TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

US Canadian Differences

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Baymax3, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Baymax3

Baymax3 Member

Anyone know if there are any physical differences between the Canadian and US Model 3's? I expect that there are software differences, like limiting the summon feature. Just curious about physical differences.

2. sm715

sm715 Member

Did you ever find an answer to this? Interested as Ive been assigned a Canadian VIN 3 times now (in Chicago) and DS keeps telling me there is no way I could get that car.

I get that it might be far away, but as far as differences fo, I figure its a simple software update to make it “American”

3. wtfuzz

wtfuzz Member

#3 wtfuzz, May 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    Probably just the FMVSS sticker on the door jamb, and the registration of the VIN in the corresponding country.

I’ve imported a BMW from the US to Canada, and it’s a bit of a process. There were no physical changes required, but it needed new stickers stating that it met Canadian standards after software changes and inspection for things like daytime running lights.

• Like x 1
  4. wtfuzz

wtfuzz Member

I have a sad story about trying to import my beloved BMW E46 M3 cabrio when I lived in Texas up to Canada. It was missing the FMVSS sticker (rear quarter was replaced and body shop never replaced sticker) and I spent 2 weeks to finally get a parts department to figure out how to get me one. I was so excited to get the sticker so I could get it imported, and the car was due to be loaded onto the moving truck the following weekend. 4 days before the move Hurricane Harvey rolled into Houston and flooded our property with 4.5 feet of water. The first floor of the house had to be gutted, and the car was a total loss. The water came half way up the windshield. RIP.