Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urgh...my new car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but every single person I have let into my car left wanting to buy a Tesla. Every single person.

You should also stay away from assumptions like "I have my doubts that pleather will hold up." Why not ask the people who have been driving them for years. It hold up amazing and cleans better than any other seat material I have had.

The comments about build quality are confusing "You are really inspecting 'folds' and 'welds'"? and that is how you define car quality? Even with all the terrible articles out there about Tesla. This is a new one to me. Have never heard of.

I have to assume weak welds would affect crash tests. But yet Tesla does amazing. The welds really cant be bad...

This ... pretty much all of this. You come in with a negative mindset, you will find reason to hate ANY car. Folds and Welds? Do you really check those on every car you buy? I've never heard anyone mention those.

And yes every person I've let in my car started looking them up to see if they could swing one.

@Redbrick Sorry to hear about your pre-delivery problems and quality issues. My delivery process on a 2018 LR RWD went pretty smooth, with only a couple of hiccups along the way (didn't get some paperwork at delivery, tire pressure sensors were not properly calibrated and Las Vegas sales advisor told me that the front license plate holder would be mounted on the car - it wasn't but that's really what I wanted anyway). That my previous car (2000 BMW 323i) was ordered over the internet and arrived on a transporter near, instead of at, my house, probably makes me forgiving for some minor issues that traditional car dealers wouldn't have. As far as I can tell the quality of my car is good. Panel alignments are respectable and no paint issues. Yes, there are areas on the car that are not painted, but rarely do I get inside the trunk and look up. As far as the welding goes, I'm not an expert on that so I'll have to trust that the car will not fall apart in the next couple of decades.

All of my service experiences so far have been great. I've basically walked in without any appointment and got my tires patched / replaced. The tire pressure re-calibration was also done as a walk-up (this was before the car was updated to do it yourself). I've had an issue with not being able to get over-the-air updates applied and it was fixed, over-the-air. Recently I got my HW3 upgrade done in my own driveway in about 90 minutes. That's a lot better than the multiple times I went into the BMW dealer and got one of my window regulators replaced because they broke - in the same first two years of ownership, as my Tesla is now. Do I think that I'll never have any major issues with my 3? No. Probably because I subscribe to the following philosophy, which I'm sure you'll understand:

Ivanova: No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

This ... pretty much all of this. You come in with a negative mindset, you will find reason to hate ANY car. Folds and Welds? Do you really check those on every car you buy? I've never heard anyone mention those.

And yes every person I've let in my car started looking them up to see if they could swing one.
nope...just noticed this while washing my car. Yup, I get the same reaction from folks around me too, but I do not recommend. I like this car though...flaws and all.

The black pleather in my 3 holds up far better than any real leather I’ve had. 2 years and 35k miles and it still looks almost new.

My last car had Italian leather seats. They looked good still at 16 years.

This is my model 3 at 6 months. Those wrinkles don't come out. I have a service appointment for them coming up. IMG_20200623_181301.jpg

Yeah, I'm on the fence about longevity of the seat material myself. I'm nearing 1.5 years into ownership of mine, and the seat developed a small bubble/delam on the outer bottom bolster of the seat. Unfortunately not covered under warranty.

...but hey, at least we get to use Lysol wipes to clean our seats! The material is widely speculated(?) to be Ultrafabrics "Ultraleather" - Cleaning and Care | ultrafabrics

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-05-15 173515.jpg
    Annotation 2020-05-15 173515.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 64
@Redbrick Sorry to hear about your pre-delivery problems and quality issues. My delivery process on a 2018 LR RWD went pretty smooth, with only a couple of hiccups along the way (didn't get some paperwork at delivery, tire pressure sensors were not properly calibrated and Las Vegas sales advisor told me that the front license plate holder would be mounted on the car - it wasn't but that's really what I wanted anyway). That my previous car (2000 BMW 323i) was ordered over the internet and arrived on a transporter near, instead of at, my house, probably makes me forgiving for some minor issues that traditional car dealers wouldn't have. As far as I can tell the quality of my car is good. Panel alignments are respectable and no paint issues. Yes, there are areas on the car that are not painted, but rarely do I get inside the trunk and look up. As far as the welding goes, I'm not an expert on that so I'll have to trust that the car will not fall apart in the next couple of decades.

All of my service experiences so far have been great. I've basically walked in without any appointment and got my tires patched / replaced. The tire pressure re-calibration was also done as a walk-up (this was before the car was updated to do it yourself). I've had an issue with not being able to get over-the-air updates applied and it was fixed, over-the-air. Recently I got my HW3 upgrade done in my own driveway in about 90 minutes. That's a lot better than the multiple times I went into the BMW dealer and got one of my window regulators replaced because they broke - in the same first two years of ownership, as my Tesla is now. Do I think that I'll never have any major issues with my 3? No. Probably because I subscribe to the following philosophy, which I'm sure you'll understand:

Ivanova: No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

well quoted..exactly my sentiments. knocks on head. I'm jealous of your experience. I think we were dealing with a bunch of kids from Vegas...

Yeah, I'm on the fence about longevity of the seat material myself. I'm nearing 1.5 years into ownership of mine, and the seat developed a small bubble/delam on the outer bottom bolster of the seat. Unfortunately not covered under warranty.

...but hey, at least we get to use Lysol wipes to clean our seats! The material is widely speculated(?) to be Ultrafabrics "Ultraleather" - Cleaning and Care | ultrafabrics
Wow...thanks for sharing...what do you think did that?

Communication with Tesla was only good with the local sales guy. After ordering I had no idea what was happening, when was happening and so on. Everything was like a surprise. It was at the end of 2019. Delivery was smooth though.

Quality, I agree it's not the same as similar priced Audi or Merc. But then again, it's not an ICE car. ICE cars perfected so many things over last 40-50 years... And Tesla HAS to cut corners, otherwise it's hard to sell electric with current tech of batteries. Tesla is doing decent jobs with all the things considered. You have understand all of the issues and not compare to similar priced ICE cars.

Seats: I use towels in all of my cars, preserves material, absorbs sweat, etc, etc. Even on the arm rest. Getting into a car after a sweaty workout feels so much better.

Others have complained about the Las Vegas service center. It sounds like they just have bad management there. In Southern California if you have a bad experience at one service center there are many others you can try. But in Las Vegas you have no choice but to use that center. Unfortunately that can really taint your overall experience with the company. There’s not much you can do about it other than try to be patient with them. And always reject a car you are not happy with and wait for a better one to come along. Otherwise you start off the ownership experience on a negative.

I picked up my SR+ yesterday, there were panel gaps, broken plastic clips and scratches on mine. I also looked at the door metal folds and thought they were kind of poor. I noted the issues I have with my sales and deliver assistants today so we’ll see how far that goes. While there’s no major issues, it would be nice to have them corrected but I half expect that this is how it is with Tesla right now and accepted it, if they fix it, great, if not, I’ll drive it and move on in a couple of years regardless.

I’m ok with the quality of the vegan leather. But true. Not the greatest feel. My ct200 Lexus has the vegan luxe leather that was really nice. Caramel color. Held up 7 years no problem. Seats in the X are sooooo much more comfortable than the 3. Wish i could swap.

Communication with Tesla was only good with the local sales guy. After ordering I had no idea what was happening, when was happening and so on. Everything was like a surprise. It was at the end of 2019. Delivery was smooth though.

Quality, I agree it's not the same as similar priced Audi or Merc. But then again, it's not an ICE car. ICE cars perfected so many things over last 40-50 years... And Tesla HAS to cut corners, otherwise it's hard to sell electric with current tech of batteries. Tesla is doing decent jobs with all the things considered. You have understand all of the issues and not compare to similar priced ICE cars.

Seats: I use towels in all of my cars, preserves material, absorbs sweat, etc, etc. Even on the arm rest. Getting into a car after a sweaty workout feels so much better.
right on....totally agree with just about everything you've said.

Wow...thanks for sharing...what do you think did that?
It popped up after a couple of unseasonably hot days here in Seattle a month or two ago (it's an outside car as I don't have a garage). I'm also a shorty at 5'6", so when I swing my legs out to step out, my left foot doesn't touch the ground and it puts a bit of pressure on the bolster. :rolleyes: Perhaps the adhesive gave out in that fold.

Many Tesla owners remind me of BMW motorcycle owners (I own both) so ridiculous and picky to the point of ridiculous mi i. Just a general statement not in reference to the OP. This paranoia caused me when I got my car to go over every inch with a fine tooth comb, I have never ever done that with a single vehicle and when I just did the same thing on my Honda and Nissan for fun, I found many issues with it. Sometimes we are just ridiculous, it is a machine built by cheap labor, did my car have Minor issues yes, at this point I will never buy anything except a Tesla, between the tech, power, and the entire experience there is nothing like it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but every single person I have let into my car left wanting to buy a Tesla. Every single person.

You should also stay away from assumptions like "I have my doubts that pleather will hold up." Why not ask the people who have been driving them for years. It hold up amazing and cleans better than any other seat material I have had.

The comments about build quality are confusing "You are really inspecting 'folds' and 'welds'"? and that is how you define car quality? Even with all the terrible articles out there about Tesla. This is a new one to me. Have never heard of.

I have to assume weak welds would affect crash tests. But yet Tesla does amazing. The welds really cant be bad...

This guy (OP) is better than Munro, who actually disassembled the Teslas and said that the welds are very good.