Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Government Support Needed for Home EV Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mandating is still meddling. They government is just as likely to mandate H2 detectors in indoor parking to enable H2 vehicles.
'Today, any home builder who doesn't wire for EVs is just relegating their products to low-end buyers. Just as we see hotels rushing to install EV charging, same with home builders. Their mistake, let them pay.
No government meddling is needed and it keeps things clean and indisputable.

In some ways I do agree that it would be better for the "free market" to pick up on this need/demand but sometimes we do need laws and regulations to move forward; for example the laws in Cali that disallows HOAs from outright denying installation of EV charging for private use is a good example of good mandating to me.

Reactions: msm859
@Earl has a good point about the independent charging networks. EVgo started to really grow out of NRG who was penalized by the State of California for manipulating energy prices after generation deregulation in the State. They were forced to install 200 charging sites and "make ready" even more sites. Of course, we all know the Electrify America story from Dieselgate. The California Energy Commission also issued a bunch of grants for highway fast chargers. ChargePoint is by far the largest beneficiary of that program. This is a map of all the CEC funded sites. Ignore the blue ones - Recargo completely failed to deploy their funded sites and officially got a stop work order from the CEC for the sites marked with X icons.

CEC Site Map.jpg

You really need government mandates or meddling for situations where private sector investment may not make sense but it’s in the national interest to do so. Having lived through the 70’s, I recall the economic pain caused by the Arab oil embargo and the government’s vow to lessen our dependence on imported oil.

If government mandates to install EV charging as ubiquitous as gas stations are today, then I support it for many reasons; with national security among them.

Agree that government should not be installing charging stations or mandating them at specific locations. Government should incentivize private industry/investment in charging infrastructure. Private investment will properly vet location and size to fit needs. Curious why power companies are not pushing this more or jumping on board as it would enable them to sell more electricity at off-peak hours.

Like the idea of housing code that requires 240 VAC connections in a garage, similar to your house having that in kitchen and laundry rooms. Expect that would be done at a local level, not mandated nationally.

Yes, I recall the Arab oil embargo and the mess it triggered. Since then, the importation of oil has been largely strategic to maintain domestic reserves in the event of another embargo. Whatever the case, the sooner we get away from fossil fuels the better. How many wars or disputes have been fought over that stuff ? Imagine a world where it has hardly any value ?

I feel like at the state/local level they'll need to write into the code installing NEMA 14-50 to the garage of new homes, or at least running the wire and having the breaker sized for it. Builders don't seem to be jumping on that in most states as a "selling factor" and instead are more than happy to build 1700 sq ft houses for $400k+ and still saying something like "three cable outlets in house, more extra per plan" and crap. They're not going to spend an extra hundred bucks or something unless forced to.

I think the government should fund charging stations in all national parks and possibly match state level funds for charging in the top 5 most visited state parks in each state or something. These parks tend to be far away from built up areas, in the mountains, on the coast, or all of those combined. It would be nice knowing during all seasons of the year you could head to the park and not worry about the return trip, especially if you want to tow a boat or something. These locations are also going to be "red tape" since they're state or federal land and also are probably going to be less trafficked locations compared to major highways.

I think the states and feds will probably have to step in for high density housing charging systems. I just don't think apartments are going to foot the cost initially in any meaningful way. Maybe two, four, even six chargers, but probably not 20% of parking spaces with level 2 chargers or something. In five years you'll really start to see those places with just a couple chargers have capacity issues pretty fast.

What I would like to see most is a federal rebate for lower income families (not sure how low, probably needs to be localized also) for home charger install costs. Cover the cost of made in America equipment and labor of licensed electricians. Maybe the homeowner needs to pay the first $500 and then anything past that is covered by the grant with some max limits on the cost for specific items. (Cost per foot of wire, cost for outlet install, cost for panel upgrade, etc) Electricians that want easy money will take those jobs and accept the amount allocated for the job, or they'll charge above and probably miss out on these jobs. I was lucky that my install was around $500, but what if I had to pay $500 for the cable run (old homes seem to have panels NOT in the garage) and maybe $1000 for a panel upgrade because it's old or doesn't have the room etc, and maybe another $500 or something for a level 2 charger that can be placed outside because the house doesn't have a garage. Maybe I could just afford a $38k EV but spending another $2,000 just to charge at home might push the budget past what I can afford. It also isn't always safe plugging into old standard outlets. The outlet I had been charging a previous Volt on was ~50 years old and when the electrician came to replace that while doing the NEMA 14-50 install job he showed me how horrible it looked inside. Plastic that was starting to melt some and discolored areas, he said it was a fire hazard. Even though I had the Volt at 12 amps and the circuit was 15 amps, 8+ hours of charging on that was taking its toll on 50 year old hardware.

If the government really wants to go green, it needs to be easy and affordable, and that includes home charging. This supports American skilled craft jobs (electricians) and manufacturing (only made in America EV charging equipment should qualify). Sure it'll be a huge amount of money, but it's dumped right back into wages which will go back into the system. I think like half the homes in America are 30 or 40 years old... upgrades will be more expensive with those and are likely largely owned by lower income owners...

Reactions: GTi_roadkill
I think the government should fund charging stations in all national parks and possibly match state level funds for charging in the top 5 most visited state parks in each state or something. These parks tend to be far away from built up areas, in the mountains, on the coast, or all of those combined. It would be nice knowing during all seasons of the year you could head to the park and not worry about the return trip, especially if you want to tow a boat or something. These locations are also going to be "red tape" since they're state or federal land and also are probably going to be less trafficked locations compared to major highways.
I have visited many National Parks and State Parks, and I would love for significant DC chargers to be built to serve them.

Unfortunately, even pre-COVID their infrastructure was close to overwhelmed, now much worse with Summer-2021-reawakening crowds (I cannot call today post-COVID). Obviously depends upon which National Park, but even pre-COVID there were lines for car's entering, car parking at Visitor Centers and trail heads, bathrooms, etc.

It is a shame, since our National Parks are a wonderful asset which should be cherished and invested... but like alot Federal budget items they are hanging out with minimum investment not keeping up with the crowds or sometimes even inflation

Reactions: Prairie
I agree that our national parks are a great resource that they need some TLC.

But for a national park I think the scenario is people who pull into a spot and stay there for the better part of a day. For that I think large numbers of L2 chargers is the right way to go. L3 chargers would be overkill, and the expense would limit them to a handful of plugs. I think parks should plan that in 10-15 years every parking spot would have an L2...obviously don't go directly to that now, but retrofit an entire row of parking, then do another row in a couple of years, rinse and repeat.

I just don't think L3 charging there makes sense. If somebody hasn't fully charged by the time they're ready to leave the park, then they've at least picked up enough to get out of the park to a commercial L3.

Ah yes, I should have been clear about L2’s at national and state parks and recreation areas. Even if up in the mountains or towing the boat to a lake, 6.6kW should be fine to get back home after a day of fun (5 hours would be ~40% of a 75kWh battery which should get you back to a DCFC). They should overbuild right now though, like Tesla did (which it quickly caught up to Tesla). None of this “2 chargers at one gate/parking location in the park and that’s it.”

Rather then building as many as 500,000 EV charging stations, the US government should take advantage of the fact that the overwhelming majority of EV charging is done in home garages.

As is already the case in some locations, they should pass a law that all new home garages must have 240-volt electrical wiring and the proper electrical outlets to charge an electric car. This would not cost the government and its taxpayers anything. They should also consider offering full or partial credits to those who install such electrical improvements in existing home garages.
My electrician (in a significantly rural area) said that the new federal electrical code mandates all new garages after 2022 must have a 240 volt outlet.

My electrician (in a significantly rural area) said that the new federal electrical code mandates all new garages after 2022 must have a 240 volt outlet.

This sounds good, but I'm having trouble locating more information. The National Electrical Code ("national", not "federal") is updated every three years, with the current revision dated 2020. I've tried googling half a dozen things and I'm not having luck.

I did learn, though, that the IEEE has their own NESC (National Electrical Safety Code). I don't know what that is... maybe it serves as guidance to the NEC, or perhaps adopted verbatim by countries/jurisdictions that don't want to roll their own?

This sounds good, but I'm having trouble locating more information. The National Electrical Code ("national", not "federal") is updated every three years, with the current revision dated 2020. I've tried googling half a dozen things and I'm not having luck.

I did learn, though, that the IEEE has their own NESC (National Electrical Safety Code). I don't know what that is... maybe it serves as guidance to the NEC, or perhaps adopted verbatim by countries/jurisdictions that don't want to roll their own?
I’ll ask him for details when he comes to install the wall charger

My error! Apologies!! Apparently the code revision mandates only that each bay of a garage have an electrical outlet. Well, it’s a start……from zero outlets to one per bay.