Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per Elon 2 years ago the AP2 computer was good enough for FSD. Then came 2.5. Now 3 is coming. FSD isn't here yet.

So I wouldn't put much stock in that remark.

AP 2.0 to 2.5 to 3.0 changes were only the computer (assuming the 3.0 interior camera is for Tesla Network, not driving and the radar vendor change was not due to performance constraints.)

• Disagree
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
AP 2.0 to 2.5 to 3.0 changes were only the computer (assuming the 3.0 interior camera is for Tesla Network, not driving and the radar vendor change was not due to performance constraints.)

2->2.5 was more than the computer...they added wiring redundancy for example (pretty important for FSD), that's in addition to the radar and interior camera stuff.

But point was Elon has said "This is all the HW you need for FSD" in the past and then been wrong about it...twice so far (with 2 and 2.5) so repeating that he's said it again isn't terribly meaningful.

2->2.5 was more than the computer...they added wiring redundancy for example (pretty important for FSD), that's in addition to the radar and interior camera stuff.

But point was Elon has said "This is all the HW you need for FSD" in the past and then been wrong about it...twice so far (with 2 and 2.5) so repeating that he's said it again isn't terribly meaningful.

I get your point, but even back when, he hedged that 2.0 would not be sufficient, but has not moved on the sensor suite.

Regarding the extra redundancy, I think that will differentiate the Tesla Network capable (Model 3 onwards, no occupant required) from the not.

Autopilot 2.5 has an upgraded sensor suite so that too has moved? Compared to 2.0 it has new radar, more color channel cameras replacing black-white-red cameras and adding new interior camera though so far in Model 3 only.

The color range changed? I missed that detail (and am failing to find it on Google, but it seems to ring a bell), see disclaimers in post #601 ;)

Interesting news... Tesla launches new Model 3 with ‘mid-range’ battery for $45,000, changes pricing structure

The new Mid-range model should be eligible for the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit with delivery in 6-10 weeks... :cool:

upload_2018-10-18_19-28-13.png

Honestly not super surprised about the LR RWD going away, that was a matter of time...

Note the MR (mid range) has the same 0-60 as the SR does....5 slower than the LR RWD....and just 40 miles more range than the SR for the 5k battery pack difference (instead of 9k for the 90 extra miles in the LR pack).

This is a pretty weird offering... it's almost like they wanted to do the SR pack but needed to get some more profit this quarter, so they figured they'd dangle a mid-sized battery for 5k in exchange for getting it in time for the tax credit...(and making you take the 5k premium interior package)

Also reinforces the idea the next car will be the same car but 5k less with the SR battery (still requiring PUP for 5k)

Reactions: FlatSix911
Honestly not super surprised about the LR RWD going away, that was a matter of time...

Note the MR (mid range) has the same 0-60 as the SR does....5 slower than the LR RWD....and just 40 miles more range than the SR for the 5k battery pack difference (instead of 9k for the 90 extra miles in the LR pack).

This is a pretty weird offering... it's almost like they wanted to do the SR pack but needed to get some more profit this quarter, so they figured they'd dangle a mid-sized battery for 5k in exchange for getting it in time for the tax credit...(and making you take the 5k premium interior package)

Also reinforces the idea the next car will be the same car but 5k less with the SR battery (still requiring PUP for 5k)

Per Elon's tweet, it seems the choice was either make under filled LR packs now, or wait till February to get the SR pack in production.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: Troy916
It's December 18th out here already... I'm assuming there will definitely be no extension to the $7,500 rebate at this point

The EV rebate is a very, very low priority at this point. There are questions whether there are enough votes to get the budget extension passed in the House by the end of this week. A lot of House Reps who lost or are retiring packed up their offices and went home.

The idea of an extension doesn't die at the end of this year, but I always thought it was a longshot in any case. Congress could pass an extension any time next year and grandfather it back to Jan 1. Nobody is actually affected by the $7500 halving until they do their 2019 taxes in 2020.

GM is now due to start the phase out the tax credit in 2019... GM Hits Federal Tax Credit Phase-Out Of 200,000 EVs Sold In U.S.

This means that:
  • by the end of March 2019: full $7,500 incentive will be available only for one more quarter
  • between April 1, 2019 and September 30, 2019: maximum will be just 50% ($3,750)
  • between October 1,2019 to March 31, 2020: maximum will be just 25% ($1,875)
  • from April 1, 2020: no federal tax credit

GM is now due to start the phase out the tax credit in 2019... GM Hits Federal Tax Credit Phase-Out Of 200,000 EVs Sold In U.S.

This means that:
  • by the end of March 2019: full $7,500 incentive will be available only for one more quarter
  • between April 1, 2019 and September 30, 2019: maximum will be just 50% ($3,750)
  • between October 1,2019 to March 31, 2020: maximum will be just 25% ($1,875)
  • from April 1, 2020: no federal tax credit

Hopefully the article's "estimate" is off, since GM itself hasn't said anything. I'd like to think that they would do what Tesla did and push it to the beginning of a quarter, especially if they're within two weeks of the end of a quarter. I know, I know, it's GM, but they have to care at least a little bit .... maybe...?

Hopefully the article's "estimate" is off, since GM itself hasn't said anything. I'd like to think that they would do what Tesla did and push it to the beginning of a quarter, especially if they're within two weeks of the end of a quarter. I know, I know, it's GM, but they have to care at least a little bit .... maybe...?

But how could GM? They are at the mercy of all their dealers that have stock on hand and are pushing year end sales.

But how could GM? They are at the mercy of all their dealers that have stock on hand and are pushing year end sales.
I was just thinking that they could have stopped selling/delivering to their dealers for a couple of weeks. Of course I guess they'd have no way of knowing how much unsold inventory the dealers had. Sounds like further backing for Tesla's way of doing it.

GM hit the "dinger" at just about the worst possible point in the quarter. Though they don't have a mass production EV ramping up like Tesla did. Tesla will probably sell more EVs during the phase out period than the rest of car makers combined during their phase outs.