is worth more to you than what you would gain to determine if you want to make the change.

Reactions: mhan00 and bonnie
But now, with the end of free supercharging any change.... Means your order will be canceled and a new order will be created under the new set of internal rules in the "price book". Seriously, that is way harsh.

Nope that isn't true either. You can still make any change to your order for the $500 fee as long as the change is still in the same "price book" that you ordered from. (Unless they have recently changed that, but I doubt it.)

My understanding was that any change to our order, any change at all, put us in the new price book. How do you figure out who is being truthful? I just want the business to work properly.

We were so trusting of Elon.

There should be a procedural difference when adding new advantages like autopilot, versus removing old advantages like free supercharging. The process need not be the same. Tesla may have missed an opportunity to innovate a better business practice for removing a benefit. The business models for removing a good or adding a good are by nature very different. Or so it seems to me....

How do we know how when to trust Tesla staff, going forward?

Should we forget the Tesla French slate roof for fear of this sort of snafu? Not ungrateful for everything Elon has done, just do not know who to believe when communicating with the company.

Elon has done a lot for all of us.... I still have to have faith in him.

Thinking about other options....

Hate this, hate this...

We are in the same situation, with the further complication that any change will result in us losing ventilated seats (which are no longer offered, I was told due to durability issues).

I moved most of my post to a new thread.

Last edited: