Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urgent: X90D to X100D order change problem, help needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swell idea. When I drive from my home in Chandler to son's SE Tucson home, the roundtrip is about 260 miles, which is far beyond my S60 full charge 210 range. The only relevant supercharger is about 30 miles South of me, which makes the trip feasible... barely.Your plan would punish me and why??

I think the idea is not to punish legitimate usage.

A few bad apples who abuse the system mess it up for the rest.

Perhaps if the miles was cut to 50 or limit the number of KW for "local" usage that could work.

This is all hypothetical anyway as USC is not an option anymore and people who have FUSC can abuse all they want to their hearts content.

Not an ideal situation.

Agreed, anybody who wants to have the latest and greatest for any significant period of time can not really buy a Tesla if the current policy persists.
Let me simplify that for you...
anybody who wants to have the latest and greatest for any significant period of time
... is apparently missing the point that this is a logical impossibility for any product that didn't stagnate 100 years ago.

Let me simplify that for you...

... is apparently missing the point that this is a logical impossibility for any product that didn't stagnate 100 years ago.

Obviously that is not what I meant by a significant time.

When you buy an iPhone 8 next autumn, you are pretty much guaranteed to have the latest and greatest iPhone for 10-11 months from receipt depending on when you get it. At least 6. That is a significant time.

Now, let's call the Tesla 100D as, say, Tesla 7. If you order a Tesla 7 today, you are likely to receive it either just before Tesla 8 launches if you are near the factory (end of Q1), or if you live abroad possibly get your Tesla 7 only after Tesla 8 or even Tesla 9 has already been launched as the batching and shipping times can easily result the delivery spanning three quarters.

When people bought a Tesla after the AP1/P85D/85D they also had a significant time with the latest and greatest. But this past year big changes have been spread over every quarter: facelift Q2, P100D Q3, AP2 and FUSC (and small like glass roof, five-seater X etc.) in Q4, 100D and end of FUSC (plus small like end of ventilation) Q1, Q2 might be the HUD etc...

Even Tesla knows this and has at least in the past considered it. It prompted them to make a statement after P85D/85D/AP1 launch that this would be the only significant change in a year (it didn't quite turn out that way, but still it was significant time). It was a great buying opportunity for those who wanted the latest and greatest. Since then, especially in 2016, buying a Tesla has become much harder with big constant changes instead of just small ones.

My worry is, the quarterly big changes, combined with deliver times that are often longer than a quarter, means constant Osborbing of the product when something better is just around the corner all the time. Had some of these been grouped to make sure not every quarter is a major change, this fear could be alleviated. E.g. AP2/P100D/100D could have been grouped, maybe even Model S facelift.

A year later is not just around the corner. But a quarter later certainly can be.

Last edited:
My worry is, the quarterly big changes, combined with deliver times that are often longer than a quarter, means constant Osborbing of the product when something better is just around the corner all the time.

I would guess that Tesla has calculated that with big quarterly updates, they make more money from the small group of people who constantly upgrade to the latest and greatest cars at $150k a pop (or more), then they lose from people not buying <$100k models because they're constantly waiting to jump into the pool.

I bet people would depreciate their car by 100 miles to save 2 bucks on electricity. :D
Indeed they do. I thought this kind of stupidity was only exhibited by ICE drivers who go miles and significant time out of their way to save a few cents per gallon on gas.

Apparently now those same confused thinkers are buying Teslas and getting their panties twisted re FUSC. It is such an immaterial monetary issue.

Reactions: HankLloydRight