Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Cross Country Road Trip This Summer - 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to take my 4+ year old 56k mile Model S on a road-trip across the country this summer. It has been a dream of mine since I got the car, back when we really didn't believe Elon was going to actually be able to follow through on the Super Charger promise. Along the way I am having my kids (age 9 and 11) produce videos to explain what they are learning. It was the best way I could see to actually get them more engaged in the trip as we go. Our route and plans are outlined in:

I would love any tips and tricks. I think we are pretty good on charging except in Huntsville, AL. The route from Huntsville to the Super Charger in Chattanooga is pretty close. We will find a slow charger there.

In our test Video we rated the Super Charger stop, but I think we will actually just call out the cool things you can do when we find out. It does no good to rate a Super Charger stop if you have no real choice on where to stop....

plan your longer charging sessions around meal breaks, try to use hotels with chargers and avoid that first charge stop of the day.
be sure to account for weather on the fly as conditions change.
learn the areas where there are constant wind issues.
learn the elevation changes along the route
plan plan plan.
and lastly as you plan your SpC stops, search the forums for discussions on those SpC sites and try to gain some insights from the locals and those who have used those SpCs.

some more I just thought of, get a heavy duty 110 extension cord for charging overnight in places without a L2, those 40 or 50 miles you pick up can be helpful. consider getting your hands on a chademo adaptor.
get the plugshare and rv parky apps. and if you do ever stop at an RV site for a charge ask for their 50 amp service, most places have no clue as to what a 14-50 is

Looks like lots of fun. I'm doing the same thing in the reverse direction for about 10,000 miles. Are you stopping in Custer, SD for the Tesla rally? If so, I'll see you there.

Wow, 10,000 - that is a lot of driving. May be easier for you as I see you have an AP era S. I got mine so long ago it does not even have a backup sensor (does have a camera). No it looks like the timing does not work for Custer this year.

plan your longer charging sessions around meal breaks, try to use hotels with chargers and avoid that first charge stop of the day.
be sure to account for weather on the fly as conditions change.
learn the areas where there are constant wind issues.
learn the elevation changes along the route
plan plan plan.
and lastly as you plan your SpC stops, search the forums for discussions on those SpC sites and try to gain some insights from the locals and those who have used those SpCs.

some more I just thought of, get a heavy duty 110 extension cord for charging overnight in places without a L2, those 40 or 50 miles you pick up can be helpful. consider getting your hands on a chademo adaptor.
get the plugshare and rv parky apps. and if you do ever stop at an RV site for a charge ask for their 50 amp service, most places have no clue as to what a 14-50 is

I have been wondering about a chamedo adaptor. I just checked out the rental rates and with a trip my size we almost pay for it. Good advice on the cord. I have plugged in 110 before on trips to give me that bit of extra range. Funny story there, once about 3 1/2 years ago in Disney Land I plugged into a 110 outlet the hotel suggested, but it turned out the circuit the 110 outlet was on was hooked up to the Christmas Light display so we only got power at night when the lights were on!

I am planning to take my 4+ year old 56k mile Model S on a road-trip across the country this summer. It has been a dream of mine since I got the car, back when we really didn't believe Elon was going to actually be able to follow through on the Super Charger promise. Along the way I am having my kids (age 9 and 11) produce videos to explain what they are learning. It was the best way I could see to actually get them more engaged in the trip as we go. Our route and plans are outlined in:

I would love any tips and tricks. I think we are pretty good on charging except in Huntsville, AL. The route from Huntsville to the Super Charger in Chattanooga is pretty close. We will find a slow charger there.

In our test Video we rated the Super Charger stop, but I think we will actually just call out the cool things you can do when we find out. It does no good to rate a Super Charger stop if you have no real choice on where to stop....

Im heading from LA - NY on May 31 then down to FL and back to LA :)

Reactions: wcolyer
I just did Sacramento CA to Virginia Beach VA last month. Southern/Central US for the trip there and northern US for the trip back. Best advice I can give is to watch out for the Midwest winds when heading west... I had more than a few nervous moments, and one part of the trip where I arrived with two miles left on my S75 battery! Strong winds and highway speed limits of 80 combine to destroy range.

Im heading from LA - NY on May 31 then down to FL and back to LA :)
Have a great trip! Our long distance road trips with our 2014 S85 such as West Coast/Canada, Utah Parks, and recent winetasting trips, have been great! There is usually one time when you cut it just a bit close, but with your excellent planning, it should be fantastic. Look forward to your impressions.

Reactions: wcolyer