Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that @Shmackers mentioned this yesterday, sorry.

As far as all the talk about what a sale is and when it is final, I don't think Tesla or the IRS are going to investigate down to the state level to determine this. I think Tesla will report the number of sales they have completed from their point of view and the IRS will accept that, unless there is some sign of obvious fraud.

They have to have evidence. Dont kid yourself other automakers will sue if they think that funny business is going on.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Consumers don't need to know the delivery date and calculate the phase out. Tesla will follow the rules for them to provide certification to consumers to rely on, including the amount of the credit to which they are entitled.
.02 Purchaser’s Reliance. Except as provided in section 5.07 of this notice, a purchaser of a motor vehicle may rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign vehicle manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification concerning the vehicle and the amount of the credit allowable with respect to the vehicle (including in cases in which the certification is received after the purchase of the vehicle). The purchaser may claim a credit in the certified amount with respect to the vehicle if the following requirements are satisfied:

(1) The vehicle is placed in service by the taxpayer in a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2009, and is acquired by the taxpayer after December 31, 2009;

(2) The original use of the vehicle commences with the taxpayer;

(3) The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale; and

(4) The vehicle is used predominantly in the United States.​

03 Content of Certification. The certification must contain the following:​

(1) The name, address, and taxpayer identification number of the certifying entity.

(2) The make, model, model year, and any other appropriate identifiers of the motor vehicle.

(3) A statement that the vehicle is made by a manufacturer.

(4) A statement that the vehicle is treated as a motor vehicle for purposes of Title II of the Clean Air Act.

(5) The amount of the credit for the vehicle (showing computations).

My apologies, am I confusing this discussion with the one regarding the date of sale vs date of clerk doing paperwork discussion as regards title transfer? because this solves that one.

If the acquiring date were dependent on the state processing the paperwork (delayed transfer of title), there is no way Tesla could provide the credit amount. Maybe it's soon, maybe it's after the next phase out step. The only way any of this works is if acquiring is the date of purchase/ taking delivery/ putting in service...

(there was a case where people 'bought' a car while a credit was available, but couldn't drive it till many months later when it actually existed (likely wasn't even build at time of purchase)...)

Maybe there is some rule that OEMs don't have to own their cars before sale in a different way -- , but I couldn't find that they had any exclusion from the above rule.

As I mentioned I couldn't find any rule that said OEM's don't have to title or don't have to follow the transfer title procedures when they sell to the first buyer. I note that certificate of origin can coexist and doesn't replace a certificate of title.

Also note that certificating a title, and the lack of certification of a title (by paper or electronic) doesn't mean that title doesn't legally exist as something to be transferred effectively or not.

Would be happy to see any authority that says OEMs can transfer a car (usually legally requiring transfer of title, even if title is not yet certificated) without following the rules for transferring title.

If the acquiring date were dependent on the state processing the paperwork (delayed transfer of title), there is no way Tesla could provide the credit amount.

I don't know who said that but I never did. I just quoted the Cal rules that I found and I never saw a rule that referred to the state processing paperwork. Maybe some state has such a rule.

I don't know who said that but I never did. I just quoted the Cal rules that I found and I never saw a rule that referred to the state processing paperwork. Maybe some state has such a rule.

Well that clears things up. Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for the data that helps that argument.

So are we discussing Tesla's Q2 EV IRS number and whether they could shift the sales date via delayed mailing?

One point of data for California: I purchased a new car (not Tesla) from a California dealer on Nov. 30, 2016, and drove it off the lot that day. My title has an issue date of Dec. 17, 2016 but the title states that my registration renewal date is Dec. 2, 2017. I received the paper title document in mid-January 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
One point of data for California: I purchased a new car (not Tesla) from a California dealer on Nov. 30, 2016, and drove it off the lot that day. My title has an issue date of Dec. 17, 2016 but the title states that my registration renewal date is Dec. 2, 2017. I received the paper title document in mid-January 2017.

What is your odometer date?
Edit: assuming the examples I saw are accurate regarding its existence..

Date of odometer is 11/30/2016, 16 miles. Registration date 12/2, Title Issue 12/17. What these mean legally I don't know.

Thanks!
Legally? who knows?
Odo: date purchased
Issued: date title actually printed/ issued

From a tax credit POV, I think a strong case could be made for the odo date as that was the placed in service point, if the IRS made a stink...

• Informative
Reactions: UZJedi and DR61
Here is an update someone caught on Reddit, confirming they hit or will hit 200k in Q3.

Electric Vehicle Incentives
Great, now we at last have the answer

C8F54084-F283-4A82-B50C-FBB5C58DD22D.jpeg

Great! The dream of getting a sub $30k Tesla is still alive....nice.
Outside of prior Tesla owners that were standing at the front of a storefront line in Colorado when reservation taking opened, that still seems extremely unlikely. Especially since it appears they are opening up ordering of LR/D/P PUPs to everyone, not ever prior reservation holders, in Canada and the US.

SR + PUP = $40K - $7.5K = $32.5K

That drops to $30K in CA but outside of CO no way it's coming in under $30K.

Reactions: alseTrick