Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not aware of any US reservationist being told that SR dual motor will be available as early as Canadians are now being told it will be ("mid-2018"). Have you seen something on this I haven't?
1) There are some day 1, owners that have AWD showing up as mid-2018.
2) How are you concluding that the SR AWD will be available mid-2018? If it's from the Model 3 "Delivery Estimate" page on the Tesla website, that's a very dodgy conclusion.

1) There are some day 1, owners that have AWD showing up as mid-2018.

Currently?

I was in the second group of owners to be invited to configure, and that used to be the case for me, but that got pushed out for me about a month ago. Can you confirm that currently any in the first US owner group invited to configure are still being told "mid-2018" for dual motor?

2) How are you concluding that the SR AWD will be available mid-2018? If it's from the Model 3 "Delivery Estimate" page on the Tesla website, that's a very dodgy conclusion.

This is the estimated time to which Canadians (owners and non-owners) were updated about a month ago... at the same time US owners like myself were pushed out on dual motors to a time after the Canadian timeframe.

Are the dates vague and open to revision? Yup. If you read my original comment again, my point was that it is hard to argue that Tesla is not positioning itself to be able to execute such a strategy if all the pieces continue to fall into place. Vague language notwithstanding, I don't think Tesla would have leapfrogged Canadians (including non-owners) ahead of all US reservationists (so, including owners) on any configuration estimate without a conscious decision to do so.

I wouldn't assume someone who entered their info in February would come back to update a detail like a change in what the website is showing for dual motor. It's possible, but, I would look for a more explicit statement by someone that they currently still show mid-2018 for dual motor.
I'm casting doubt specifically on the SR part.

LR AWD sure, but you shouldn't expect SR AWD until end of the year.

I don't expect SR being available for me until end of year at best... but it seems at least 50% likely that Canadians will get SR dual motor sooner than that.

Big picture, if what I think Tesla is trying to do does happen, we'll have super strong evidence within about 3-4 weeks, as they'd very likely invite Canadians to configure by then... so, we can make our case either way, but, soon enough, things are very likely to be clear one way or the other.

I wouldn't assume someone who entered their info in February would come back to update a detail like a change in what the website is showing for dual motor.
That field was cleared after Tesla did the big adjustment to the Delivery Estimate page data. It's all new data.

.. but it seems at least 50% likely that Canadians will get SR dual motor sooner than that.

Citation? Because that is NOT what the Delivery Estimate page claims. You might read it that way but you're extrapolating and assuming in ways that are not sound.

EDIT: ...aaaand now they've changed the wording, I'd guess to remove that misconception. Dual Motor no longer offers range choice

Last edited:
Canadian Montreal estimate Dual Motor no longer offers range choice
iEmWwhy.png

That field was cleared after Tesla did the big adjustment to the Delivery Estimate page data. It's all new data.

Citation? Because that is NOT what the Delivery Estimate page claims. You might read it that way but you're extrapolating and assuming in ways that are not sound.

EDIT: ...aaaand now they've changed the wording, I'd guess to remove that misconception. Dual Motor no longer offers range choice

Image in Electrek article shows Canadians being told dual motor, including SR, mid-2018,

Tesla Model 3 is expanding to Canada sooner than originally planned

this thread might also be of interest to you

Canadian Delivery Estimates Updated

Image in Electrek article shows Canadians being told dual motor, including SR, mid-2018,

Tesla Model 3 is expanding to Canada sooner than originally planned

this thread might also be of interest to you

Canadian Delivery Estimates Updated
Please take the time to follow the link I provided, that is happening NOW. Almost certainly your link is wrong and you are wrong. I understand why, it had to do with wording choices Tesla made originally when there wasn't this AWD before [rear wheel] SR situation.

Please take the time to follow the link I provided, that is happening NOW. Almost certainly your link is wrong and you are wrong. I understand why, it had to do with wording choices Tesla made originally when there wasn't this AWD before [rear wheel] SR situation.

Okay, I read that thread, and people did post some new information there today. We’ve gone from the website implying SR dual motor will be available when dual motor becomes available to it being ambiguous. I’d agree that somewhat makes the scenario I’ve suggested less heavily hinted, but, I still think it’s more likely than not what is happening. Tesla kicked a bees nest when they announced the changes that leapfrogged Canadian reservation holders in front of many US reservation holders. The most convincing explanation for a decision that incurred such displeasure with Tesla is that it is ultimately better for US reservation holders by extending the tax credit. I’m okay with the possibility that this is not what is happening- I never mistook any scenario as a ‘certainty.’

We’ve gone from the website implying SR dual motor will be available when dual motor becomes available to it being ambiguous.

I'd argue it was always ambiguous about the SR AWD timing, just in an [inadvertently] suggestive way. ;)

Tesla kicked a bees nest when they announced the changes that leapfrogged Canadian reservation holders in front of many US reservation holders. The most convincing explanation for a decision that incurred such displeasure with Tesla is that it is ultimately better for US reservation holders by extending the tax credit.

An even stronger explanation is the possible impending termination of an even larger rebate (not even tax credit) in Ontario, the most populous province and the prime Tesla market Canada. Although little of column A, a little of column B would be the optimum outcome.

I'd argue it was always ambiguous about the SR AWD timing, just in an [inadvertently] suggestive way. ;)

An even stronger explanation is the possible impending termination of an even larger rebate (not even tax credit) in Ontario, the most populous province and the prime Tesla market Canada. Although little of column A, a little of column B would be the optimum outcome.

I considered that last month while I was trying to understand what Tesla was as doing. Then I saw reservation holders in other Canadian provinces (no rebate at stake) leapfrogging over US reservation holders (whose rebate amount is at stake) and found that scenario less compelling.

Re ambiguity you mentioned, agree, there was always some.

I considered that last month while I was trying to understand what Tesla was as doing. Then I saw reservation holders in other Canadian provinces (no rebate at stake) leapfrogging over US reservation holders (whose rebate amount is at stake) and found that scenario less compelling.
They might have decided that the numbers headed to other provinces weren't worth differentiating. The biggest effort is going to be sorting out the initial paperwork & logistics processes. Plus if you think the ire raised by diversion to Canada would be something, well the ire in Canada outside of Ontario having a year differential split like that would be.....next level. ;)

Musk likes two-fers, take for example the Heavy Falcon launch. Which was actually at least a 4-fer, testing the rocket, the much hotter 3-thruster landing on the barge, certifying the astronaut suit (that's what Starman was 'wearing'), and the PR coup (and team moral boosting, with all their names engraved) Tesla Roadster in space photos.

Last edited:
They might have decided that the numbers headed to other provinces weren't worth differentiating. The biggest effort is going to be sorting out the initial paperwork & logistics processes. Plus if you think the ire raised by diversion to Canada would be something, well the ire in Canada outside of Ontario having a year differential split like that would be.....next level. ;)

Musk likes two-fers, take for example the Heavy Falcon launch. Which was actually at least a 4-fer, testing the rocket, the much hotter 3-thruster landing on the barge, certifying the astronaut suit (that's what Starman was 'wearing'), and the PR coup (and team moral boosting, with all their names engraved) Tesla Roadster in space photos.

By two-fer you mean getting more EVs to Canada before Ontario incentive might be ended, and, deferring 200,000th US delivery to Q3?

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Do we need to do anything once we get our model 3 with the federal tax credit? Or just wait till we file taxes next year?
As AurZig1 says, you claim the tax credit when you file your income tax for the year in which you took possession of the vehicle. The form to claim it is 8879, if you want to check out the one for 2017 on the information you need to fill in. Note that if you are normally an early e-filer, this year those of us with a claim on the 8936 had to wait until into March for the official release of the 2017 version of the form.