TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

US government needs a "standard" in EV charging stations

Discussion in 'North America' started by Barryfins, Jul 31, 2014.

1. rcc

rcc Model S 85KW, VIN #2236

There's a saying in the computer world: "The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from."

Making something a standard is no guarantee that it will be widely used. We're going to have to see what wins out.

The SAE standard for L2 charging is looking like a winner. But I think the jury is still out for fast DC charging.

2. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It doesn't matter because everyone's missing the point. In the future you only charge at home. Only trucks charge at stops.

3. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Yes, for a very large part. However there are 3 exceptions that matter: long distance travel, destinations (resorts, hotels) and, to a lesser extent, places of employment. All those public L2s could go away tomorrow with no ill effects. People are smart enough to not buy an EV with less range than their daily and weekly driving needs.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The government shouldn't invent a standard nor only allow a single standard, but it does sometimes help if they mandate a "minimal" standard. For example, when CCS was set as the minimal standard in the EU, the number of chargers installed exploded after the market uncertainty was eliminated.

And sometimes they do make the "right" decision when they do pick a single standard (for example Type 2 over Type 1 and Type 3, or the microUSB standard in the phone industry).

5. bonnie

bonnie I play a nice person on twitter.

Two thumbs down to the government getting involved in establishing a standard. The market will sort it out.

6. James Anders

James Anders Member

And let's not forget that all of Tesla's charger and plug designs are now free and open.

7. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

The only uncertainty in Europe was whether there would be ANY of the CCS Combo2 plugs (which are not interchangeable with the SAE CCS Combo1 that are present in the USA only).

CHAdeMO, Chameleon, and Supercharger are doing just fine in Europe without government mandate. The only thing the EU government did was mandate a fourth standard that was not established.

The same would likely happen here with government intervention. Every government mandated station is one that can't power the actual electric cars that already exist in the world in volume; Nissan LEAF and Mitisubishi iMiev variants (about 180,000 cars worldwide that use CHAdeMO) and Tesla Model S (about 35,000 cars that uses Supercharger and soon CHAdeMO with adaptor).

What German car makers tried to do in Europe is eliminate competition with government regulation.

They failed at that, miserably. Now, other standards are protected after many rewrites of the EU rules.

8. woof

woof Fluffy Member

Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it. As a history lesson, I bring you what happens when industry "collaborates": Open Systems Interconnection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And then the government gets involved:

OSI Protocol Suite vs. GOSIP

So here was a standard no one wanted (because the industry players involved already had their own better proprietary protocols), that everyone was forced to use by the government if they wanted to sell equipment to the government.

And by then, the older proprietary stuff was abandoned anyway in favor of the newer, faster, and (mostly) better technology anyway.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

No thanks. I prefer my Model S connector to everything else I've seen used with EVs (J1772, Frankenplug, CHAdeMO, 14-50, etc.).

If it was government designed it would be larger than a gas nozzle and additional requirements would likely limit it to 1kW.

10. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

+100. The tesla design is best of breed. Simple, elegant, clean. J1772 is a distant second and everything else is beyond fugly.

11. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

The usual problem with government design is that every Congressman and Senator adds their pork to the design so that it changes 300+ times. That's how we got the $10,000 toilet seat at NASA.

12. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Like some have already mentioned, I will throw my hat in with theirs by saying, The more our government stays OUT OF my car, my house, my love life, my weapons of choice, and my family the happier I will be! Let the industry establish the standards in a free-market society and may the best options win.

13. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member